*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:59 am 
Offline
Rare Poster

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:22 pm
Posts: 23
check this out: a very cool new wind meter. inexpensive under $30 :-)
http://xtremebigair.com/WeatherFlow-Wind-Meter-P1563C86.aspx
Works with iPhone, iPad, iPod, and all major Android devices.
The WeatherFlow Wind Meter is the first of its kind by a US-based manufacturer, having been engineered here then calibrated at the University of Florida's Aerospace Engineering Department. You know WeatherFlow from iKitesurf.com, iWindsurf.com, Wind Alert, SailFlow, and FishWeather. Needless to say, they've been around, they know windmeters, and this revolutionary product is no exception to their standard to view and share live-action weather.
The Wind Meter works with a FREE App for your mobile iOS or Android devices recording wind speed (average, lull, and gusts), wind direction, and location. Precision readings (+/- 0.5% or 0.1m/s at up to 15 degrees off axis) in m/s, mph, knots, km/h, and beaufort scales with range from 2mph to 125 mph. Not only does the WeatherFlow Wind Meter come in rugged eco-friendly packaging that doubles as a handy storage case, it fits in your pocket when not in use. When attached, you can share on-site reports with WeatherFlow, Instagram, Vine, Twitter, SMS, Email, or Facebook.
Better data, better decisions.


Attachments:
WeatherFlow_with_case.JPG
WeatherFlow_with_case.JPG [ 32.63 KIB | Viewed 2383 times ]
WeatherFlow.JPG
WeatherFlow.JPG [ 23.99 KIB | Viewed 2383 times ]
{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:04 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Fail. This should be a non directional meter. Ultimately you should be able to set this up close to your vehicle run a cable to your iPhone locked in your car and broadcast current wind as needed.
Short of that its already been done


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:13 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Posts: 266
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION
I am sure you could add an extension cable.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:21 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Well maybe but exactly how would you manage to keep it perfectly facing the wind?
This is a poor copy of this. http://vaavud.com/

Neither are usefull beyond your standard hand held meter.
Think outside the box and bring something really unique to the market!


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:44 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:18 am
Posts: 383
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
It may not actually have any electronics for remote application some of these types of phone meters actually use the magnetic sensors in the phone and the earphone jack is just a handy dandy holder to keep it close enough to the phone to work. I believe this the way the vaavud works.

I prefer the non directional type too.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:22 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Posts: 357
What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:28 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:35 pm
Posts: 1439
Location: Southwestern Ontario
pj sofine wrote:
What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.


The point is to share info with your mates who have not yet figured out if it is worth booking the afternoon off or them sharing the info with you.... I'm sure if there were wind sensors in the area this becomes a mute point but I can tell you for sure in and around the Great Lakes there is a severe shortage of accurate time sensitive sensors in operation. I'm sure this is not the only place with the same shortage.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:50 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:21 am
Posts: 357
Laughingman wrote:
pj sofine wrote:
What's the point in having a wind meter when you're already at beach? I'll check out the remote wind readings when I'm making plans/decisions to head to beach, but once your at the water what's the meter for? I just look at water,trees etc, grab the right kite and head out. Seems like one more layer of needless info.


The point is to share info with your mates who have not yet figured out if it is worth booking the afternoon off or them sharing the info with you.... I'm sure if there were wind sensors in the area this becomes a mute point but I can tell you for sure in and around the Great Lakes there is a severe shortage of accurate time sensitive sensors in operation. I'm sure this is not the only place with the same shortage.

Gotcha , mobile human wind reporters helping out the crew with actual readings! Probalbly more accurate then my simple, "it's blowing hard, get your ass down here!"


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:47 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8395
Location: Oahu
Laughingman wrote:
Fail. This should be a non directional meter. Ultimately you should be able to set this up close to your vehicle run a cable to your iPhone locked in your car and broadcast current wind as needed.
Short of that its already been done


I read about the vaavud last week and they have an API for their tool....that makes it very very interesting.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: check this out: a very cool new wind meter
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:50 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:36 am
Posts: 8395
Location: Oahu
Laughingman wrote:
Neither are usefull beyond your standard hand held meter.
Think outside the box and bring something really unique to the market!


I think you are wrong here. Since Vaavud has an API that you can access all you really have to do is make your own app, and access the information from the device to make it far useful beyond any handheld windmeter that I have seen.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], LanBro, Robbylion and 28 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group