Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot compstick users...

forum for kitesurfers


fdvj
Frequent Poster
Posts: 427
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 pm
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby fdvj » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:36 am

I respect your message, but my 50% figure is based on my experience in my conditions and not yours. I think it would be great if you made some informative videos covering some of the misinformation in the kiting world. A good place to start would be the handle pass leash attachment. Make a video and simulate a release to a leash attached to the back of a harness while being dragged.
Also well done for not using the word safety in your posts as it shouldn't be used in relation to QRs, etc as it implies an absolute and if you have been kiting long enough you will know anything that can go wrong will.
Just one thing its a trimming not depowering, we all say it but its incorrect ( and yes I use the wrong words as well) and gives people the wrong idea.

User avatar
windrt
Medium Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:35 pm
Kiting since: 0
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Kite + Board + rest of stuff you normally use.
Location: windrats.com
Contact:

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby windrt » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:16 am

I see your point bnthere, and I admit it's much safer than suicide. No doubt there. Even Eric Rienstra rides on 5th

eric wrote:
Just yesterday I was going for a 7 super lit on a 17 Turbine (no 5th) and when I missed it the leash wrapped around my legs and pulled my knees together. I was all tangled up getting submarined trying to unwind myself as the leash ripped a bunch of skin off behind my knee. That will pretty much happen every time I miss a 7 if I don't have a 5th because you wrap yourself in the leash and I usually fall backwards not forwards.

Plus I can throw the bar if I am falling off the upwind side of a rail and be chillin. My kite never tomahawks into the water either. I will say the Fuel is the only kite that can reliably relaunch off a 5th for some reason and if it does ever get tangled the slingy bar doesn't have a Y split on the center lines so I can untangle it on the spot.

I do admit it sucks when you land a trick without the bar and can't just pull it in without getting wet.



... but I think that's not my case. I don't throw 7s, I have no sliders to ride, I think 30 seconds for a relaunch is an eternity and reeling a lost bar back in DOES COUNT for me.

every one should try each way and pick the best one for himself, I'd say.

ripper tom
Rare Poster
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:41 pm

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby ripper tom » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:52 pm

Image
Image.....

Farmerr
Rare Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Wasaga/Simcoe
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant
Style: Nube
Gear: 2009 9M Cabrinha convert, 2012 12M Cabrinha Vector
2009 131x40 Nobile NHP, 2012 142x44 Airush Switch
Brand Affiliation: Brooklands Farm

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby Farmerr » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Has anyone thought of rigging a suicide leash with an extra line running through it connecting to the 'mini 5th' which is then connected to an additional release at your harness. That way you could ride suicide but if shit hits the fan when unhooked, eject your leash at the harness which would then let the bar and leash run up that additional line and allow you to pull in the flagged kite. And if you wanted to eject the kite completely just release the 5th which is attached at your harness...

also, rigging in the above way might effect the way the kite flies cause it would be pulling on that front line effectively. Has anyone noticed that? I would try but there's no wind atm.

I might make this for myself...but if a manufacturer makes something legit and comfy/padded, I might buy it.

ps. letting everyone know I'm stoked to go to kenya..non stop training coming up. BOO YA. And yes, I'll be unhooking. Might try a mobe 7 :cool2:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby TheJoe » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Farmerr wrote:Has anyone thought of rigging a suicide leash with an extra line running through it connecting to the 'mini 5th' which is then connected to an additional release at your harness. That way you could ride suicide but if shit hits the fan when unhooked, eject your leash at the harness which would then let the bar and leash run up that additional line and allow you to pull in the flagged kite. And if you wanted to eject the kite completely just release the 5th which is attached at your harness...

also, rigging in the above way might effect the way the kite flies cause it would be pulling on that front line effectively. Has anyone noticed that? I would try but there's no wind atm.

I might make this for myself...but if a manufacturer makes something legit and comfy/padded, I might buy it.

ps. letting everyone know I'm stoked to go to kenya..non stop training coming up. BOO YA. And yes, I'll be unhooking. Might try a mobe 7 :cool2:


I am thinking about it. I know Slingy used to sell one for the Fuels. I'm built like an old hardwood stump and ride pretty powered so my crashes can be brutal.

