All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Youri Zoon finishes the 2013 season due to injury
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rough day today, went to UMCG in Groningen all the way in the north of Holland, luckly i had a very fast and special treatment.(physio and doctor are both kitesurfers haha)
I had the MRI scan and they found out the labrum has a crack. In normal circumstances they would recommend to let it rest and train a lot and get back out there.
Since I am a athlete things are a little different and they recommend a surgery.
Which will put me out for about 4 to 6 months.
This means my season will be over! And I will be back on the water around end of november.
I can also choose the other option which is train a lot and hopefully be ready for China but the risk of having an other schoulder dislocation will be bigger than when having an operation.
So to make it all short! I will be having an Pperation and be out for a while.
Harsh deals! But I guess thats the real life.

Thanks to all of you for the support.

Cheers

YZ

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Youri Zoon finishes the 2013 season due to injury
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Good luck Youri and wishing you a speedy recovery! :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:47 pm 
Frequent Poster

YZ will have to focus on technical development for Best, this time without distractions haha.
Best has to be damning that bad luck.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If anyone else was wondering what on earth a labrum is:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

the shoulder joint is best decribed as a golf ball on a tee. The labrum is a thin ring of cartilage that surrounds the edge of the tee thus holding the ball in and stopping it from coming out.The rotator cuff tendons then tension up the ball into this cup so its held tight but allows it to rotate in almost all directions.
When a dislocation occurs the ball comes out of the socket (tee) and quite often the labrum gets damaged in the process.
This is fixed by key hole arthroscopic surgery where suture anchors are drilled into the edge of the socket and the labrum is stitched back down which in turn allows it to reattach naturally....

if its deemed a small tear then physio and weight training can build the tension in the shoulder to stop it coming out again but there is a big risk it will as without an intact labrum the shoulder can dislocate or subluxate very easily again and again , and if it does the whole structure of the shoulder can be weakened ...surgery is the best option

thing is...after a kite accident back in sept 2012 ..ive just had my first kite session in just under 11 months after having my front and back labrum repaired in my right shoulder ....also had one of my rotator cuff tendons (infraspinatus) reattached...i ended up off work for 4 1/2 months and its taken 8 1/2 months post op' to get the ok to go kite again...shoulder is still weak physically but is structurally strong so been given the go ahead by surgeon and physio to try kiting...as the best exercise for kiting ..is kiting...been a very long and tedious not to mention at times painful recovery
good luck youri .... :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:17 am 
Medium Poster

I am sure YZ will be very proffesional about his recovery process and i hope he will be back again 100%.
Andy Yates had an injury and it took him a very long time to compete again. I wish he will be back 100% as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:34 am 
Medium Poster

Nooooooooooo.
a big loss for this years tour for sure.

[ 7 posts ]