All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: kook alert
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:15 am 
Frequent Poster

so how many times am i obligated to stop fools from being themselves?

on the beach, how many fools am i obligated to help push their stuck cars out of the deep sand?
after the 300th time, i think i may have done my civic duty and might be done with them.

you just can't fix stupid, no matter how much you want to,
although it tends to be a self limiting problem that would go faster if we removed warning labels….

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:25 am 
Medium Poster

Aaah idiots aye. Where would the world be without idiots :baby: He prolly still on his mums tit.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
plummet wrote:
So let me get this straight. A newbie that knew no better tried to rig and ride in gusty conditions while experienced kiters stood, watched and took photo's?

Then after he hammered himself the experience crew told him off for being inexperienced?

It seems the kooks are the experience guys who did not intervene soon enough to prevent a potential accident in the making.

I'm curious as to how you can tell someone is a potential accident in the making before they, what, set up? Launch?

Gotta be pretty hard job to tell someone to pack it in and come back another day cos they're a danger to themselves and others... especially with the sense of entitlement many have.

l:

Anyone with a board leash launch in 25+knots is a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

plummet wrote:
Anyone with a board leash launch in 25+knots is a good start.

Then, you'd be stopping every single person at our beach - except for me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

looks like there were more than a single opportunity to stop him by the looks of that north kite on the ground in one set of photos and then on the water in the next set...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

NYKiter wrote:
looks like there were more than a single opportunity to stop him by the looks of that north kite on the ground in one set of photos and then on the water in the next set...

I hear were you are coming from but advising someone not to ride and insisting are worlds apart.
I do think this was an eye opening event for the Masskite community. After seeing this I do think people will be more likely to speak out. And newbs will not want to be that guy.. That why its good to discuss it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:55 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Just heard a good related story on FB.

We had a guy like that at the beach once, wind was blowing 30mph , he was on the island for a few days and had seen us kiting so ordered a kite from Miami (12m) , he had no harness but was adamant that since he was a Navy fighter pilot he could handle himself, We even offered him a free lesson once the winds died down, but he would not listen. We solved the problem by me distracting him by talking to him while another kiter (instructor who now owns a kite school up north) slid a pin into his inflate valve. Problem solved, it took a few minutes for the kite to go soft and we explained that he had probably got the small hole from some sand in his bladder because he had no clue about what he was doing. Sometimes you just gotta do what needs to be done!! We did take him out and give him a lesson the next day and all ended well although we never told him about sabotaging his kite.

A pin prick beats a trip to the ER, time in rehab and/or lost access to kite at a great spot!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

All it takes is for a single person to get in newbies faces and sticking to them like glue and getting them at least into deeper water so they can fuck up without killing themselves. The launch site will eventually gain a reputation for not taking any crap. Its also good to begin a dialog and email newbies about the forecast and when it might be good to come back. All common sense...just depends on how far locals are willing go to preserve their access...attempts at embarrassing them on an internet forum might work...or it might not...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

what makes me wonder is that all these people will probably behave sensible in other walks of life

most of them are grow up adults, guess with a family, a job and all that comes with that

strange things this sport can do

i´m myself in that pack, as do things i should not. guess just with a much higher level of control

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Its called locus of control. Those with a high level of LOC tend to blame others for their mistakes.
Some of the older windsurfing transplants can be quite challenging..its like herding cats...

[ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next