All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Whip or Wam 2013
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:22 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi

North Whip or Wam 2013? Upwind has to be very good! I ride hooked and strapped. Waves are rarely bigger than 6 feet (2 meters). I ride pretty fast and like to destroy them pretty waves. And not surf them very much seeing that they often are to small "surf" anyways

I am about 87 kg / 190 lbs. And 187 cm / 6'2. Ride side shore / cross on-shore mostly small-ish waves in 20-40 knots

Tx!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Whip or Wam 2013
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Medium Poster

Whip better in smaller waves, wide point further forward so a bit slashier but bouncier. Wham better in larger waves, more narrow, and wider arc smoother turning. Well, that's what I found anyway. I went for whip as it's great on less than perfect waves.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:07 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think you should go for the Whip :thumb:

8) Peter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think you will like it - better upwind, better in low wind, has a VERY good snappy cutback.

:thumb: Peter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 am 
Medium Poster

Thanks guys. I will look at the 5'8 Whip then. Dont you think that is the right size for me? They come in 5'4 5'6 and 5'8

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yep I ride the 2012 5'6" Whip. I'm 5'8" 75kg. I got that size to take air and still have some control of the board. At times I wish I got the bigger size for the lulls but I appreciate the smaller size when the windzup and I'm in the air a lot. I think 5'8" will be great for you...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:34 am 
Medium Poster

I got used to my north kontact 6.1 (I am 75 kg), strapless. Small waves to no wave at all, flat to very choppy conditions. Tried a whip 5.6 or 5.8 not sure recently, strapless, was totally unable to make a nice turn ... I think taht was 2014 version, it was a thruster. Fins felt more flexible than on my kontact, it all felt far too slipery. Tried a wham few month ago, 5.10 felt ok on it, 5.8 felt ok but way to short.

My point is, if are riding strapped (which to me means fast & agressive turns), then I do not see any good reason you should use a whip (which to me means slow strapless freestyle). I would advise a shape more like the kontact and something like 6.2 for your size. And if you're choice is between wham & whip only, then it's wham anytime, the longest one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:29 pm 
Medium Poster

romkite wrote:
I got used to my north kontact 6.1 (I am 75 kg), strapless. Small waves to no wave at all, flat to very choppy conditions. Tried a whip 5.6 or 5.8 not sure recently, strapless, was totally unable to make a nice turn ... I think taht was 2014 version, it was a thruster. Fins felt more flexible than on my kontact, it all felt far too slipery. Tried a wham few month ago, 5.10 felt ok on it, 5.8 felt ok but way to short.

My point is, if are riding strapped (which to me means fast & agressive turns), then I do not see any good reason you should use a whip (which to me means slow strapless freestyle). I would advise a shape more like the kontact and something like 6.2 for your size. And if you're choice is between wham & whip only, then it's wham anytime, the longest one.

Whip is slipery. That's the point. Sliding on crests, slashy, quick or drawn out turns, does'nt bog in lulls or crap waves. Kontact is more a straight line blasting board in small waves with longer drawn out carves. The board will grip more as all narrow boards do, which is why it's suited to big waves. It's not the fins, it's the width. Ride what suits you, no fixed rules about that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:33 am 
Medium Poster

I really like a lot of hold in my bottum turn. When im leaning in and the tail slips out i get frustrated (technic i know) So actually now im more into the Wam 6.0 :jump: Not sure yet but i will let you know what happens. To bad i cant test them back to back :roll:

Many thanks for your input

[ 9 posts ]