All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Any reviews of the Shinn Red?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:38 am 
Rare Poster

I have been looking hard at the Shinn Speedball W18. I also wanted to find out more about the Shinn Red. I have searched a number of kiteboarding forums (including the UK and Australian forums) looking for reviews on the new Shinn Red. No real luck. I am especially interested in the Red 141 x 44 (due to the fact that I weigh in at 198 pounds or 90 kilograms). I am a beginner looking to purchase my first board - an all around performer to ride in the ocean, which is good in the waves and chop.

Thanks very much!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Any reviews of the Shinn Red?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 am 
Medium Poster

Speedball, totally different board. You will be better try the Supershinn. Red is a good board, you may outgrow it very fast. Supershinn is also good for a beginner.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:50 am 
Frequent Poster

As I understand Red replaces the Gintronic board - so you might find more info there.

I wasn't aware this was to be your first board. In that case the Speedball will be too technical to get the best out of.

Red is probably easier to learn on going upwind in and to ride in light wind while Dundee long term will be better in waves. Tradeoff in learning curve. Big question is how well Red does in waves and how important that is to you.

Only had the Speedball and the old Nobile 555 designed by Shinn. Loved the 555 as a progressing beginner - and other beginners trying it loved it too - even worked in waves - heard the more recent Nobile T5 was a bit too stiff for that.

@Fragger: would't the supershinn be a bit tricky in waves?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:39 pm 
Medium Poster

Good question,icebird! I think it depends on the size in this matter. Monk performs very well in the waves, the Supershinn shouldt be smoother then the Monk. But its a freestyle board all over. So enough pop, chop eater and no spray.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Fragger wrote:
Good question,icebird! I think it depends on the size in this matter. Monk performs very well in the waves, the Supershinn shouldt be smoother then the Monk. But its a freestyle board all over. So enough pop, chop eater and no spray.

Have to disagree here. Monk and red will be similar in terms of smoothness in chop but monk can handle alot more speed and still keep it together. The supershinn is not as smooth riding as monk in the chop though it is still very smooth relative to other boards but for a first board I would just go straight for the monk in 42 wide at your weight. Supershinn is noticeably less adept for carving around and more leaning toward load and pop/freestyle.

I have ridden the gintronic (sold it) supershinn, luigi, an I own a monk. The monk can be a fine board for learning as it isn't technical at all to ride but it can be fully wound out and things dont get uncontrollable. Skip the red and get a monk. That is a very special board for charging hard in chop, boosting big air, and laying out big high speed carves. But it is perfectly mellow if you choose to ride it that way so fine for a beginner too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Coleman, what you say about the Monk makes sense to me, but in wave conditions why rule out the Dundee?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

icebird wrote:
Coleman, what you say about the Monk makes sense to me, but in wave conditions why rule out the Dundee?

Haven't tried Dundee so I can't recommend it but all shinn boards have a certain feel which I would characterize as very smooth and fast. They all just feel really nice.

The different boards in the lineup are described pretty well in the uk forum thread. Lots of info there on the nuances of the shinn range.

I say go for the monk because it
Is hands down the best freeride board I have ever ridden. It isn't even a close contest.

Not sure what makes the Dundee better in waves but they do recommend it for that. It sounds like you should be looking at the monk or the Dundee.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:34 am 
Frequent Poster

I'm a big fan of the red...
It has such stability and great medium power drive that for general clarting about in moderate winds it's a lot of fun. Rail length and tip size is excellent with big kites - very good upwind, and it builds a lot of speed for moderate power, holding it well even under high speed. The board is unique in this - and it's still soft, smooth and pleasant to hold power on.
As a freeride board it's pretty much the opposite of the Dundee, locked down and plenty of drive, but I really like it, one of my favourite twins when we do demo days...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:50 pm 
Medium Poster

I have all 3 boards: the Dundee, The Red and the Forever.

I really think Red it will surprise everyone. First the look. It looks much better in real life than in pictures.
It rides super nice and it goes upwind very well. Very forgiving on your knees. It can be ridden as fast as the Monk and I really have doubts that you can outgrow that board very easy. It feels a little bigger than other boards on similar size. It is a really good all around - freeride board.

Not sure about the pads. They are good for guys with big feet but for me are too big. (I wear 8.5).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:51 am 
Medium Poster

Anyone else who has tried this board? I am seriously considering it and have found it for a good price. But I'm about 200 lbs and am a bit afraid it will be too soft for me (but I ride a lot in chop so I want a board that's not too stiff). I'm looking at the 138 x 42 size.

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next