All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Peter Lynn: Swell Predicted
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:26 pm 
Medium Poster

TheJoe wrote:
Honestly thought this was going to be a "PumpMeUp" thread about how superior LEI's are and thats why PL made this kite.

Naaaa Pumpmeup only concentrate on Flysurfer… funny that don't you think?? :jump:

Been riding the Swell 7m 6m and 9m mostly. Had one session on the 5m. The 5 is designed as nuking wind kite. Was in cape Town south Easter blasting and never felt uncomfortable.
The 7m and 9m really do have good useable ranges, surprising in the low end. Monkey Air, I think you gonna love the grunt on them.

Here is a link to a blog I wrote on the photoshoot that took place in South Africa recently…

http://www.cannonrocks.com/blog/shooting-the-swell/

I really do suggest you try it. Peter Lynn may not have reinvented the wheel, but I think they have a pretty awesome 3 strut kite that performs really well in waves has great pop for freestyle and loops pretty sweetly too. Try it and let me know what you think.

Ced

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice Blog Ced.
Thanks for that. Does not look like you had any twelve meter sort of conditions. Thirty knots plus on shoot day.....wow.... Absolutely can relate to trying to get all the variables in place to shoot wave sailing footage. Good job on that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:40 am 
Medium Poster

Check review on IKsurfmag:
http://www.iksurfmag.com/issue43/?page=123

Although I feel that the free ride aspect of the kite is downplayed a bit… Been doing a fair amount of twin tiping as my main surfboard decided to die, and this kite is fun!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Was able to get out on the 12 m swell yesterday in very light winds that slowly built. Starting in the 8 to 15mph averaging 13mph range and later 13 to 24mph range. The kite provides surprising grunt for size and pivot turns very well. It's tough to go down the line wavesailing in light winds. The looping ability of this larger sized and powerful kite was a huge help. You have to really work to make it stall. Most riders don't try to wavesail in the lower part of the wind spectrum. This kite is a score for us heavy guys or lighter guys as they can just use a smaller size and expect grunt of bit larger kite but turning of same size. The 12 m swell does everything quite well.
I was using a long throw bar similar to the PL bar and dramatic sheeting out did not affect the kites stability or cause any overflying type of character. Kite likes to sit a bit more forward in the window than expected with its lower aspect ratio. WIsh I had a nine and seven m as well. Would think the seven would be that great heavy guy high wind kite that would still get us through the lulls on our strapless surfboards while able to handle the huge gusts. The guys in the Africa tests above seem to speak to that.

At our local beach, many riders have been at it a long time and are on their own team rider brand. I was surprised to get so many positive comments on this kite after they watched it perform. It is clearly a good wave kite with the addition of a bit of grunt. Now how can I get those other sizes without compromising juniors kindergarden costs? Need to get a seventh job.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 pm 
Frequent Poster

Some of my best kiting years where on my venom 19m bought a 19m charger and had the power of a 15 m. The old venoms went up wind like nothing else to date. Too bad they no longer try to improve on them. Auto zenith of the old s arc and upwind like the venom maybe higher aspect a bit for more hang time. Like you said the kites lasted forever. I gave mine away in perfect condition after years of use. Miss them like an old girlfriend.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yep, the twin skins are fantastic kites. I had the opportunity to test the new charger two and it is in my opinion the best twin skin they have made. It has the stability of the old arc, good upwind, good turning and pop plus decent depower for the design with usual built in arc gust absorption. I just did all possible mods to a friends old Charger one but have not had a chance to test it. Think the twin skins would do well to the masses as a power source for SUP kiting as they just hang up above you in super light winds and allow hands free to deal with the board, etc. Very cool that PL still has good tube kites to go with the twin skins. Had the times of my life under twin skins. The new generation of kiters learned on tubes and pushing them through a bit different bar feel of a twin skin outside of them being snow kiters or land boarders already, makes transition impressions temporarily not as stellar as they should be. I still love the kites especially if you live in a windier area. If you are a tube kiter, the new Swell is a good one and deserves to be tested. For the record, I do sell RRD, OR and many other kites as well as testing as many brands as possible. Do my best to call it as I see it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

We got a very light corner of a clearing wind with a bit of surf yesterday. The winds were so light initially that I was the only guy out for two hours on the 12 m Swell. Very good light wind performance with standard attachment settings. Easily looped and generating grunt and apparent wind with good depower when the wind finally started coming on. Drift was good in the surf, especially as wind moved from the 8 to 15mph averaging about 11mph to the 13 to 22mph range later on. The kite was stable with good bar feel. Small changes in depower adjustments made a significant effect to grunt and depower. Predictable response in gusts and through power generation. Pleasantly surprised with bottom end and good upwind on this lower aspect kite. My last session on it was not a fluke after all. It has good grunt. Board was the usual five foot ten wide tailed and keel fined old school fish surfboard strapless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 am 
Medium Poster

Swell getting great reviews… Check it out
http://peterlynn.com/well-received-swell/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:34 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I would have to agree with the reviewers Ced. I am really digging the 12 m.. Been getting great power and turning even on the middle setting and have been forcing myself to keep off of the trailing edge knot (as I tend to do with most other kites being tested) to improve turning. There is good drift and de power wit;h the softer setting while still providing good bar feedback even in this arge size. SOOOOO often a wave kites small sizes rock and the large one is a dog. Not this time!!! Big dudes rejoice! Very good all around wave and fun kite. Now I have to find a way to get the 7 and nine meter to use down at a certain Mexican point breaks perfect side off conditions. If a couple of kites show up at my door my family will probably have me hanging from a single line kite, but with the line tied around my neck... Gotta figure a way... Been a while since Johnsen for a quiver of kites this badly. Great work on the swell wave kite PL!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:41 am 
Medium Poster

MonkeyAir wrote:
I would have to agree with the reviewers Ced. I am really digging the 12 m.. Been getting great power and turning even on the middle setting and have been forcing myself to keep off of the trailing edge knot (as I tend to do with most other kites being tested) to improve turning. There is good drift and de power wit;h the softer setting while still providing good bar feedback even in this arge size. SOOOOO often a wave kites small sizes rock and the large one is a dog. Not this time!!! Big dudes rejoice! Very good all around wave and fun kite. Now I have to find a way to get the 7 and nine meter to use down at a certain Mexican point breaks perfect side off conditions. If a couple of kites show up at my door my family will probably have me hanging from a single line kite, but with the line tied around my neck... Gotta figure a way... Been a while since Johnsen for a quiver of kites this badly. Great work on the swell wave kite PL!

The 7m is the absolute bomb!! (for me at 70kg)

[ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next