[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Sir Richard Branson breaks record in kitesurfing parade
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Sir Richard Branson breaks record in kitesurfing parade

Attachment:
1 branson.jpg
1 branson.jpg [ 20.4 KIB | Viewed 1831 times ]

Sir Richard Branson kitesurfing The Virgin boss already holds the record as the oldest person to kitesurf across the English Channel

Sir Richard Branson and hundreds of kitesurfers have broken a Guinness World Record in Hampshire.

The 318 participants formed the largest parade of kitesurfers to complete a one-mile course.

More than 250 were needed at the event at Hayling Island Golf Course to break the record.

The Virgin boss said: "When you see the beauty of all these kites up in the sky it's magnificent [and] this is more than has ever happened before."

Funds were raised for Snow-Camp, the RNLI and Virgin Unite.
'Perilous aspect'

Sir Richard, who led the parade out to sea, added: "Kiting is one of the best sports there is, if not the best sport.

"Kiters are always up for a challenge and so I suspect next year there will be 600 kiters, and the year after that 900, and so on.

"The most perilous aspect of this is kites getting tangled up in the sky [but] it's really, relatively, very safe.
Sir Richard Branson Sir Richard led the parade out to sea

"I'd recommend it to anybody, just being out on the sea, blown by the wind, bouncing across the waves."

Sir Richard already holds the Guinness World Record as the oldest person to kitesurf across the English Channel.

The 61-year-old crossed from Dymchurch, Kent, to Wimereux in northern France in three hours 45 minutes in July 2012.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Sir Richard Branson breaks record in kitesurfing parade
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

That's great!

But I wonder...didn't eh Red Bull Coast2Coast had more kiters? But I guess it was not an official setup. They should have done it though...or is it not possible because it was organized by a brand?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby wrote:
That's great!

But I wonder...didn't eh Red Bull Coast2Coast had more kiters? But I guess it was not an official setup. They should have done it though...or is it not possible because it was organized by a brand?

coast 2 coast has a bit over 200, this parade has more. It's sir richard branson let him have another record, good for the sport.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

This is awesome! He is awesome!

But...

Board leash. Dude!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
This is awesome! He is awesome!

But...

Board leash. Dude!

they set off with a storm coming in.

ended up abandoning as seas were somewhere in the 8ft range.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:23 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I admire the guy etc... but this is not him breaking a record.... there were 317 other kiters there... Sir Richard was only a participant and a sponsor but hardly a sole record holder for this event.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Laughingman wrote:
... but this is not him breaking a record.... there were 317 other kiters there...

YES there Was !!

And i don't think the opening post , indicated anything other than than
what you are trying to say ?

Key-points here :

Toby wrote:
Sir Richard Branson breaks record in kitesurfing parade

The 318 participants formed the largest parade of kitesurfers to complete a one-mile course.

More than 250 were needed at the event at Hayling Island Golf Course to break the record.

Sir Richard, who led the parade out to sea, added: "Kiting is one of the best sports there is, if not the best sport.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Red bull coast 2 coast haf 348 competitors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

gmb13 wrote:
Red bull coast 2 coast haf 348 competitors.

ok fine. so red bull had more. I do remember that picture of the kiters looked crowded as hell. I dont care tho, if you have ever had a woman walk up to you and say "Hey I saw that picture of a guy is it called kiteboarding and a woman was riding naked. Well, you know . . . if there aren't too many people watching . . . "

In my eyes Sir Richard Branson can do no wrong. He also did that channel cross, all around great spokesperson for the sport. He's old too, which is great. Cut the dude some slack, he's helping make kiteboarding look safe, fun and sexy. What more do you want? Keep on popularizing our sport Rich I'm not gonna call you on it if your numbers aren't exact for a world record.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Billie
I don't think anyone is bashing the guy here...
I was merely pointing out that Toby's post is not accurate to the spirit of what was going on there and I think Sir Branson would agree with me. He did not break a record, he was part of a group of people that broke the record, they did break a record, but there is no I in team.... the thread title could easily read, 318 kiters including Sir Richard Branson breaks record..... instead Toby is purposefully being misleading with his statement. Do you think it would be accurate for me to say "Richard Branson helped Laughingman break a record ...... " Probably not... do you see the point now?

edt
As far as the semantics gmb13 has pointed out he is merely stating facts, in no way does this detract from the record being set as you need officials present to make the record official. I think your admiration for Sir Branson is allowing you to become a bit defensive in this instance... just sayin

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next