All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: North Dice impressions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:38 pm 
Frequent Poster

Hey West Ozzy - I took apart the end caps today to check out the knots. It came from the factory on the 2nd knot (red). Are you saying I should put it on the 1st knot (shortest rear line setting)?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeh pull through one knot and lock in. Yeh shortest back line knot. As the front lines stretch, then just dial it out again. My mates 12 has been ridden heaps already and his minififth is fairly taught, so they will stretch eventually. Did it in my bros lines yesterday he was stoked.

Reckon for unhooking though may need to adjust the depower a bit now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm 
Frequent Poster

OK West Ozzy - Got out in about 17-25mph today and rode with the rear lines shortened to the 1st knot. Right away I could tell the difference. I was lit up pretty good on my SB and had to depower maybe 6 inches on the trim rope. Yeh the bar sat maybe 6 inches off the iron heart. In the lulls I had all that extra room to power up. Easiest answer was - more power available and different sweet spot with arms extended a little farther away.

For the 2nd session I went back to the 2nd knot (factory setting). The wind was about the same so to compensate I had to let out the trim rope all the way for max power. I was sitting about 3 inches off the iron heart and it seemed to be a more dialed in sweet spot for me. I attribute this to the fact that I use a Dynabar and already have an extra 2 inches farther away for my harness hook. So closer to the iron heart is better for me (in this wind). However knock 3-4mph off this windspeed and I will totally change to the shortest knot. Just more power at your disposal.

On a happy note I have totally made friends with the Dice and it's best attribute is drift. Gathering board speed from a wave, lowering the kite to the water and driving towards it. At one point I went so fast towards it, then depowered and all 4 lines went slack. But nothing funky with the kite. Didn't buckle or fall - just backed up. Then on the upstroke a great surge of power to get out. That's the beauty - the upstroke is fast powerful but not grunty. It's even power and very dynamic! I'm wondering what the kite would be in maybe a 12 or 13m size. But the 10m is tits in a glass :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:52 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Tits in a glass.....ha ha ha...

Yeh we use SBs but also go nuts on TTs as well on the flat and on the ocean with no swell.

Finding with the knot change, when you boost and pull in, the kite sits a little more back and gives you some extra float and hang time to get some rotations in etc etc, but also for looping gives you that bit of extra leeway to really pull and crank. But yes when unhooking I need to depower a bit.

We ride heavily powered or as much as possible coming from edges. Others on 8 or 9s we are on the 11or 12m :D

But yeh my mate whose an out and out SB rider has left it at the factory setting.

Yes we are still getting surprised by its simplicity and intuitiveness in the waves. Full slack lines are not a concern anymore, don't even look at the kite!

My bro is still struggling with it a bit. He loves his hang time and loves his dangly dangly stuff. If ya into that kind of thing I would wait for the new evo/fuse. He did notice the difference though. He learnt in the bow era like many and is coming to grips with flying what is a really C shaped old style kite with all modern smoothness technology has to offer. I have a feeling a lot of riders who have commented on the low end are having the same issues. I had to remember back to good old days and apply. Much prefer this now, funny how the needle returns to the start of the song. What I wonder is for a first gen kite wtf they could do to improve it. Let's hope they don't change it too much for change sake and fuck it up like the 2013 rebel....lol!! Just my opinion of course, some people love the 2013..... :?:

But for wave riding, powered freestyle guys its a winner. As they market it I suppose. Okay there may be better wave kites out there, maybe the REO or drifter, maybe, but man I can't see what more you would want really, unless you are on the cutting edge of pushing the boundaries of which 99 percent of us aren't.

Also you said you were powered. When the wind is such that you still want to get out and chuck some stuff down without putting up your new zephyr :thumb: , this line adjustment is sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:40 am 
Frequent Poster

Today's session was the most nirvana yet. 16-20 knots. "Transparent" is the best word for this kite. It's light, the bar pressure is light but builds when you need it, the kite has 3 struts, it absorbs gusts. I read what WestOzzy said on the "Vegas or Dice" thread and he's right about the hidden potential. Since it is so "easy" to fly you can do many subtle things with it. It doesn't yank you out of the pocket - you decide when to get out and then steer the Dice and it's upstroke is so smooth fast and effortless. Bottom line you can really focus on your riding and the kite just flies on transparently :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:04 am 
Frequent Poster

Any bigger kiters try the dice. 3 strut deform under load?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Good question. Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

clydesdale wrote:
Any bigger kiters try the dice. 3 strut deform under load?

I had a noticeable deformation of leading edge when I dove the Dice very quickly and fully depowered. It was not pumped very hard - just the recommended 6psi. I'm over 200lb and I was pulling hard on my harness to waterstart. Frankly nothing happened, and kite was otherwise rock solid. So yes you can deform it if you are heavy and try hard, but I cannot imagine it being a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:55 am 
Very Frequent Poster

6psi is a crazy minimum I'm sure they out on it for warranty purposes.

We are at minimum 8psi, I run them around 8 to 8.5...sometimes near 9 if its nukin.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:48 pm 
Rare Poster

I have the 8m and 10m dice. I have rode the 8m about 6 times in conditions from 26 to 35 knots. I'm loving the kite so far and am shocked i was able to stay out on the water in such high wind conditions. The kite definitely jumps a lot different than my 2012 evo kites, but once you find the sweet spot, hold on for some major vertical. Jumps are more up and down wind than evo.

The 6lb psi seemed a little light to me after riding without a pressure gauge since i started kiting. i pumped up to 7.5 and the kite never folded or bent any any way the entire time even with gusts up to 40 knots.

Cant wait to ride the kites in non nuking conditions, and try some unhooked.

[ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next