Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Forum for everyone who is into racing and speeding on kites.


User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9269
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:50 am

So today for the first time I took out the 17 Draft in very light winds. It really solidified why I like raceboard...you can ride in really glassy conditions..and in bright green pacific ocean it is an absolute treat for the senses....watch the fish as you pass by in good speed...and I got a good workout. I think it averaged 9-10 mph with pretty deep lulls...what a fantastic session.

RalfsB
Medium Poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Airush, Gaastra, RRD, Ozone; Boards: self made alaia, slalom, etc.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby RalfsB » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:33 am

Hi Tautologies,

May I ask some questions about your experience with Draft? I am trying to choose my next race kite.
- I read some reviews where people complain about Draft being hard to relaunch. Naish site says it should be extra easy. How it really is?
- How much does the kite weight?

User avatar
Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1370
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:39 am
Kiting since: 9
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby Hawaiis » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:00 am

I was on my Cabrinha Nomad 13 and Carafino Hydrofoil.
At times the wind dropped to 5 Knots according to Weather reports.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9269
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:55 pm

RalfsB wrote:Hi Tautologies,

May I ask some questions about your experience with Draft? I am trying to choose my next race kite.
- I read some reviews where people complain about Draft being hard to relaunch. Naish site says it should be extra easy. How it really is?
- How much does the kite weight?


Ive ridden the 9 12 14 and 17. Ive not had to relaunch the 17..the others no problem...I took the 9 in really funky wind and got test its relaunch well...was not hard at all. If you do go in ultra lightwind you could always rig the lightwind relaunch system on it...

Ive never really felt relaunch was hard tho...
On the riding..ive ridden the 12 the most..for powered jumping and occasional waves it is super fun. Very controllable. The bar is heavier than the ride / park but you get used to it fast.
The kites feel great to me and ahuge upgrade from my chargers...

RalfsB
Medium Poster
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 pm
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Beaches close to Riga, Latvia
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Airush, Gaastra, RRD, Ozone; Boards: self made alaia, slalom, etc.
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby RalfsB » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks for your answers. Just for curiosity, what is the weight of the 17m kite?

tautologies wrote:If you do go in ultra lightwind you could always rig the lightwind relaunch system on it...


I did not realize it is something separate that needs to be rigged on but now I found that there is an accessory called "Naish Light Wind Relaunch Kit" which seems to be an additional line. Neat, but if I want to use line extensions, I would also need an extension for the relaunch line.

User avatar
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 33065
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2001 1:00 am
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.
Location: World (KF Admin)
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby Toby » Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:39 pm

how does the 17 jump?
can you take it out in some more wind and test it?

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9269
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Toby wrote:how does the 17 jump?
can you take it out in some more wind and test it?


I only used it with the raceboard. I can say I felt the pull when I tacked, but I can definitely try it in more wind...I just gotta wait for the more wind part :-)

If the smaller sizes are anything to go by jumping is great :-)

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9269
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Hawaiis wrote:I was on my Cabrinha Nomad 13 and Carafino Hydrofoil.
At times the wind dropped to 5 Knots according to Weather reports.


yeah it was way light at times :-)

good fun.

User avatar
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 9269
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Oahu
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:42 pm

RalfsB wrote:Thanks for your answers. Just for curiosity, what is the weight of the 17m kite?

tautologies wrote:If you do go in ultra lightwind you could always rig the lightwind relaunch system on it...


I did not realize it is something separate that needs to be rigged on but now I found that there is an accessory called "Naish Light Wind Relaunch Kit" which seems to be an additional line. Neat, but if I want to use line extensions, I would also need an extension for the relaunch line.


True but you don't really need to buy their set. It is convenient because it has some loops the keeps the line a bit more organized, and it has a bungee to tighten the line up, but you can just pull your own line. It does not need to have the same breaking strength as the flying or steering lines, so some cheap line will do fine. :-) If anything get their line and use your own concoction for extensions.

User avatar
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 2174
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:12 pm
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: cubakitelessons.com
Location: CubaKiteLessons.com
Contact:

Re: Confirmation of why I like raceboard...

Postby marlboroughman » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:29 pm

I looked this kite up. I can't believe it has only 3 struts. The whole Naish lineup looks great. I remember Pete Cabrinha few years ago saying that the future is flat kites and a lot of us thought the same. What a difference few years make.


Return to “Kiteracer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests