All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Minimum water temp. How low do you go?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:21 am 
Frequent Poster

Laughingman wrote:
We were out last weekend the water temps of 44'F with air temps of 46'F in 25 knot winds. I wore a 4/3 switch wetsuit, 5mm OR boots, 3mm OR gloves and a 3mm OR hood.
The wind chill as it was made it hard to breath so we did short runs of 45 mins but I never really felt cold just found it hard to breathe and my exposed face was stingy...(wind chill sucks).
Provo in 5 days...
We also had 12-14" dump of snow last night, so that's fun....

snip...

Shifting to snowboarding myself, getting all the gear ready for a Thanksgiving trip with my son. Too windy and cold this morning to be safe with my smallest kite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:54 am 
Frequent Poster

KYLakeKiter wrote:
edt wrote:
32f water, air down to about 25f, below that every time you crash the water instantly freezes on you and it's like you're wearing a suit of ice. 4/3 wetsuit, but I add a wool/poly liner.

That sounds pretty hard core to me. Do you have a board that lets you slide right out of the water and on to the ice? Just for those transition days :lol:

I am impressed by your heartiness up there in Michigan and Canada, but I am not sure if getting more gear to kite in lower temperatures is worth it to me. Seems that at some point it is less fun and more survival. I'm still impressed :thumb:

I would think a good 6/4 wetsuit, 5mm boots and a hood or beenie would do the trick down in Tenn. You guys must get plenty of mild days in the winter. But you have to dress for the water not the air. Swimming for 45 minutes in 40 degree water can kill you quick if not prepared.

If I spend say 400$ on winter wear and I sneak in 5, 7, maybe 10 days in first season and gear last maybe another 5 seasons. IMO well worth it.

Last edited by matth on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:44 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Location: Madison, Wi. Cabrinha, Slingshot, Blade, Axis, Mystic, NP Surf.
37f air, 37f water is coldest I've been in and in big waves on Lake Michigan this Spring. Biggest hurdle is finding the right gloves that still have feel and flexibility and warmth. I tend to go light on the gloves (Mystic Dry Gloves = 2mm) so the forearms don't explode after an hour of riding, but they are not as warm overall.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:36 am 
Frequent Poster

I guess I really need to work on lowering my minimum. Winds are much better here in the winter, and winter pool on the lake being 6ft lower, provides land and shallow water that are not there in the spring and summer.

People here seriously thought we were crazy for being in the water yesterday, so I might be put in the luney bin by the local authorities if I go any colder. :lol:

Maybe I will just print a copy of this post to let everyone here know that this ain't nothin. Very fun to hear how dedicated you all are up North. :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:13 am 
Very Frequent Poster

KYLakeKiter wrote:
I guess I really need to work on lowering my minimum. Winds are much better here in the winter, and winter pool on the lake being 6ft lower, provides land and shallow water that are not there in the spring and summer.

People here seriously thought we were crazy for being in the water yesterday, so I might be put in the luney bin by the local authorities if I go any colder. :lol:

Maybe I will just print a copy of this post to let everyone here know that this ain't nothin. Very fun to hear how dedicated you all are up North. :thumb:

There are guys up here that have kited every month of the year in the Great Lakes. I've done 10 months which is pretty standard on a warmer year. This year I think I've got 8 months.
The key is accepting and mitigating the danger. Stay close to shore, have a place to get warm quick...etc...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 am 
Frequent Poster

These pictures were taken today on Cape Cod. Not me.
26 degrees f, Crazy..

Wednesday should be in the 50s, thats more my speed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yb1/110340 ... otostream/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:58 am 
Very Frequent Poster

^^that's too hardcore!
In VA I skipped that front, and it's 10 deg warmer down here!
In a 4/3 + shoes, hat, gloves, I'll do water high 40s if air is the same or higher, not for much over an hour though.
Have done 40/40 in a 6/4 wetsuit but that's not even easy to walk in much less swim.
you can just stand or float there relatively comfortably for several hours though...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:35 am 
Rare Poster

KYLakeKiter wrote:
I guess I really need to work on lowering my minimum.

There is always way to improve :D
I personaly opened this year season with some ice in the middle of the lake. So water was +4C (~40F) and air ~8C (46F)
With 5/4/3 NPX+hood+gloves+3mm boots and a jacket on top of wetsute.

See some pics from Siberian guys.
http://omskiteboarding.ru/news/1/2010-11-19-166 Water -0.3C (31.46F) :o air -2C (28F)
http://omskiteboarding.ru/news/1/2008-11-07-83 - Water 0C(32F) air +2C(35F)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 am 
Very Frequent Poster

edt wrote:
32f water, air down to about 25f, below that every time you crash the water instantly freezes on you and it's like you're wearing a suit of ice. 4/3 wetsuit, but I add a wool/poly liner.

32f , & your wearing a 4/3 ?? !! :o

Now i Know i'm a Wimp, with my 5/4 at Mohave, and a water
temp in the 50's !!! :(

plummet wrote:

Do you also use a hoodie? hoodies make a big difference also.

This part Sucks ; don't like hoods and don't wear them in 20 years
of surfing and 8 years of kiting, but my
doctor told me my ears are starting to close, ( the bone in the ear-canal ),
so i gotta start using a hood !!

The feet Never get cold though ; don't need booties.

Bille

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

I will probably make Kiteforums stupidest questions for asking this, but here goes. My wetsuit is an Oneill 2 piece set with a 3mm farmer john and a 3mm shorty. Is that going to be as warm as a solid 6/3, or am I loosing anything with the two 3mm layers?

[ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next