All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Keeping your car clean
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Frequent Poster

I have a subaru sedan and a yakima cargo box big enough for my surfboard when i road trip. Can fit a TT and two or three kites bars pump harnesses. Kills my mileage for daily stuff so ill only pop it in for downwinders with friend. Otherwise i throw half my rear seat down and slide boards througb there. Packed kites whether dry or sandy get the empty seat. Squeeze enought water out of my wet shits they can be draped over boards in the trunk or laid on a mud tray i had for my muddy boots last winter that stays in the back all the time. Id rather have sand to vacuum up than moisture in the car. I used to keep a rechargeable shark vacuum in my car until it rolled so hard in my trunk on a turn it got damaged. It wont hold a charge for more than a min but was awesome for days i packed up a wet kite on the beach and just threw it in the trunk or on the seat. The vacuum took only a few seconds to get all the sand up usually.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I Really Like my Toyota Sienna !!!
I can load it with 4 people + gear & food , and if Millie is driving
we can still do 100mph ; keep it below 70, and i get 24mph !!!

Have any of you guys ever used one of These ?
I had borrowed one made from Aluminum for my Van ; was
big-time Bummed when the girl wanted it back. They add a LOT
of storage space, and since it rides in the back of the vehicle, it
hardly affects the gas mileage !!!
You need a trailer-hitch to make them work though

Bille

Attachments:
Carring box.jpg
Carring box.jpg [ 8.21 KIB | Viewed 908 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Why? Sand is Clean. But the only way to keep the new car sandless is never drive it to the beach. Note all the really cool people have beater vans and Suburbans for surf mobiles.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:51 am 
Frequent Poster

seems like we've drifted from "keeping car clean" to which car do you drive- i drive a prius , get 50 mpg combined, and finally get to leave 3-4 kites + 3 boards in while carpooling 2 extra ppl to work

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:09 am 
Frequent Poster

I notice my bumper is getting scratched from sliding sandy equipment in and out. Someone saw it and suggested i get a piece of carpet that is longer than my cargo area so it can drap over my bumper to protect it, then fold over my gear when my liftgate closes. I thought this was a great idea.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:04 am 
Frequent Poster

Best shower I ever figured out is this:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_112857-1306-190377_4294612644__?productId=4193785&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

Works really well for shower, cleaning sand off gear and can work from the back seat for getting that last bit of sand off the feet before you put your shoes on. Two gallons doesn't seem like much, but the spray nozzles are very efficient, and after liberal use cleaning everything and rinsing all the salt off me, I'm usually wondering why I didn't just bring it half full.

I use the plastic bin technique for wets, and a duffel bag for drys. The board I'll hose clean with the sprayer and dry with my towel. I have been meaning to get one of those changing parkas, but haven't done it yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:40 am 
Medium Poster

I don't need to clean my car 8)

Attachment:
20131003_161120.jpg
20131003_161120.jpg [ 2.43 MIB | Viewed 418 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:10 am 
Rare Poster

We don't have running water showers at our beaches here, so no post-session showers or rinses. What i do is land kite, roll lines and then walk back out into the water with my board and lines, and rinse off all..harness is still on. Then return to car, never putting the stuff down, whole carrying kite. This minimizes the sand you're carrying. All the wet bits go in a big plastic box/bin, which sits in the boot/trunk. But yet! Sand still finds her way in. I suffer it until i can stand no longer, and then it's the old vaccuuum session. Due to coastal humidity the stuff stics in all the hard to reach places. I've found that you don't want your doors standing open when you're kitting up in 25knots. That blowthrough for 10 mins is a gritty persuasion.

Gonna get me a brush though, seems obvious now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:55 am 
Medium Poster

Most estate cars/ wagons have rubberised boot liners you can either buy from the dealer or many custom made after market jobs off eBay etc. my Mazda 6 wagon has one and it's great for keeping the majority of sand contained.

I also use a Thule roofboxes if going away with family- keeps all the wet gear and sand completely out of the car.

Have to admit though, a cheap as chips beach "beater", would be the way to go...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:22 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Why, Why, OCD people, nothing better than clean sand, Take the beach with you, I do!

[ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next