All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Where to get line sleeving in bulk?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:50 am 
Medium Poster

Johnny,
Congrats, beautiful sewing job on that sleeving, that takes practice, I know.
Any you even found it in red. You are right, that's way cheaper than China.

Did you make a jig to sew the sleeving straight?

Here's a pic of my jig for sewing sleeves. Just a piece of thick plastic I found with a slot cut out the right thickness. I took the picture of it with some of that Chinese sleeving I have around. Confession: even with the jig, it's not easy to get neat, straight sewing on line sleeves.

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_16 Dec. 14 20.45.jpg
ScreenHunter_16 Dec. 14 20.45.jpg [ 52.46 KIB | Viewed 415 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:39 am 
Frequent Poster

Parachord also comes in blue, grey and black. :)
Finding the paracord made my day today.

I cut my jig from a cereal box, I put the rough side down so it feeds more consistently. I tape the line to the jig at the top and bottom under a little tension to keep it straight........But same idea as you are using just make sure your feeder isn't slipping on the plastic... I can keep it straight pretty easily but my machine jams up randomly whilst pounding multiple holes in the same spot shredding the line a little. This is stressful when putting the second sleeve on at the finalized length when I can't just cut off the shredded bit and restart.

I've tested a few of my lines to failure where I did a REALLY bad job (and wasn't willing to use em) and they still didn't fail in the stitching or at the shredded bit, However don't wanna push it.

Now that I've got some cheap sheathing I can practice a lot more on loose bits of line and try to diagnose what's going on with the sewing machine prior to sewing in the second line.

I bought all colours of powerline pro
So far I've made a bunch of extensions and restrung 3 bars that were otherwise trash and have 2 more to go. (one I made from scratch using a few switch parts) $500 bucks for a bar and line set that I get 1 year out of is a little steep for my budget. They've pushed it well passed my tipping point.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Does anybody add the little tags, so you can easily un-lark's head the lines? What do you make them out of?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:16 am 
Medium Poster

Kami-k : either narrow polyester ribbon from a fabric store or a bit of flat shoe lace will do the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Ta. The only stuff I've been able to find at our crap hardware or sewing stores here, is stuff that looks like it'd make nice hair ribbons :( no para-cord either...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:13 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Impressive sewing, of course you like the best line, Q-line. What I would use for sleeving is that Crappy deleema lines you replaced.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Kamikuza wrote:
Does anybody add the little tags, so you can easily un-lark's head the lines? What do you make them out of?

i make plusic loops (out of kite line) that attach to the q line. Q larksheads are hard to open. Q also stretches unevenly and the loops can be made in different sizes to correct this. I usae and old guitar string as a fid--someone mentioned a fid.

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2