Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks
Style: Freeride, freestyle, strapless
Gear: Shinn, North
Brand Affiliation: None

Need help with 2013 Cab SB 9m

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:11 am

Just bought a 2013 Cabrinha Switchblade 9m. Love the colours and the construction is excellent but I had some issues flying it today and would appreciate any advice on how to tune the kite.

I was out initially on my Airush Lithium 12m in about 15 knots of wind, getting lots of jumps but then the wind picked up to over 20 knots so I came in and pumped up my brand new kite. I used a 2011 Cabrinha bar that was tuned before the session so I am pretty confident that the bar was not an issue. I also made the modification suggested on the Cabrinha website, which involves tying an extra knot on the outside attachment pigtails. I hooked up the lines to the middle of the original three knots (where it is recommended). This is the usual connection point but given the additional knot above, the kite is supposed to fly with some power. My problem was that I seemed to have some power while moving along, but I couldn't get any pop out of the kite at all. It seemed like when I sheeted in aggressively I was partially stalling the kite because I seemed to pull right through the power in the kite. I noticed the same thing a couple of times after stopping and then flying the kite aggressively to get back going again. It didn't fall backwards in a full back stall, but I was pulling through the power to where the kite just felt dead.

Is it possible that this is a later production kite that already had the bridle fixed - meaning I didn't have to put the extra knot on the outside connections of the bridle? Is anyone else having a similar issue? I don't mind if this kite doesn't have a super low end - it is a 9m kite and I have others. What I can't deal with though is having a day with winds somewhere between 20 and 25 knots and not being able to pop for a decent wakestyle move. There must be a way to tune the kite as my problem doesn't seem to have been mentioned in past reviews - this is sold as a wakestyle kite so it must have some pop right? Any help would be appreciated, again the kite looks great and the construction is top notch, I just want to get it flying right.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Need help with 2013 Cab SB 9m

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:09 am

The Cabrinha front lines stretches a lot, if your kite is back stalling, you should lengthen the rear lines to compensate for the front line stretch.

Timop
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Stilbay - Western Cape
Favorite Beaches: CT bigbay, Whitesands Kommetjie, Langebaan, Stilbay, Sterkfontein, Kalpitya
Style: Big Air
Gear: Cabrinha switchblade 2014, 4, 6, 8, 11, Bandit 5 - 10. F-one acid 130. Cabrinha thruster.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Timop » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:24 am

Hi ktflyer381. Perhaps take out the knots you had put in and fly it just on the 3rd knot. The knot closest to the kite. However, check your line lengths if you have not already. Ie run the lines out, tie them to a point and at full power the lines should be the same length. Also when you have done that and it still back stalls, do the normal trim setting, by flying the kite overhead, pulling the bar in and if the kite stalls trim it a bit, ie depower sligthly, so that full power is with the bar about a fist away from the bottom. I have an 8 and 11 and had similar issues, but after doing the above, the kites fly great and bottom end - on the 8 16 knots and the 11 11 knots - I am 80 kg's. Hope you get it right.

kiteontario
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Nobile

Postby kiteontario » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:33 pm

As mentioned already, I would check your line lengths. A quick fix is to just connect your steering lines to the bottom knot (furthest away from the kite).

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:46 pm

I have suggested to many 2013 Cabrinha customers to tie thee extra knot and that's the way i flew my SBs. I only had one customer who indicated that he thought it caused the kite to backstall a bit. All these customers flew their kites on the 2013 bar. I say this as there is practivally no stretch on the center lines on the 2013s. As mentioned, lines prior to 2013 expereinced some considerable stretch.

I woould suggest leave it alone and and pull in the depower strap a bit to shorten the center lines a bit. If the kite flys better, then you have a choice; 1) remove the extra knot, 2) take another look at your retuned bar.

To my knowledge, there were no changes in the rear bridle lines during the 2013 manufacturing year.

steve

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:23 pm

Thanks guys. I went out and checked the bar I used and the lines were perfectly adjusted, so that wasn't the problem. I took the knot out of the rear pig tails that I had put in earlier and I have put the kite on the B setting which should be better for wakestyle.

It sounds like it doesn't matter whether it was a late or early model 2013 kite for the this adjustment (extra knot in the rear pigtails to shorten them a bit), but if anyone has additional info please let me know. Also, if anyone is using the 2013 SB's for wakestyle, any comments you can offer about the performance of this kite would be appreciated.

ktflyer381
Frequent Poster

Re: Need help with 2013 Cab SB 9m - Update

Postby ktflyer381 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:30 am

Finally got another chance to get a session on my 2013 Cabrinha SB 9m. I had a completely different experience with the kite today. I kept the extra knot on the two rear attachment pigtails and flew the kite off the recommended knot (second from the end). I changed the bridles to the B setting (wakestyle) which I think made a world of difference. I also flew the kite with the 2013 Cab bar vice the 2011 Cab bar I used last time. There was no backstalling at all and the kite was really nice to fly. I was on my Shinn Monk Forever 134cm in 20 to 24 knots of wind and the kite was great when boosting, looping in transitions and popping for wakestyle moves.

Thanks to Experienced1 for the tips. Thought it was only fair to post that my issues are solved and I am happy with the kite.

K

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Glad I could help and you had a good experience. Thanks for posting the results so I could get feedback
ENJOY...:)
steve

Return to “Kitesurfing”