Surfboard for bigger waves

forum for kitesurfers

johan185
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: c street, ventura, california
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach maui, cabarete, la ventana
Style: wave riding
Gear: 2010 19m speed 3, caution answer II 2007 9m & 12m, spleene DOOR 164, Underground flx 138cm, slingshot 6'2" thruster, 6'2" custom strapless quad, peter lynn synergy 19m & 12m 20009
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Surfboard for bigger waves

Postby johan185 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Give the slingshot 6'2 Tyrant Pro model a try. Always Demo before you buy. I like It in shoulder to double over head. Hold the bottom turn and still lets you smack the lip. Horses for courses but any narrow gun will work in a good swell with the right wind. M2C

peterheirman
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 8
Local Beach: 2002

Postby peterheirman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:59 pm

RRD Maquina

windyway
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: .......

Postby windyway » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:47 am

Best ride for real waves is always a real surfboard.

Here is my 5-8 firewire alternator.
FAR-508B-03 5' 8" x 18 1/2" x 2 1/4" 24.7 liters
Standard surfboard construction with NSI stick on padz

Don't really get to ride much over 12 feet,
but it is near perfection on the wave.
Attachments
Firewire Alternator 5-8.JPG
Firewire Alternator 5-8.JPG (91.02 KiB) Viewed 477 times

tr3v
Medium Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:49 am

Anyone used the Naish Gun? I have been looking for something for large waves, often quite choppy. I currently have a Naish Global (love that board!) for the cleaner big waves, and a surfboard (no straps) for the small and messy stuff. After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it matters too much as long as I get something narrower with a pin-tail.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby tautologies » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:44 am

tr3v wrote:Anyone used the Naish Gun? I have been looking for something for large waves, often quite choppy. I currently have a Naish Global (love that board!) for the cleaner big waves, and a surfboard (no straps) for the small and messy stuff. After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like it matters too much as long as I get something narrower with a pin-tail.

Not sure what you mean with matters too much...but here is my take on it.

Wave size and speed is highly correlated. When board are wide, they flatten out and you lose control. If the board are super short they get squirly..I mean these are generalizations and other factors impact as well, but the thin pin tails help you dig in. They are not great for going super well upwind or light wind..but for control at high speeds they excel beyond anything else.

I've never kited a smooth large wave...they are ultra choppy even when looking fairly smooth from afar.

The Naish gun cuts through chop like nothing else and will give you control while not being squirmy even at high speeds.

I have one. I have only used the 2012, but only a few times. Bonus..carbon...looks killer.

tr3v
Medium Poster
Gear: BWS, CSA Surfboards, Sirocco

Postby tr3v » Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:34 pm

tautologies wrote:Not sure what you mean with matters too much...but here is my take on it.

I meant that brands/construction won't matter too much as it is all to do with the shape which you have explained nicely thanks. Kiting gives access to waves far bigger than I have ever surfed so I have never ridden a gun. Sounds like I need too!

lbatbeach
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002

Postby lbatbeach » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:10 pm

I agree that you don't want wide or short and I will also add that you don't want real light either. A few years ago I picked up a 2010 North Kontact 5'10. I am also 5'10 and 165lbs and this board works very well for me in large surf. Stable, plenty of drive, and very quick rail to rail due to its gunny outline. North claims this board was designed for solid ground swell surf and I have to agree. I feel very in control on this board when its big and windy.

Return to “Kitesurfing”