*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:58 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 257
so I pumped up my 17m to allow it to dry off this AM while it was about 62 degrees F.

this evening it was really soft and it was about 42 Degrees F.

It's still holding shape but feels very soft

Gonna inflate it again now, but I'm curious if this is normal due to weather change, or if I have a leak in the kite?


{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:05 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:02 am
Posts: 202
Rub Soapy water all over the kite and let us know if you see any bubbles. :lol:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:11 am 
Offline
Medium Poster
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:05 am
Posts: 76
Change in temperature will def do this.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:14 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm
Posts: 1762
Okinawa Kiter wrote:
Rub Soapy water all over the kite .... :lol:


Your being Cynical !

Truth be told --Yes a 20deg temp change will make a difference.

It works the Other way also :
I watched a guy pump up his kite at Mohave one day when it was 110-F
in the shade. He got it nice & Full so it went "Ping", then turned it
over in the Hot sand.
It went Bang when the bladder Popped !!

Ever notice how your nice and full kite flies just fine, till it hits the cold
water , (then it gets Soft & spongy) to the point where it's hard to re-launch ?

Bille


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:50 am 
Offline
Rare Poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:21 am
Posts: 15
Location: Dillon, Colorado
Bille wrote:
Okinawa Kiter wrote:
Rub Soapy water all over the kite .... :lol:


Ever notice how your nice and full kite flies just fine, till it hits the cold
water , (then it gets Soft & spongy) to the point where it's hard to re-launch ?

Bille


We're still talking about kite's here, right? :o


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:51 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 257
Hahahaha too funny


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:09 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:45 pm
Posts: 1470
Location: The Gorge
This is a very well known phenomenon, in FL it's usually a good idea to under inflate the kite slightly since the sun will heat it up and increase the pressure in the bladders. I've seen a couple kites pop while sitting on the beach likely due to this.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:51 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2566
darippah wrote:
Gonna inflate it again now, but I'm curious if this is normal due to weather change, or if I have a leak in the kite?


Let us know
Pump your kite to 7 PSI
Clip shut real good all your struts
After a couple of hours "only unclip the center strut" (after verifying by squezing that it is still rigid)
If your hear pssssssssssst.....air shooting out of center strut then LE has some kind of leak

It could be the intake / deflate valve that it bad...could be sand in it and air leaks out
Could be a pinhole in bladder

In the case of temperature affecting rigidity ....if that was the actual reason...
.....LE being soft would also mean that center strut is going soft at the same rate....
...and testing by unclipping the center strut would show no air shooting out

Center strut and LE would both have equal PSI....at 5 PSI for example from original 7 PSI pumped


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:30 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm
Posts: 257
SupaEZ wrote:
darippah wrote:
Gonna inflate it again now, but I'm curious if this is normal due to weather change, or if I have a leak in the kite?


Let us know
Pump your kite to 7 PSI
Clip shut real good all your struts
After a couple of hours "only unclip the center strut" (after verifying by squezing that it is still rigid)
If your hear pssssssssssst.....air shooting out of center strut then LE has some kind of leak

It could be the intake / deflate valve that it bad...could be sand in it and air leaks out
Could be a pinhole in bladder

In the case of temperature affecting rigidity ....if that was the actual reason...
.....LE being soft would also mean that center strut is going soft at the same rate....
...and testing by unclipping the center strut would show no air shooting out

Center strut and LE would both have equal PSI....at 5 PSI for example from original 7 PSI pumped


Great idea! thanks i'll keep you'll posted


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: temperature difference affecting kite rigidity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:38 pm 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm
Posts: 95
Temperature difference is always something to keep in mind when pumping up the kite.

Especially in the Spring and Autumn (Well, in Netherlands at least). Spring days > Warm on land, water still cold. Autumn > Cold on land, water still warm.

So in Spring, better pump it up good. In Autumn, not too hard.


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: alamos_kiter, Bing [Bot], jbdc, ktouhey, whabbits, wood1, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group