All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Orientation bacpac for kite or strut mount GoPros
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Good work, that's got real potential eh! :thumb: my credit card is standing by :naughty:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:10 pm 
Medium Poster

Wow, that is really impressive, can't wait to see how you develop this. I too am waiting with my credit card in hand :-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

BTW have you used the footage with something like vReveal, that does auto-stabilization and zoom to remote black edges? Any improvement?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:45 pm 
Frequent Poster

Seems like vReveal is gone:

http://www.vreveal.com/

About a year ago I tried some horizon detection algorithms and when a clear horizon was visible they worked great, but failed drastically when it was not visible. I might revisit some of the image based techniques in combo with IMU. This might help provide a initial point of search for the image based techniques.

Using the IMU I noticed on my footage that kite mounted corrections had some problem when the kite was accelerating quickly, but string mounted seems better as much lower accelerations. So was testing methods to fix this issue over the weekend with two IMUs mounted on a windsurfing mast. One near the center of rotation and the other near the end of the mast as a swung it around.

As far as selling this goes, I would probably have to find a lower cost sensor as the one i am using now is ~ 400$. There are some around 100$ but have no idea how good they are. It will probably come down soon with all the wearable tech etc. The IMU chips alone are cheap but it is a lot of work to go from a chip to a fully calibrated sensor with data fusion algorithms that produces the output I need. I don't want to repeat that. Also the matlab environment I am doing the software in isn't ideal for sharing except with those who have licences. But I will try to find so some workaroundsfor these issues in the future.

What would people be willing to pay for some thing like this?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I think a plug and play fully streamlined and professionally manufactured solution would easily sell for $125 ... like for example if this was an actual gopro backpak you could buy off their site...

I smell a kickstarter campaign here....

This technology could be used for more sports then just kiteboarding. You could be onto something here which may end up being integrated in all pov cameras one day....

What is your background?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:36 pm 
Frequent Poster

Very nice job there! And based on where I live, your definition of light wind and small waves is incorrect. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:02 am 
Very Frequent Poster

ptraykovski wrote:
Seems like vReveal is gone:

http://www.vreveal.com/

Shit! I bought a lifetime license to that - I better update the software while I can... pay, won't be doing that again... where the torrents at?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:05 am 
Very Frequent Poster

ptraykovski wrote:
About a year ago I tried some horizon detection algorithms and when a clear horizon was visible they worked great, but failed drastically when it was not visible. I might revisit some of the image based techniques in combo with IMU. This might help provide a initial point of search for the image based techniques.

Using the IMU I noticed on my footage that kite mounted corrections had some problem when the kite was accelerating quickly, but string mounted seems better as much lower accelerations. So was testing methods to fix this issue over the weekend with two IMUs mounted on a windsurfing mast. One near the center of rotation and the other near the end of the mast as a swung it around.

As far as selling this goes, I would probably have to find a lower cost sensor as the one i am using now is ~ 400$. There are some around 100$ but have no idea how good they are. It will probably come down soon with all the wearable tech etc. The IMU chips alone are cheap but it is a lot of work to go from a chip to a fully calibrated sensor with data fusion algorithms that produces the output I need. I don't want to repeat that. Also the matlab environment I am doing the software in isn't ideal for sharing except with those who have licences. But I will try to find so some workaroundsfor these issues in the future.

What would people be willing to pay for some thing like this?

Yours is still a vast improvement over no sensor and having to do it by hand! I've done that before too... it sucks.

If the end product was totally perfect, software and all - NO fucking smartphone apps! - I'd pay as much again as the camera... Output as it is now, easy $125 as said above...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:23 am 
Frequent Poster

If I can't figure out a way to make this a product I will at least figure out a way to share in some sort of way.

There are both some hardware and software issues. I just got a lower cost IMU but it won't stream data on power up so that is an issue.

There is another one that might work, but it doesn't support the data rate I need so would have to reconfigure their firmware.

and I need to either figure out how to compile my matlab code into a sharable format, which is possible but not trivial or rewrite into some other language..i'm not really a programmer or a EE so this goes a bit slow, and it is a nights and weekend project.

I did a string mount yesterday and it works a bit better than kitemount. The big accelerations on the kite mess up the data fusion algorithm a bit. The gyros get corrected to a false vertical too quickly. On the strings there is less acceleration and just rotation. I tested that by putting two IMUs on windsurfing mast and they give different values under pure rotation vs combined rotation and acceleration so will have to work on that.

Will post the string-mount as soon as youtube finishes processing . I'm pretty happy with how that worked. A little bit shaky as that location always bounces a bit, but horizon is rarely more than 20 deg off.

Best thing all I had to do was chop out the good sections... took me about 20 minutes to do this one...and then my slow software churned on the corrections for about 8 hours..while I slept. Doing the rotations my hand would been at least 3 hours+.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM0D9CsJHV4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:37 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice! Totally watchable, just like that...

[ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next