All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Location (Un-kited)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:08 pm 
Rare Poster

I am still new at kiting, but curious what you typically look for when you venture to a hidden kite location.

There are a lot of tips etc on local kite spots but obv not for the hidden ones.

When I go to a new known kiting location, I typically look around for obstacles (land and sea), wind direction, other kiters (if present)

I plan on venturing around the south coast of pakistan and curious to know what to be careful of when kiting. (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/gwadar_airport)

Some times I pass by an area and think to my self, "why isnt this a kite spot?" What are some of the reasons you would not kite in a location and what do i look out for?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: New Location (Un-kited)
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You have to do a site assessment, this is basic kitesurfing theory and if you have had lessons I am shocked that you was not taught this :o . You need at assess the hazards and decide whether it is safe to go out. If in doubt, don't go out!!

If you find a really nice spot and no one is kiting you have to ask yourself why, local knowledge and utilising the internet is usually the best way to find out about restrictions and hazards that may not be immediately obviously. Ring the local shop if there is one, they will usually give you a heads up.

Just reading through your post I missed the bit about you going to Pakistan, I would imagine the cost of kiting will mean that it isn't a hugely popular pastime, in addition access and the long distance from emergency services can be the main issue with exotic kite spots. You should go back and study site assessment theory so that you can do a site assessment when you get there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Watch out for al qaeda

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

submarines
container traffic lane
other traffic pile up, such as approaches to opening bridges
helicopter approach zone
religion based kite anxiety (as stated above)
eagles with hungry chicks
dead cows and other water pollutants
IED's and land mines
poisonous snakes
large anacondi
alligators and related
rhinos
quicksand
ww2 residue such as gas cannisters and decomposing bunkers
local regulations (incl. wild life protection)
police looking for income
atypical wind change patterns
kids that never have seen a kite before
comodo dragons
power lines
frog migration
military shooting area
border police
fishing nets and poles
hidden rocks
mayfly swarming
nut crushing fish
amoeba and other waterborne deseases
diving seaturtles and whales (esp. when jumping)
divers
jet skiers and power boats
beach goers
triathletes
angry people in beach houses
oil spills
down wind hazards, any of the above, and more

just to name a few

(one of the above is only if you bring a dog or if you are very small)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Leviathan_86 wrote:
I am still new at kiting, but curious what you typically look for when you venture to a hidden kite location.

There are a lot of tips etc on local kite spots but obv not for the hidden ones.

When I go to a new known kiting location, I typically look around for obstacles (land and sea), wind direction, other kiters (if present)

I plan on venturing around the south coast of pakistan and curious to know what to be careful of when kiting. (http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/gwadar_airport)

Some times I pass by an area and think to my self, "why isnt this a kite spot?" What are some of the reasons you would not kite in a location and what do i look out for?

Crocs...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:24 pm 
Frequent Poster

Icebird - far out brussell sprout, you forgot the angry ninja turtles..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
kids that never have seen a kite before

that one.

Taliban don't kite........

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:50 pm 
Rare Poster

JGTR wrote:
You have to do a site assessment, this is basic kitesurfing theory and if you have had lessons I am shocked that you was not taught this :o . You need at assess the hazards and decide whether it is safe to go out. If in doubt, don't go out!!

If you find a really nice spot and no one is kiting you have to ask yourself why, local knowledge and utilising the internet is usually the best way to find out about restrictions and hazards that may not be immediately obviously. Ring the local shop if there is one, they will usually give you a heads up.

Just reading through your post I missed the bit about you going to Pakistan, I would imagine the cost of kiting will mean that it isn't a hugely popular pastime, in addition access and the long distance from emergency services can be the main issue with exotic kite spots. You should go back and study site assessment theory so that you can do a site assessment when you get there.

Could you direct me to a link regarding kite surf assessment theory? How does it defer to some of the hazards I posted?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

ALS0,

watch out for Islands rising up unpredictably in front of you and Earthquakes/Tsunamis and flammable gases........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-24272552

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 am 
Frequent Poster

Whirlpools, radiation, lava heated water, cougars(the woman kind) man o wars, overweight speedo wearers, sand fleas, swimmers itch, low flying blimps , homeless surfers ,foil riders, clowns, bi-polar polar bears, crabs, meteorites, gamma rays, hunger pang induced paranoid beach goers, zombies, bear-sharks, icebergs, narwhales, rocks, barnacles, ghosts, jellyfish , epic infinity etc.....

[ 10 posts ]