All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Solution to wet wetsuits!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:19 pm 
Frequent Poster

noel wrote:
Are you useing a wetsuit or drysuit in the winter?

I have a fantastic drysuit - Kokatat GMER - which I sometimes use far into the season as I find it more comfortable than a wetsuit except harness slips a bit and huge boots are annoying. I still much prefer bare feet. But that is the exception:

Some here surf 5/3 wetsuits three to four seasons, most 6/5/4 hooded wetsuit in winter, or drysuit winter. Most like to get out of their drysuit when they can, and that is when it is colder than your winter. Below 50F (10C) water is about when we start wearing boots I guess. Weekend warriors give up by then. The hard core surf as long as the ocean isn't closed by ice. On a sunny day this isn't really that cold but you get tired quickly. I draw the line when air temp goes sub-zero and the lines starts to ice up, and safety is compromised.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

noel wrote:
....As for it taking days to dry out your suit? That's your fault. Let me give you a hint. If you hang you suit outside for an hour until it stops dripping, and then move it in the house for the night, it will be dry and warm by morning.

Given that is exactly what I do, how is it my fault that my suit does not dry overnight?

I don't hang the suit over a heating vent because it's inconvenient to do that and I don't run the heating at night, it's wasteful of energy and uncomfortable for sleeping.

The outer surface is touch dry (in this case it's the inside of the suit because it's hanging inside out). But the ends of the arms and legs are wet, the inner surface is damp and the inner recesses of any flaps are damp. There's no way it could be put away for storage or put into a bag with dry clothes.

I've got any number of purpose built hangers and racks and they help with drying but thick suits still take a long time to dry naturally without using heaters or blowers.

I went out this morning (Wednesday) and took in my suit that I hung out on Monday afternoon (after 3 days of kiting and surfing every day, including checking out a couple of whales :D ). Still wet around the ankles and cuffs. Still damp on the inside. Booties are still wet on the inside.

Either you guys are from warm, dry climates, or you're using heating vents to dry your suits.

I will happily join the queue to buy a wetsuit rack if it improves drying and doesn't require any additional energy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Peter_Frank wrote:
Why do you even dry your wetsuits that often, as it seems some do ?

a wetsuit that isn't dry is fine in summer, but in the fall and winter it's like putting on clothing made of icecubes. You must know this Peter.

Last edited by edt on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

OzBungy wrote:
The outer surface is touch dry (in this case it's the inside of the suit because it's hanging inside out). But the ends of the arms and legs are wet, the inner surface is damp and the inner recesses of any flaps are damp.

that sounds decent to me ozbungy. For me I want it dry enough so I won't lose core temperature when I put it on a bit of damp at the ends of the arms and legs doesn't bother me. You are trying to get the entire thing bone dry, I see why it takes a few days for you now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

This is off the "Hang Goose" website but explains everything I have found as well as some friends in much colder climates. I wear a 4/3 as my main suit with other for warmer weather.

It hangs my size 6 6/4 hoodie suit perfectly balanced against my 7mil mutant booties and claw mitts.  Dry time takes about 18-20 hrs hanging in my basement...as it would only freeze outside.   Before using the hangGoose, I would have to put my wetsuit back on damp the next day - which sucks to have a chill even BEFORE getting into the 35 - 38 deg water here in Maine during the winter.  Hanging the suit in half makes a big difference with that dry time.  The cool design that allows the booties to hang upside down actually allows for them to dry as well....minimizing the skank factor.  The mitts I hang from the clawed forefingers.  They too dry before the next day.  This design is so much better than hanging the suit from the neck, as I've worn through fire guards this way, or lying it on a towel and having to constantly turn it over to dry.  Especially for this cold weather situation where thick neoprene usually takes forever to dry, and the fact that you can't hang it outside in the low temps I adore my HangGoose.  But my 3/2 suit, 3mil booties and gloves will have a home on it as well come summertime - that way all is sure to be dry and skank-free for any same day second sessions. 

