All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiting Tanjung Bungah (Penang island)??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:30 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Folks best time of year for those light winds (jun-aug right)....?? and is it possible around there. We have an opportunity to stay there in a friends house. Any kiteschools I could contact? Probably not right, too light to bother?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiting Tanjung Bungah (Penang island)??
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:35 pm 
Medium Poster

I spend there 3 month in jan-april few years ago. Best place to go kitesurfing was: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=penang&hl=en&ll=5.462145,100.218924&spn=0.001461,0.002065&sll=28.149503,-49.306641&sspn=41.686661,67.675781&hnear=Penang,+Malaysia&t=h&z=19
But there was no wind in weekends, and I didn't have time on weekdays.

But it's easy to take train from Butterworth and go to Hua Hin.

South of Penang is mud, east is mud + dirty, north is sand (or rock), mostly clean. About west I don't know.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:38 am 
Rare Poster

Best wind direction is from the NW. You will get this thermal wind when the mainland heats up in the afternoon. It's still light 8-10knts. April- Aug but it's not everyday that you get them.
The indicated location is no longer accessible after being fenced of for developement.
There are 2 more locations on the mainland where I kite -
1.Bagan Dalam R&R , it's a reststop which can get pretty crowded during the evening from beach users. Good with NW (onshore) and S.
2. Kuala Muda River mouth at the Penang side of the stateline( 1 hr drive from Penang).Good with NW.

I kite with 17M,racebrd and door over here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:59 pm 
Medium Poster

FWIW, I spent 9 months working in Penang near Tanjung Bungah back in the 90s when I was into windsurfing. Can't remember any wind to speak of. During that stay, I rented a hobie cat once, and it was pathetic, almost didn't get back to the rental spot.

Yes, lots of brown water. River run-off from the main land. And probably some industrial/city runoff in the mix as well.

Two things complicate Penang for getting easterly trades. It is on the west side of the penninsula of Malaysia which simply blocks what little easterly flow there might be, and Penang is quite close to the equator at 5 degrees. The closer you are to the equator, less trades. Seabreeze is probably your only chance of kiting.

Good hiking in Penang. Take a day trip up to Langkawi and rent a scooter to tour that island. Take a trip up to Southern Thailand and experience a stay on one of these:
Attachment:
wow-phi-phi-island-vacation-that-refreshes.jpg
wow-phi-phi-island-vacation-that-refreshes.jpg [ 275.07 KIB | Viewed 180 times ]

[ 4 posts ]