All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Important tool in predicting winds in South Florida and
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:50 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I had to read that wikipedia article on trade winds because I've never heard of that term being used here. Everything I've seen since I've been kiting in south fl could be sourced to either thermal or frontal action

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I don't know to me it looks like if you get NE in South Florida the chances are it is a Trade Wind.
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cfjps/1400/FIG07_006.jpg
But who cares just look what happens to Trade Wind in Cuba in the next two days when Jet Stream goes back up. It's magic. Cubalibre.
http://www.intellicast.com/National/Wind/WINDcast.aspx?region=eyw

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:59 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
I don't know to me it looks like if you get NE in South Florida the chances are it is a Trade Wind.
But who cares just look what happens to Trade Wind in Cuba in the next two days when Jet Stream goes back up. It's magic.

Tambien es possible que sea el systema de Alta Pression que esta saliendo de la costa de Norte Carolina en los proximos dias. Se parece como un "circulo" en los mapas siguentes.........

http://wxmaps.org/pix/avnmr.slp.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:19 pm 
Medium Poster

If you haven't already seen Bille's post with a cool new global wind map, it shows the cell flows for the trades, both north and south of the equator. Snapshot below. Florida kinda out of the trade wind flow. That wind map is really instructive.

http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2383115&p=821909

Attachment:
ScreenHunter_04 Dec. 18 08.12.jpg
ScreenHunter_04 Dec. 18 08.12.jpg [ 76.14 KIB | Viewed 270 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:42 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

BigR wrote:
Tambien es possible que sea el systema de Alta Pression que esta saliendo de la costa de Norte Carolina en los proximos dias. Se parece como un "circulo" en los mapas siguentes.....

Absolutely, but the high pressure over the Carolinas is only responsible for speeding up the Trade Wind in Cuba and the catch is to keep the high pressure far. But when the Jet Stream dips South and allows the high pressure get too close, first it will speed up the Trade but later it will shut it down for 3 days.
Normally in Cuba you need 12-13m kite in the morning and 9-10m for the afternoon but if you travel during the week when Jet Stream is about to dip better bring 7m and biggest you got for later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

southflorida wrote:
Florida kinda out of the trade wind flow. That wind map is really instructive.

The Trade Wind in Cuba is weaker than Venezuela but it is still a Trade Wind and thank God it is weaker because Margarita is great for windsurfing but not so much for kiting. That map you posted also shows how the Westerlies are peeling the Trade Winds off from Bahamas. So again if the Jet Stream is flat Trade Winds in Cuba stay kosher but when it dips the Westerlies will turn them away.
I still think that those weak NE winds in Florida are Trade Winds just weak.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Um, we learned this in grade school, maybe I am old and they just do not teach this anymore.
The TROPIC of CANCER delineates the Northernmost latitude where the trade winds go to.
The trade winds are a Product of the so-called Bermuda High which is stationed between the US and Europe ( as evidenced in the dark blue circle in Billies great wind map site ). Never been to Cuba, I missed out being born there by 3 years, but I know our weather in FL well after kiting here 17 years. And yes, It is obvious any front making it down to FL will impact your weather.
As a side note, The jet stream almost always stays at the Canadian border, If it dips , and it can dip towards either AZ TX FL or NC, and if it makes it there , are all totally different weather patterns for us.
If it dips AZ TX = no wind for FL. If it dips FL = NW N or maybe NE wind for FL. If it dips NC then
a good chance of NE wind as long as high pressure stays far enough north and doesn't sit on top of us.

Quote:
I still think that those weak NE winds in Florida are Trade Winds just weak.

No, when we do get NE winds they are NOT weak. We only get them from Nov to May after a frontal passage.

Come on over and try our Summer time trade winds, even in the keys.............

I am sure you won't be overly excited about them once you have experienced
South Florida's summer time trade winds..........

Sticking with the Gorge or PR for my summers, thanks :jump:

Feliz Navidad y Ano Nuevo!

[ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2