Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch kites article link -

forum for kitesurfers


User avatar
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1402
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:17 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby NYKiter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 am

And social media (such as Kiteforum) is a venue for open opinions, perceptions and preferences (not intentional slander) about kites and kiting equipment. Some may like Switch...others may not... :blabla:

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 am

limited performance?

MJ was top 5 (?) on last year PKRA with the Combat v1

this year, so far, is going 2nd between Youri and Pastor

personally don´t beleive you can compete at PKRA level if your gear is not solid

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4368
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:37 am

Tiago1973 wrote:limited performance?

MJ was top 5 (?) on last year PKRA with the Combat v1

this year, so far, is going 2nd between Youri and Pastor

personally don´t beleive you can compete at PKRA level if your gear is not solid


Does a wake style kite really need much performance? This is a serious question. I'm not a wake styler. All I see in the vids is blokes riding with kites parked and then thy pop some unhooked rotations with the kite still parked. Seems to me that a wakes style kite needs very limited performance. It just needs sit there.

So the riders skill is the biggest impact as apposed to the kite he is flying. Compare this to course racing. You are screwed if you don't have a competitive kite. No matter how good you are.

User avatar
MikeYQM
Medium Poster
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:04 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Brand Affiliation: Darkside Kites - Dealer for Slingshot, Cabrinha, NP Surf & JP Australia
Location: Moncton NB Canada
Contact:

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby MikeYQM » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:34 pm

Yup Best did this years ago. Now look at them, right in the mix with everyone else. This isnt some "awesome for kiteboarding" business model, it a means to get their product out as quickly as possible and once they feel solid in the market, they jump on board with everyone else.

I'm not saying its a bad idea to try to flood the market with cheap gear and gain a following. Just be prepared when the prices creep up over the next few years like everyone else. Its a marketing ploy, not an altruistic kite movement.

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: cubakitelessons.com
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:44 pm

Well didn't Best also disapear from the face of the earth after they went "mainstream"

BigPaul
Frequent Poster
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 am
Kiting since: 5
Local Beach: Manchester
Style: Free ride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby BigPaul » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:27 pm

To those switch kite lovers.
listen to the stoke and ignore the rest. Unless it's true constructive critisism. There are a lot on this forum who just like to tear shit down for the sake of it.

Good luck with it all :thumb:

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 763
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:58 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:06 pm

plummet wrote:
Tiago1973 wrote:limited performance?

MJ was top 5 (?) on last year PKRA with the Combat v1

this year, so far, is going 2nd between Youri and Pastor

personally don´t beleive you can compete at PKRA level if your gear is not solid


Does a wake style kite really need much performance? This is a serious question. I'm not a wake styler. All I see in the vids is blokes riding with kites parked and then thy pop some unhooked rotations with the kite still parked. Seems to me that a wakes style kite needs very limited performance. It just needs sit there.

So the riders skill is the biggest impact as apposed to the kite he is flying. Compare this to course racing. You are screwed if you don't have a competitive kite. No matter how good you are.


Don´t see performance as only about aerodynamic efficiency, but something in the broad sense that will maximize the rider potential, either on wake-style, wave riding, airsytle or racing. And all these things look for different tools.

Tend to agree that gear could impact more in racing than on something valued on style, but still believe the differences between those guys at the top of their level are slim and would not accommodate an ´inferior in performance´ (/less suitable for the intend) kite.

Would had Youri won the PKRA if he was flying a Rally?

I do agree that Switch has less pedigree than some others, but in my opinion they are showing their game on C kites where it counts.


PS
I don´t ride Switch and didn´t particularly liked the Element V1 I tried.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:04 pm
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby Hansen Design » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:48 pm

@plummet - maybe better to do some serious wakestyle competition and then comment on the subtleties of 'C' kite design? Being one of the heaviest PKRA riders, MJ needs a high performance kite to support his powerful style. He is very specific about how and where he wants it to fly and we spend many hours 'tweaking' the Combat for him. What you buy from Switch is exactly what he is using. :thumb:

@Tiago1973 - Exactly! :thumb:

@MikeYQM - Adding middlemen adds cost. Switch has no plan to alienate the end user. Won't happen. :thumb:

@marlboroughman - Great product, great service, great price is the Switch plan. :thumb:

@BigPaul - :thumb:

@Tiago1973 - Switch listens to what riders want. Element2 changes the game. There are also three other vastly different kite models to choose from and they are all improving. We are working hard to earn our pedigree and your business. :thumb:

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: cubakitelessons.com
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:09 pm

Switch is doing exactly what I've been saying for at least 4 years now. I thought Ozone was the best positioned for this kind of a model having their own factory. Best destroyed what they had because all the sudden they wanted to join elite club and it didn't work because they upset their hard earned customers and they were hard pressed to convince retailers to push their product for less.Without direct sales the price levels are reaching the point where it is becoming feasible to make the kites in the USA.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 4368
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: Switch kites article link -

Postby plummet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Hansen Aerosports wrote:@plummet - maybe better to do some serious wakestyle competition and then comment on the subtleties of 'C' kite design? Being one of the heaviest PKRA riders, MJ needs a high performance kite to support his powerful style. He is very specific about how and where he wants it to fly and we spend many hours 'tweaking' the Combat for him. What you buy from Switch is exactly what he is using. :thumb:
:


hehehe... Never going to happen I have zero interest in wake style.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], CabRSA, cor, danidr, Google [Bot] and 19 guests