All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: EH Ovando - who still flys these? Who has owned them?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:47 pm 
Rare Poster

EH designs rock. The Ripper and Ovando were/ are specific kites for specific kiting conditions/needs/wants. The Ovando was made for, and excelled in, lighter wind powered freestyle/freeride - as having such a very large projected area but yet offered a C-Kite feel (although a bow kite). I had every size (7,9,11,13m) and although it took me a while to really dial-in to them and realize and feel their full potential, I absolutely loved them when I finally reached their level of performance....definitely not a beginner kite but a skilled kiter would definitely appreciate and have a ton of fun on an Ovando. Powerful and fast, especially through the turns! I rode mostly on my 11m as I'm a large dude. When the winds were higher the 9m and 7m were enjoyed a lot. (the 9m boosts incredibly.) The 13m Ovando compares to a 15 or 16m kite in low-end capability, so a great LW machine. See the EH Ovando video playlist on youtube for good visuals.

As the Ovando design offers the power of a comparable kite the size of 2m-3m sq more, of course the high-end of the kite is not the same as the same size of another kite.

Now the RIpper is the kite that was made for and excels in high and gusty winds/ storm winds. I had a 12m and a 7m. No matter how gnarly the conditions became, the Ripper made you feel like riding even harder and getting the most fun out of the wind's gnarliness without any worry/stress what so ever.

The EH Beast was the do it all and good beginner kite. I had the 9m. Very floaty and forgiving with super hang-time (very steerable hang-time which was neat).

I still have 7m, 9m, 13m Ovandos (2010) that are for sale - $350, $400, $450 kite only with bag. All were used handful of times (or less), so their condition is next to new, and they work on any 4 line bar with a mini-5th safety. I have one 45cm EH bar/lines in great condition for additional $150. PM me if you may be interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:10 pm 
Rare Poster

I've had an 11 m for over 3 years , love the power , came off a 2008 rhino onto one of these , ovando had a little better bottom end than the 12 rhino ,but the rhino had a way better and manageable top end , jumping and power very similar. Factory safety on the ovando is a joke and seriously deadly , I modified the safety and depower system which helped greatly. Used it for about 12 months solid before buying a 13 m rebel.

Have just dug out the ovando and dusted it off , reglued all the valves which have fallen off , will be taking it out in the next couple of days.Also got out the old rhino , can't wait to get out on these two old girls for old times sake.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Rattlehead wrote:
I've had an 11 m for over 3 years , love the power , came off a 2008 rhino onto one of these , ovando had a little better bottom end than the 12 rhino ,but the rhino had a way better and manageable top end , jumping and power very similar. Factory safety on the ovando is a joke and seriously deadly , I modified the safety and depower system which helped greatly. Used it for about 12 months solid before buying a 13 m rebel.

Have just dug out the ovando and dusted it off , reglued all the valves which have fallen off , will be taking it out in the next couple of days.Also got out the old rhino , can't wait to get out on these two old girls for old times sake.

I used to have the 11 Ovando. It had was the most powerful 11 I have flow (about like a 13). It was fast and went up wind amazingly high. Great jump and float. But there were some disturbing characteristics that scared me a few times like inversion, very limited top end, and dropping out in the lulls. If only these could have been corrected while keeping the great performance.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2