All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Leash discussion
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:00 pm 
Rare Poster

JGTR wrote:
we wrote:
JGTR wrote:
The joke is that most people who preach about board leashed still dont wear helmets, more danger from sustaining a head injury than being hit by your board.

Get hit in the head by what? Shark? If you want to be safe, a full PFD would be the most useful. I never could figure out why someone would wear a helmet but no PFD.

The ground!!!!!!

Unbelievable :roll:

Its your own choice, a leash does speed up learning as you spend less time chasing your board. In cold weather it reduces the need to body drag which can flush cold water through your suit brrrrr. In areas with strong currents it stops board being taken.

It can cause injuries and I believe has been a factor in one fatality with a looping kite and the board acting as an anchor, but still injuries are rare.

More common is being dragged head first across land hence my comment about helmets.

Pretty much all competent kitesurfers do not use leashes and body drag to get their boards back so that should tell you if and when you should ditch the leash :thumb: Upwind body dragging is very simple to do and extremely effective even in very light winds.

I thought we were talking about kitesurfing in the water. I wore a helmet snowkiting and also while snowboarding due to possible impact with the ground.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 pm 
Frequent Poster

The wakeboarders have sorted it out.... It'd be hard to lose one of these....

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/04/light-wakeboarding-photographed-by-patrick-rochon/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

most fatalities happen on land not water when u launch land the head is a convenient place to store helmet on the water

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I am with Richard on this one - that you CAN NOT relaunch your kite in really light wind, especially not in deep water drifting.

Even if too light to relaunch, and too light to "ride" - you are still able to bodydrag to your board though (here I am with JGTR).

But there will be situations in light wind, where your kite goes down, and you are not able to relaunch.

And so what ?

This only happens close to shore, right ? As why would one ever ride out far from the shore, in too light wind to be able to relaunch ??? (unless on purpose and knowing the risks, but that is another issue)

The other thing that struck me when just reading this thread, was the always wrong interpretion that "strong currents" can be difficult when bodydragging :wink:

Current DOES NOT make it easier nor more difficult to get your board, as both you and your board are in the current 8)
I dont know why it is so difficult to understand, but bottom line is, that current does not affect how easy it is to bodydrag to your board :naughty:
It only affect what kite or boardsize you need of course, to get planing and to hold ground, but that is a different thing.

Regarding the "head injury" - of course it is "the ground" that is the major risk in kitesurfing.

Most start and land on land, and most ride in "not offshore" conditions, so no matter what, if something goes wrong - you'll hit something on land most likely :(

And the leash and board striking, is another risk that exists too, true - so no leash please :naughty:

:D Peter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:59 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:

Current DOES NOT make it easier nor more difficult to get your board, as both you and your board are in the current 8)
I dont know why it is so difficult to understand, but bottom line is, that current does not affect how easy it is to bodydrag to your board.

In an estuary for example there can be a deeper channel where the current runs upwind faster than the shallower water to either side.
In that circumstance, the current will affect your ability to go upwind faster than the board if the board is in the channel.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:20 pm 
Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:

I dont know why it is so difficult to understand, but bottom line is, that current does not affect how easy it is to bodydrag to your board.

In an estuary for example there can be a deeper channel where the current runs upwind faster than the shallower water to either side.
In that circumstance, the current will affect your ability to go upwind faster than the board if the board is in the channel.

Completely agree with this... Water is viscous so do flow at different rates. They can vary considerably in very short distances. Where I kite there is often a 6 or 7 meter tidal flow so water can be flowing different directions and / or considerably different rates in the length of a set of kite lines... I kicked off my board in ankle deep water the other day...turned around to pick it up and it was 50 feet away from me. And similar things have happened to me in deep water too. In places where the current is more constant the earlier statements are correct but it is incorrect to generalise too much.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:25 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I appreciate what you are saying Peter but current can be at different speeds in different places, the Thames estuary and Orwell estuary are very good examples of this as there are channels along the sea bed which affect the flow, especially mid tide when flow is at its greatest.

In addition wind direction has an effect, trying to relaunch a kite wind with tide the kite still has a pull and you will move faster than the board, wind against tide you may stay where you are while your board is taken by the current....end of day lots of variables that can have an effect.

By my original point which I have experienced and seen before was that in marginal winds it can take a long time to relaunch a kite and in that time you can become separated from your board but upwind body dragging is still possible in very light winds and as a newbie there may be locations where a leash can be a big help

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:49 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Lost my board when my kite was wrapped up in a buoy line and the current was flowing the other way. Didn't take that long, either.

So, one board lost due to no leash but I've never had any injuries from the board being attached to me.

[ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5