All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: The best way to get to the colapsed kite at the water
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:53 pm 
Rare Poster

Hello Kiters,

The other day I was kiting with my 9 meters in 25 - 30 knots, and the bridle of the middle line broke.

The kite went down, and the line that came down was all wraped in my body. Not very nice.

I released, and the kite was pulling a lot still. I was afraid that the release line could break, and the kite was going to pull me by the line wraped in my body. I really miss the old OH SHIT RELEASE.

So, I was siting on my waveboard, climbing one line to get to the krazy kite, that was banging in the water. That was not easy task. It was a big relief when I put my hands on the kite. Those procedures are very simple in light / moderate winds, but in strong winds are hard!

The question is: Is it better to climb a middle line, or a rear line, to get to the kite? Would you roll you lines while going to the kite?

Cheers

Andre, Buzios, Brazil

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: The best way to get to the colapsed kite at the water
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

don´t know if the better method but what i do is to first roll within the bar 2 or 3 meters of 1 center line & then roll up all remaining

the rational is to have tension in just 1 center line & never swim within loose lines

guess the same with a back line would work, but think the kite will have a higher tendency to loop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:54 pm 
Rare Poster

Tiago1973 wrote:
don´t know if the better method but what i do is to first roll within the bar 2 or 3 meters of 1 center line & then roll up all remaining

To get to one center line, you have to get to the split of the center line, that is a few meters up... By that, you would get a lot of slack at the rear lines.... They could wrap around you.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Depends on your kite as different kites behave differently. Some behave better with a front line safety and some are better with rear line.

Usually the way the manufacturers sets up the safety is the best bet

But in high wind you will have the same problem with any kite be it front, rear, oh shit or 5th line safety.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

always use a center line if you can. I've snapped plenty of bridles and found that rear lines tend to spin in one direction so the lines are a mess when you get back to shore. But don't be picky choose one and haul it in more important to disable the kite than pick the right line. I haul like crazy to get 10 meters of line in that's how much you need to disable the kite. Once I get there, I take my time and start wrapping the bar. Remember if you are wrapped in the lines (depending on which lines are wrapped on you) an oh shit release or quick release will probably not do anything you have to haul in line or use a knife good thinking bro glad you're safe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:27 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Avoid loose lines at all costs. Before you even get tangled up in them if your endanger of getting wrapped up in them just release the kite. The best way is the safest way and that will depend on conditions and kite.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:23 am 
Frequent Poster

hey,

if you attach your board to your bar this will give some direction to your lines, staying up wind you can make you way up the line of your choice....one center one back line of the same side has worked for me....

down side? in a gust you can lose the whole works....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:51 am 
Frequent Poster

Not a great idea, your board could act like a sea anchor and give the kite enough line tension to take off, and a kite looping with a board attached would be a hazard to others.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:02 pm 
Rare Poster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WObuen9 ... r_embedded

[ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next