All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Mako Fin Experience
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Considering bigger fins on my mako due to sliding out in 25+ winds jamming hard turns.
I currently use the H156mms in TT mode. Can anyone comment on any improvements the 85mm or even the 100 might yield? Thanks :kiss:

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Mako Fin Experience
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

In TT mode or mutant?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Double post... deleted

Last edited by Laughingman on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 am 
Very Frequent Poster

If you are sliding out with a Mako your stance needs to be adjusted. The fins on a Mako are only useful when riding the board flat. Try adjusting your weight distribution. Use the concave to edge not the fin.

Last edited by Laughingman on Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

What laughingman said. Mako is super grippy if you ride it right (stance like a surfboard really). Most common reason for sliding out I've experienced is too much back foot pressure.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:03 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I ride my 150 with mutant fins now and pad as far back as you can go. Does reduce what you are talking about on bigger waves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I did try mutant with just the two 56mm on the bottom and pads down - found it slid out way too much and the nose was slapping. I can save that nonsense for the surfboard. Thanks! :-?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 am 
Rare Poster

I have been riding the Mako King for 5 months on flat and wind swell waves. No fin, twin set up, single fin and mutante. I like single fin so far. I only slide if I put to much pressure on the back foot. As soon I start to slide I correct my stand.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:25 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I run the 56 both ends and two north 50mm mutant fins on the side. No slapping, just got to be a little more careful riding the other way, but easy enough to sort out. I have tried every fin size and pad placement combo I can think of and this works the best. Also much easier to load when jumping when heading back out. Had some fantastic downwind session in head to double head waves like this, no probs. you do have to control speed for aggressive cut backs as that concave almost makes the rail act like a big fin and it will judder and not break out when you want it.

Just get smooth with your approach and style and it works a treat. The mako is designed to carve not slash.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

NYKiter wrote:
Considering bigger fins on my mako due to sliding out in 25+ winds jamming hard turns.
I currently use the H156mms in TT mode. Can anyone comment on any improvements the 85mm or even the 100 might yield? Thanks :kiss:

There was a kiteforum thread where larger fins on Mako we discussed extensively. I cannot recount what I said exactly then, but my conclusion was that the best compromise for my most used board (Mako Wide 150) were fins from my Spleen Zone, re-positioned nearer the center of the board by 1.5 or 2 inches. The result is a completely different board: no more sliding (spinout) in hard turns or when landing, more grip, better upwind, and just as easy flipping (which is not the case with large area fins with low aspect ratio) , and most importantly, a more wave-board like feeling on the lip.
I'll try to post a pic if you insist... :bye:

[ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next