As far as what a kite does in crashes argument goes. They can stay in the air on a missed pass, tomahawk, hell any and every possible thing a kite can do it can do when crashing. I've torn kites, blown out my deflate valve, and yesterday even snapped 2 line extensions (no more Q-Power for me). They are my kites and it's my money so why argue one way over the other? State your reasons and move on if someone wants to try flagging out every time they crash they are free too. Ranting and picking fights will only piss people off and not persuade them to try what you suggest.

P.S. Flagging a kite in boots sucks!

User avatar
bnthere
Frequent Poster
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: South Padre Island and South Texas USA

Hood River and the Columbia River Gorge USA
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island Texas: year round the best flatwater and fall - winter - spring fun wave riding as well.
Style: all styles of kite riding
Gear: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Brand Affiliation: Blade
Mystic
WindAlert
Seadoo
Headzone

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby bnthere » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 am

TheJoe wrote:
Farmerr wrote:Has anyone thought of rigging a suicide leash with an extra line running through it connecting to the 'mini 5th' which is then connected to an additional release at your harness. That way you could ride suicide but if shit hits the fan when unhooked, eject your leash at the harness which would then let the bar and leash run up that additional line and allow you to pull in the flagged kite. And if you wanted to eject the kite completely just release the 5th which is attached at your harness...


I am thinking about it. I know Slingy used to sell one for the Fuels.
P.S. Flagging a kite in boots sucks!



no they didnt, and no it doesnt. it is the same as it is in any other situation.

User avatar
dyyylan
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1754
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 pm
Kiting since: 1901
Gear: N/A

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby dyyylan » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:56 am

bnthere wrote:no they didnt, and no it doesnt. it is the same as it is in any other situation.


Image

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby TheJoe » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 am

bnthere wrote:
TheJoe wrote:
Farmerr wrote:Has anyone thought of rigging a suicide leash with an extra line running through it connecting to the 'mini 5th' which is then connected to an additional release at your harness. That way you could ride suicide but if shit hits the fan when unhooked, eject your leash at the harness which would then let the bar and leash run up that additional line and allow you to pull in the flagged kite. And if you wanted to eject the kite completely just release the 5th which is attached at your harness...


I am thinking about it. I know Slingy used to sell one for the Fuels.
P.S. Flagging a kite in boots sucks!



no they didnt, and no it doesnt. it is the same as it is in any other situation.


http://www.slingshotsports.com/kite/products/parts-accessories/2005-oneline22m-grab-line2m

Whats this? Is it? No it can't be! Hmm 5th line conversion kite for Fuels. But you say they never did and it's on their site. They must be liars out to tarnish your good name. Tsk Tsk SlingShot shame on you.

Farmerr
Rare Poster
Posts: 24
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:41 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Wasaga/Simcoe
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant
Style: Nube
Gear: 2009 9M Cabrinha convert, 2012 12M Cabrinha Vector
2009 131x40 Nobile NHP, 2012 142x44 Airush Switch
Brand Affiliation: Brooklands Farm

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby Farmerr » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Not what I meant. I'll try again: sure rig that 5th but now imagine the 5th line running through the leash and attached to the harness... and imagine 2 releases at the harness. one to release the leash leaving just the 5th line attached to you and one to release the 5th line to ditch the kite.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1201
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:13 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Wake, surf, freeride
Gear: Slingshot RPM 14/12/10 Fuels 13/9/7
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot compstick users...

Postby TheJoe » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:31 am

Farmerr wrote:Not what I meant. I'll try again: sure rig that 5th but now imagine the 5th line running through the leash and attached to the harness... and imagine 2 releases at the harness. one to release the leash leaving just the 5th line attached to you and one to release the 5th line to ditch the kite.


I'm confused as from what your saying here is basically hook up two leashes to your safety.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: adamj2281, Bing [Bot] and 8 guests