[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Loop goes reallly wrong
PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

FabsPH wrote:
Hawaiis wrote:
Amazing he did't drop the kite.

yup, amazing kite control ,... kudos...

Amazing kite control? he wasn't doing a good job when he was conscious but seemed to have more control when he was unconscious. he had plenty of time to get the kite overhead but lacked the control or know how. lucky guy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
I wonder if he was looking for turtles?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:00 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I did a tow up behind a jetski (about 7-8 years ago) and had a steering line snap on the kite.
Was on my way down when it broke but I still hit the water harder than I could imagine was possible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:06 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

i can't understand how he dropped like a stone so fast... broken line ..? dont see how static line break would drop him so fast.. any eyewitnesses?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:35 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

The rope to the mast allows the kiter to gain altitude without the normal power required to get up there. the combination of windspeed, looping kite speed, and height exceeds the range of the kite and skill of rider.
When you are a human pendulum between a mast and a kite, no doubt it is hard to steer the kite steadily.
Then the halyard breaks, so add gravity to the acceleration of the downward looping kite.
Ouch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:12 am 
Very Frequent Poster

longwhitecloud wrote:
i can't understand how he dropped like a stone so fast... broken line ..? dont see how static line break would drop him so fast.. any eyewitnesses?!

physics.

the kite is held in place by a force exerted by the sailboat, the kiter is just a weight that slightly indents that line.

When the line breaks, the kiter is catapulted slightly forward, look at the video. The kite lines are now 100% slack and impossible to steer.

The kiter will now fall until he is 1 line length below the kite. Unfortunately he was above the kite when this happened because of the loop.

There is nothing he could do once the tether broke. No tension in the kite lines, so he can't steer it. Watch it again you'll see it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i think i see . the timing was a bit unlucky of the loop! the tether broke at just about the worst angle.... u sure could get killed dropping from that height I reckon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:04 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

longwhitecloud wrote:
i think i see . the timing was a bit unlucky of the loop! the tether broke at just about the worst angle.... u sure could get killed dropping from that height I reckon

It's not really that unlucky because the maximum force will be applied just as the kite pulls straight thru the bottom of the power zone so if it's gonna break that's where it will do so. The lesson here is if you want to fly high up in the air just get a paraglider.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:44 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

matth wrote:
Does not feeling bad for someone doing something stupid make me a bad person?

Nope - I dont feel bad about it either - if you do such a thing, you know you might get seriously injured, or die, before you do it :thumb:

Doing a high tow up is risky in itself, true.
But even if a frontline breaks, the kite will most likely helicopter loop you down, IF the tow boat cuts the rope immediately when the kite starts to turn that is.

The thing that was wrong here, was doing the kiteloop with tension on the tow line - because as edt said, the most likely moment for a line or connection break is at the lowest point of the loop, where the kite will not give any "parachute" effect whatsoever, nor be controllable with slack lines :(

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 pm 
Frequent Poster

I glad we a have a forum to post this stuff.

Some might see this is as funny, dumb, risky...whatever. I think we all learn from these things which might not seem dangerous at the onset but clearly are.

fack...thats some serious shit. edt is spot on in his analysis

[ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3