All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1mm wetsuit for warm water suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:43 am 
Frequent Poster

I'm kiting Mui Ne, Vietnam in the winter and I'd like to get a full suit for the odd sessions in cooler winds. I'm normally in board shorts and a lycra rash but there are a couple weeks I cut my sessions shorter because of temperature. I think 1mm would be sufficient. I'm 6ft 150 lbs. I've read about neosport 1mm suits and others on ebay but I'm not sure this is what I need. What do you wear / recommend?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: 1mm wetsuit for warm water suggestions
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Medium Poster

I'm in south Florida. The water temperature here never drops below ~ 73 F in the ocean due to the proximity of the gulf stream. I'll do up to 4 hour sessions with air temperatures as low as 60 degrees or so with just a 2mm Matuse Chapter 1 wetsuit top and some board shorts. It's made of a closed cell neoprene that does not readily absorb water. I've been using the top for 3 seasons now, and love it. They also make long sleeve spring suits or short sleeve full suits out of the same material. Their suits are pricey, but technically superior to some of the other suits I have tried in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:00 pm 
Frequent Poster

if a boardshort is a bit cool I guess any 2mm shorty should work. also give a bit of protection from harness. I am ok with O'neill but any one that fits you well should be ok!

ps: I would keep the more technical (and pricey) stuff for the more thick ones!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:54 pm 
Frequent Poster

Lyrca rash guards will keep you cooler so for warmth, you need polypropelene and/or neopreene.

I usually wear Mystic metalite stuff. I have a long sleeve shirt that is older and very tricky to get on. It keeps me warm in the water but once out and standing in the wind, it seems to evaporate water out of it quickly along with my body heat. Otherwise I wear a metalite farmer john shorty. Its newer and the metalite material is now more slick and easier to put on, comfy to wear, and more windproof. It's basically a one piece shorts tanktop. It wears well with harnesses because it is tight to the body so the harness can slide easily if need be. Both I think are 1.5mm but the titanium weave is supposed to reflect body heat back to you so they are warm like a 2.5 mm might be. I sometimes wear the long sleeve under the tank of the shorty for extra warmth, and it keeps the long sleeve shirt from riding up under my harness. If you crash in the shorty and have to body drag far for any reason, water tends to flow into the large arm holes and swell up the suit a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

poldo wrote:
if a boardshort is a bit cool I guess any 2mm shorty should work. also give a bit of protection from harness. I am ok with O'neill but any one that fits you well should be ok!

ps: I would keep the more technical (and pricey) stuff for the more thick ones!

agree with this, I just recently got a 2.5mm shorty and it keeps all the important bits warm when it's not really cold out, but would be uncomfortable wearing just boardshorts and rashguard.

I prefer a shorty because it isn't a pain to get on and off, and you can easily wear board shorts/tshirt over it

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:20 am 
Medium Poster

For under a hundred bucks you can get a pretty awesome 2mm shorty from MEC.

I've had mine for 2 seasons of working / riding in it and its only now started to have a bit of trouble along seams in the back panel. Worth every penny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:23 am 
Frequent Poster

flybykite wrote:
What do you wear / recommend?

in Mui Ne i used - Matrix Metalite Shorty combining it with Matrix Metalite Vest Ls - very happy with result

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:13 pm 
Frequent Poster

I'm in South Florida, and I've been actually wearing my 1mm Cresi I normally use for diving, been using it quite often, helps keep the sun and Jellies away, its actually quite comfortable even in the hottest days. I only go out in board shorts and rash-guard when I forget it @ home.

http://www.cressisubusa.com/Catalogue/Details.asp?id=536

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

DirkGently wrote:
For under a hundred bucks you can get a pretty awesome 2mm shorty from MEC.

Thanks, Theres an MEC not to far from me. I'll check it out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:40 am 
Frequent Poster

If you want the best suit..hands down, buy Patagonia. I've tried many suits and Patagonia suits, feel better and last longer. They are more expensive, but hey, you are buying the best.

Peep 'em out, you won't be disappointed: http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/wetsuits-r1?k=6U-a6

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next