Let me also say this is without heat or a fan and uses no electricity. You could just make it out of a 2x4 or two.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:09 am 
Rare Poster

Heres an old surfing trick for cold wet wetsuits
Put your wetsuit under the hot water tap just before you leave to go kiting or surfing ,
Then jam it into a small cooler box .
Half an hour to an hour later you have
a nice toasty wetsuit to put on
with the help maybe of a plastic
packet ( to get feet and arms

Happy kiting !

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:17 pm 
Medium Poster

I live in Scotland so it can get a 'wee bit chilly' in the winter! What I do with my suit is make sure the sand is off and stick it on a short cycle with no detergent in the washing machine, then I put it on for a 1600rpm spin. Throw it over a chair or door and it is dry by morning on the inside - if it is goign to be stored away for a while then I'll turn it right way out and dry the outer surface also.

If It was a long session with a lot of pee pee then I sometimes throw in some fabric softner - this stuff is actually hydrophobic and as well as smelling of a summer meadow the suit slips on very easily. There is no way I'd want to put on a damp wetsuit here in the winter... even wedged in the backset of the car with the heater on full.

Spin cycle all the way dudes :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

OzBungy wrote:
noel wrote:
....As for it taking days to dry out your suit? That's your fault. Let me give you a hint. If you hang you suit outside for an hour until it stops dripping, and then move it in the house for the night, it will be dry and warm by morning.

Given that is exactly what I do, how is it my fault that my suit does not dry overnight?

guess u may know already this but.. do u rinse your suit after using, before you put it to dry?
(to dry a ´salty´ suit takes way + time)

there are some magical suits where the hype is they dry in 15 min or so, don´t you guys tend to use 1 of those if cold is an issue? i think i would

in any case it´s really bad if you let him dry completly, the neopren will break once you put it on

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Agree with Tiago here, that a totally dry (almost crisp) suit will wear out faster :roll:

And putting on a slightly wet suit in the winther, might be a "challenge" indeed, but grow some balls and get used to it :naughty:

IMO you will NOT be colder, as it is just a (for many) unpleasant feeling lasting a few seconds max, and then it will be all heated up and be even warmer in a jiffy.

Actually, you might even in some cases be able to start the Lewis Reaction thus be much warmer out there.

I think (I havent done it), that if you calculate the energy needed for heating the really thin layer, almost just "damp", up - it will be almost nothing.

So I only dry the suits very rare...

The best way to stay warm, is to be REALLY warm before you put your suit on (the most important of all - NEVER rig without lots of warm clothing), and to "work" bodyheat out when riding.
And of course learn to trigger the Lewis Reaction - really important.
Then you dont need a thick suit, nor gloves nor shoes nor hoods :rollgrin:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tiago1973 wrote:
guess u may know already this but.. do u rinse your suit after using, before you put it to dry?
(to dry a ´salty´ suit takes way + time)

If I'm wearing the suit the next day then I don't rinse it. If it's Sunday night on the off season then it gets rinsed. The only difference I notice between rinsing and not is that a rinsed suit is wetter to start with.

Tiago1973 wrote:
there are some magical suits where the hype is they dry in 15 min or so, don´t you guys tend to use 1 of those if cold is an issue? i think i would

I have a RipCurl Flash Bomb and it does indeed feel touch dry after 15-20 minutes as claimed in the advertising. It's not really dry. The moisture is still there under the surface and at the wrists and ankles of the suit.

Tiago1973 wrote:
in any case it´s really bad if you let him dry completly, the neopren will break once you put it on

Really? I've never had a wetsuit "break" because I let it dry. Certainly all gear (wetsuit, harness, lines, boots etc) are softer and more flexible when they're wet but break?

Suit drying is only an issue for storage and packing gear into a compact space. Putting on a damp wetsuit is not really an issue. Things that stay wet end up stinky and corrosion develops on metal fittings.

[ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next