All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Koh Lipe Thailand / December advice?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:26 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi,

I´m off to northern Malaysia / Thailand in late December, and one stop will be Koh Lipe. I googled some photos of people kiting there, any of you have any experience about the spot?
Also if anyone knows about equipment rental, that would be sweet :allbegood: . Propably not going to carry my kit since the idea is to be backpacking along the coastline.

Thanks for any info!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Koh Lipe Thailand / December advice?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:20 pm 
Medium Poster

There's likely to be no wind on Koh Lipe in December. I was there for a week in December a few years ago and there was no wind at all. That time of year you need to get to the Pacific side of Asia (like VT or Philippines) to get good wind. You may be able to get some in the Gulf of Thailand but not in the Andaman. Sorry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 am 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, you are right, I´m on the wrong side for kiting! Anyway, it´s not a kiting trip, but I was hopeful of maybe scoring some action.

Dunno tho, a non-kiting friend was there few years ago and said he saw plenty of kites at Lipe. Also some locals have said that last Christmas was very windy.

Might just drag along a big kite and a board just to be safe. Hate it when the wind picks up and no gear with you :angryfire: ha ha ...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:52 pm 
Frequent Poster

What about Phi Phi and Ao Nang around 8th-12th January? May I have any chance of kitesurfing by rental?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:01 pm 
Rare Poster

Just came back from Koh Lipe.

Guess what. Blowing every single morning and every single evening for 5 days I spent there. And no I didn´t bring my gear. Luckily however I got a clue during a diving trip that someone has got gear on the Island. Hooked up accidentally at Forra divers with Matthew. Very cool guy who rented me a kit for the last day. I have never kited in such a paradise. I was the only kiter there. Matt is considering opening up a shop / school there.

Next time I´ll surely take my kit along...

Attachments:
IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG [ 1.06 MIB | Viewed 390 times ]
 [ 5 posts ]