All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Do you log your sessions?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:13 am 
Medium Poster

I was wondering how many people log their sessions either on an online forum, in their own log book \ journal, or something like an spreadsheet?

Here in Victoria, BC, a vast majority of kiters, and windsurfers, log their sessions to keep track of their own progress, equipment, number of sessions per year, and share their stoke with the community.

Does your forum have something like that?

Here's a couple of examples...
BigWaveDave.ca - http://www.bigwavedave.ca/phpBB2/sailin ... ode=common
Ocean Rode - http://oceanrodeo.com/crew/session_logs

I tend to use to mainly keep track of my work \ life balance, so how many sessions \ year am I getting; keep track of a record of usage on equipment for maintenance and resale purposes; knowing if I should have gone East instead West when reading other logs.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Do you log your sessions?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I do, right now I've been keeping a spreadsheet but am developing a suuuuper simple app to just put in basic info like kite size, wind speed, duration, etc and show a bunch analytics on it, like a pie chart for which kite sizes are used the most during each month of the year, average sessions per month and things like that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:14 am 
Frequent Poster

I think there are a few apps for that purpose. I believe Weendy is one. I logged my first season and the lessons I taught. I don't have time to log stuff anymore, I kite too much. Thankfully I can watch the videos or pictures I take most days and just remember it all from there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Use blogger to record my thoughts and kites used etc...

dyyylan wrote:
I do, right now I've been keeping a spreadsheet but am developing a suuuuper simple app to just put in basic info like kite size, wind speed, duration, etc and show a bunch analytics on it, like a pie chart for which kite sizes are used the most during each month of the year, average sessions per month and things like that

That'd rock. I'd prefer a bar graph though :D

Be good to be able click a button and compare what kite used how often, in what wind, with what board, and how good it was...

But on a webpage; click a few buttons to input your data. Hmm...

Oh and cost of gear - be neat to get a cost-per-session or -hour for bits of kit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I keep a log book / journal. I used to be religious about it, but now I probably only capture 70%.
I find it most useful when I can't decide what kite to put up on a particular day based on the wind and water conditions. I can flip back in my log book and look for similar weather and then read comments regarding if I wish I'd had a bigger kite or was perfectly powered, etc.
Comes in useful.

How many times have you assessed the wind conditions, chosen a kite, and then someone else comes by and tells you are rigging too big or too small...you change your kite, go out, and wish you'd stuck with your instincts on what was right for you? The journal helps me. Or, if you just had a good memory I guess you don't need it. :)

Anyway, good to know other kiters do this also! I had gotten the idea from watching backcountry ski guides. They assess the snow/weather/group conditions at the top of each run and then summarize after how it went. Helps them learn to read the snowpack better and recall what worked on particular days and with particular types of groups.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:26 am 
Frequent Poster

I tried to log sessions this year, actually I logged the days I didn't kite since it was easier. Lost my count at Nitinat this summer. Somewhere around 200 days. I'd be interested in seeing someones spreadsheet for the lifespan of a kite. Or maybe that would ruin it knowing it's costing me $30-40 per session on average.
Great idea for kiteforum!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

have a look at this, it is the most advanced session log software with tons of possibilities and stats:

https://apps.facebook.com/makulocom/

http://makulo.com/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:45 am 
Rare Poster

I have a year calender on the fridge, easy just to write in session details, spot, wind speed, direction, kite, waves, freestyle. When I travel I take a month calendar. Should really use the apps, but it is a mission as one does not always have u r computer or mobile with you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:39 am 
Very Frequent Poster

A kiwi does this site http://www.sessionlogs.com

i did logs for a couple of weeks, kind of hard to update when u got OCD like me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:05 am 
Medium Poster

with garmin gps and garmin connect its very simple and you can ad your remaraks to it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365658481

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next