All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 4 line or 5th line
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:26 am 
Very Frequent Poster

i reckon pivotal turn from 5th is when kite leading edge does not bend as it crosses power zone because 5th line is stopping canopy deforming so much.

i would trust nothing but 5th line - no bridles /pullies / fully flagging full length single line (welll kite span at least..) in super high winds

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

if you plan to ride big kites, the 5th line is great for relaunch.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You can trim the five line kite to your liking much better than bridled kite. I have mine chocked back at the verge of back stalling so the kite practically stops when I pull the bar in but it doesn't back stall. Great for max pop and slack for kite loops, new school, old school, onshore wave. The only good thing about four lines is just that, one less line, but that is all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 pm 
Rare Poster

4 line what else ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXj9nlCrOP8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:54 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You know what I've been on 5line Rebels and Dyno's for years and now moved back to 4 lines.

I can't feel the big difference, I can tell you the kite on the other end of the lines makes a big difference!

5 lines pain in the ass if the kite flips around the 5th. I could see the kite ripping in half if waves are involve and you don't eject and let the kite work its way through the wave with out you holding it back.

5th line is amazing for light wind re-launch and solo landing.

fly it like it? buy it...... 4or5 its all good

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:24 pm 
Medium Poster

4 or 5 lines, they both work. The SS single frontline safety works like a charm, most of the time, as does the 5 line safety from North. Just don't fumble with the stopper balls and you will be fine.

However, the argument that 5th line will cut through a kite in waves is not a valid point, as any kite will be cut to pieces by the lines if you are unlucky. Had that exact scenario with my first RPM being eaten by the waves.

Since I kite I had a torn frontline twice. Once on the RPM and once on the Rebel. On the Rebel: No problem, pulled the safety, that was it. On the RPM I got lucky as hell, because it was not the safety line being ripped. Otherwise the kite would have been gone over the big blue ocean ;) And the "oh-shit-handels" don't qualify as solution for a torn front line safety, simply because try to use them in high winds, you won't try it again...

There is only one reason why the 5th line might be annoying: You have to attach ONE MORE LINE. I hate that so much my blood starts to boil and I don't have to do a warm up afterwards ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are very few kites that behave well using 4 lines one excample is ozone that I know of the designer has to really know their bridles which brings me to ageneral wondering how do they do it. I bet you they start with five lines to create a bridle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:17 pm 
Frequent Poster

I fly all my c kites on 4 lines no problem. No bridles either. Never wanted a line that can possibility to get wrapped around the kite.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Yet to fly a 4 line C kite that has the feel of a 5 line kite, 5 lines turn better, more stable in the air and generally have a more direct feel :thumb:

5 lines for me :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:37 am 
Frequent Poster

ya so anyways .... (i should have know better, realizing this was going to be a can of worms). obviously no c kites require 5th lines, so that guys out. and tiny, subjective, probably inaccurate performance discrepancies aside:

are there currently any kites besides the rebel that REQUIRE a 5th line to fly? i dont think so, but i im not sure thats why im asking.

[ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next