All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Efficiency vs safety
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:07 pm 
Frequent Poster

Kiteboarding is an extreme sport. Many if not most days there is a topic on the front page of this forum about a death or serious injury from a kite accident.

I think efficiency discussions focussed on getting in the water two or four minutes faster are misguided.
If we want to talk about efficiency or speed lets talk about the back end & packing up.
Lots of good topics lately with posts on the gotchas that can arise and how to be prepared for them. Good reading for the many new to the sport.

Now how to pack up fast - i didnt invent this & i cant find the link from a couple years ago - it is fast fast fast!
Open deflate valve
Fold one wingtip over, about 1/3 past middle.
Fold second wingtip over same way(while its deflating)
Do it again on borh sides
Grab the trailing edge and start rolling towards leading edge
You will end up with a nice compact kite in about 30-45 seconds

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Efficiency vs safety
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:14 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

sweet! :mosh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:03 pm 
Medium Poster

My kites have crap quality deflation valves. The tabs break off, so you can't use them, have to deflate with inflation valve, which is very slow. (brand name withheld, but a known flaw, not just me!)

The problem: when rolling up kite, you roll up one end, then when you start on other end the leftover air unrolls the already rolled end. Kind of a like a Buster Keaton silent movie, going back and forth.

The solution: fold wing tips together, roll them together towards the middle....all the air is pushed out as you end up at the centre valve. Voila!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Neither of those methods will work on my 13m Fuel. The bladder is too big and it takes awhile to get the air out if. If I'm in a rush I don't bag my kite. I have a full size truck so that helps as I don't have to pack everything in special way to make it all fit.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:13 am 
Medium Poster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGWiFCx19k

Is this a video you are looking for? :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:56 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Found this works on smaller kites. With larger kites with some wind, you can get yourself in all sorts of folded trouble...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:09 am 
Frequent Poster

If your kite has plastic battens on the trailing edge I think they should end up on the outside.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:41 am 
Very Frequent Poster

knot_moving wrote:

I think efficiency discussions focussed on getting in the water two or four minutes faster are misguided.
If we want to talk about efficiency or speed lets talk about the back end & packing up.

You will end up with a nice compact kite in about 30-45 seconds

1- hit dump valve
2- line up kite on ground with the wind
3- un-clip the 5 struts
4- lines stay attached w/loose amount of lines in kite, bar/lines 2 feet in front of central LE on board
5- roll wingtips to center.....fold in 3...put bar lines on top of kite...ready for next time...bar is clean

Time : 1 min. 15 sec. for a XR3 19 and i did not spend any time disconnecting lines off the kite

Safety : perfect compact pack up every time for safest super fast launch next time out

Efficiency and safety..............no misguiding

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:57 am 
Frequent Poster

lamza wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAGWiFCx19k

Is this a video you are looking for? :)

Yes exactly - and I've used it on kites up to 17m in winds that I would kite with it in. You are right as the winds get stronger then its a bit trickier to hang onto it all, but I've always seemed to manage it.

I won't make any strong claims for it being better on the kite. I will observe that rolling in from the wingtips to the center puts some amount of shearing force on the one-pump valves. This method has the valves at the last part of the kite to be rolled/folded, so the loosest part of the packing and so no tearing or shear force on them.

SupaEz I am convinced that your approach is safe and works great for you - I can't assure myself that I will do things the same way 2 times in a row, so for me your way is not safe. The guy that introduced me to kiting also always keeps his lines attached and can't understand why anyone would do it different - I think he thinks I have some sort of defect cause I would not do it that way :).

For me this packing method saves me a bit of time and might even be easier on my valves

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:31 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

knot_moving wrote:
SupaEz.
I can't assure myself that I will do things the same way 2 times in a row, so for me your way is not safe.

So your are saying that if you did pack kites the same way all the time like i do...
.....you would then be safe

Then i agree to that

I pack and launch all my 6 kites the exact same way all the time on sand or on grass surfaces

Efficiency and safety.....for last 4 months........84 days/ sessions...and 2 more to go for this month

Thank you by the way for starting this thread...good topic

:cheers:

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next