Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Exactly what they don't need there.

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4851
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:12 am

NYKiter wrote:Can you blame them? Some douche bag probably lawn mowed them over...
Any way to work together with them? Have them alert a steward who will come down and keep things safe. Are there signs? Not my business...but my group is trying to have IKO send us signs or provide language (I know this is not the ideal organization :lol:) but civilians like this sort of thing.

Guess you missed the closed thread.

Work with them? Sure, the only solution they'd accept is all kiters, globally, burning their kites and strings and taking up swimming. In the diving pool. Cos those fuckers are really dangerous and we gotta shut them down... send in the small children!

User avatar
RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8703
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Location: Florida

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby RickI » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:06 am

It's been years since I thought about this at this launch. Looks like winds were slightly side off catching wind shadow from the trees. This makes conditions really bad for launching with pronounced lulls and strong gusts. Some folks were injured in such conditions back in the day here. Launching with people dead downwind in such conditions is completely idiotic and inexcusable. The guy had no control but he never stopped to consider the harm he could easily do.

User avatar
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1590
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby NYKiter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:49 am

Kamikuza wrote:Work with them? Sure, the only solution they'd accept is all kiters, globally, burning their kites and strings and taking up swimming. In the diving pool. Cos those fuckers are really dangerous and we gotta shut them down... send in the small children!


would they really sacrifice their own children to stop kiters?
seems rather ridiculous...not my problem...I dont give a shit...good luck...

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 672
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:40 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby Dave_5280 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:59 am

I wonder what the most effective approach is for correcting someone. If told, I think most of them get defensive and don't listen. Maybe if 2 or more people at the same time talk to them they might realize it wasn't just one other person's opinion, but 2 or more?

RichardM
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 1:40 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Northern Orange County
All Los Angeles County
All Ventura County
Some Santa Barbara County
Brand Affiliation: Malibu Kitesurfing
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
The BEST way to learn kitesurfing !
Location: L.A. & Ventura Counties, CA
Contact:

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby RichardM » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:58 am

Dave_5280 wrote:I wonder what the most effective approach is for correcting someone. If told, I think most of them get defensive and don't listen. Maybe if 2 or more people at the same time talk to them they might realize it wasn't just one other person's opinion, but 2 or more?

Almost always novices, as the m0r0n and his launcher obviously are, will happily follow friendly advice, especially if reasonable explanation for it is also supplied.

It is experienced kiters who tend to object to having their irresponsible behavior criticized.

For those not familiar with the recent problems at this location, it is ALSO experienced kiters who are responsible for the problems, NOT the non-kiters who are 100% justified in their actions.

The last thread on this subject can be found at
[url]viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2380630&start=20[/url]


rightguard wrote:Richard... Thanks again for your brilliant and overwhelming knowledge of kitesurfing. I just wish some day I could be as smart as you.

Of course that was not the smartest thing to do... never said it wasn't. I do think it's also stupid for the kids to be playing there. Just because they can doesn't mean they should.

Lets all try and get along.


You’re welcome and the fact that you have such an admirable goal means you’re at least 25% of the way there. That you imply the impossibility of your achievement indicates that you’ve managed to reach at least 50%, so don’t give up, improvement may still be possible.

You say, “ Just because they can doesn't mean they should. ”. And you think that they’re “stupid” for exercising their right to be there because they ended up being in the way of a kiter who ENDANGERS THEM FOR NO GOOD REASON and shouldn’t be there.

Answer this question: If person “A” thinks that he should NOT exercise a “right” that he legally possesses because it might interfere with person “B” who is not supposed to interfere with person “A”’s “right”, does person “A” ACTUALLY possess said "right" ?

Richard M.
Malibu Kitesurfing - since 2002
(310) - 430 - KITE (5483)
http://www.MalibuKitesurfing.NET
kfRichard@MalibuKitesurfing.NET

BWD
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2809
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:37 am

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby BWD » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:28 am

does person “A” ACTUALLY possess said "right" ?

Of course not, and he should take his lame self back to Michigan or Malibu (if Larry Ellison hasn't bought his house yet), and forfeit his video cameras and all the bold type fonts on his keyboard!

User avatar
FabsPH
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:57 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Oahu, S shore
Favorite Beaches: Oahu S shore, Mokuleia,
Style: Free style wave
Gear: Eclipse, Underground
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse, Underground
Contact:

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby FabsPH » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:28 am

peanut gallery at its finest. "oh shit is going to happen,... let me get my camera" idiot...
kiter is an ass as well, but who likes to swim at kite beach anyway?

joriws
Frequent Poster
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:03 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby joriws » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:57 am

I watched the videos. Are you sure that videos are not "framed" by people trying to get kiting ban to the beach if the videos are shot by them. Kites are easy to buy and get some "evidence" to show how irresponsible 100% of kiters are. Of course videos could be real/non-framed as well.

User avatar
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4851
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:49 am
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:31 am

joriws wrote:I watched the videos. Are you sure that videos are not "framed" by people trying to get kiting ban to the beach if the videos are shot by them. Kites are easy to buy and get some "evidence" to show how irresponsible 100% of kiters are. Of course videos could be real/non-framed as well.

Yes, they are. The camera man and his wife have a huge chip on their shoulders and an axe to grind. They have, for at least 6 months, been on campaign to try and ruin that beach for everyone who isn't sitting on their fat ass doing nothing, under the guise of "public safety".

You can see in the videos that the only evidence he's got of dangerous behaviour are the situation they've created (taking their kids from the designated swimming are and putting them in the middle of the public beach!) and fabricating tension where there is none.

boardjockey
Medium Poster
Posts: 102
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:27 pm
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MAUI
Style: all
Gear: Cabrinha, Naish, North, Ozone
Location: Maui

Re: Exactly what they don't need there.

Postby boardjockey » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:22 pm

I was curious and did a google search about the issue and found this public letter on Maui Now.

http://mauinow.com/2013/05/03/letter-ki ... kaa-point/

This letter is from the gentleman who sits there all day filming kiters with his wife and child. Personally I find it sad that anyone would want to spend all their free time in Maui doing this. It's such a beautiful place to live with so many places to visit and things to do. I like the DLNR officer's comment in the letter "maybe you should go to another beach".


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hrdude, Yahoo [Bot] and 49 guests