All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Let's talk boards.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:19 am 
Frequent Poster

Guys, I need to pick your collective minds about boards. As a qualifier, my style is all about old school hooked in big air.

I have not had the opportunity to try many boards, and until recently have only owned a 2011 Cabrinha Rival 145 TT. http://www.bigwinds.com/kite/category/46/product/1630

This board has a nice mix of everything I like in a board, whether by luck or just because I am used to it, I'm not sure. Here's what I like about it.

First, it has good upwind drive. I like that because I want to be in the air all the time, and so I need to make up the ground I lose quickly.

Second, it being a large board, it has a decent low end. It has some rocker to it, so it's not the absolute best in that category, but it does pretty well.

Third, it carves fairly well. I know that if I dig in the edge, and point the front of the board in a direction, it will do what I tell it to.

Last, it can take a bit of chop, which is important where I kite most.

I have heard so much hype about the Shinn Monk, I recently picked one up to see what the fuss was about, and I was not impressed. The only good thing about the board that impressed me is that no matter how lit you are when you land, you can usually keep it under control. It surpassed my Rival easily in that regard, as mine wants to skip like a stone when you land too lit. It also handles chop fairly well. Everything else was disappointing. There was no upwind drive, I had to fight for every inch Pointing it further upwind would just cause it to plow, and I'd end up losing ground. Carving before a jump just made it plow, causing me to lose all the speed I built up, and making for rather puny jumps. In a lull, it loses speed like I hit quicksand.

What I want to improve on past what my Rival is capable of is more grip when I load the lines for a jump, and being able to land hard and fast without spinning out and getting faceplanted.

Any suggestions?

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Let's talk boards.
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

if you are all about big jumps you need to have as much speed as you possibly can hold..the way to achieve that is by getting a smaller board. If lengthwise or width or both doesn't matter as much...but smaller. If you could consider a directional there are smaller directional that can hold a lot of power too...

If you get a stiffer board it will also increase control, but it is a bit more bumpy to ride.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:39 am 
Medium Poster

Nobile 2HD all the way baby! Best board I ever ridden with the T5 close behind.
Here is me on a 132. I'm 97Kgs and been on this board on my 10m Switchblade in 16 knots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufChw_pAlZ8
T5 10ish knots 17 Edge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cX2xXQ0Zcc
My friends all like my T5 Best, other friend said he loved his old Tracks 140 board. I can say the 2HD is fast and fun, but at 132 get a bit of spray in the face. It's not a light wind board but seriously gets me going in 13 knots on my Edge 17. I think I can get another 1 knot low end on my 140 T5 so probably the 2Hd 137 would be my one board choice with a new Flysurfer Lotus 12m, Both kite and board would rip upwind, high speed and big air. ultimate free ride setup in my opinion. (Sorry I know you are just asking about boards) purely for free ride and popping off waves.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:27 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you just want to Airstyle strictly hooked, then get a smaller board, max 135.
With a smaller board you can hold more power of a kite resulting to bigger air.
And a smaller board is better for handling if you are doing board offs in all kind of variations.

I have 94 kg and use a 128x38

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Toby is right. A smaller board will hold more power and boost bigger. Your 145 is way to big for holding down a big kite and boosting huge.

You also want a rectangular shape. The more rounded it is the better it carves and rides waves. The worse it is for boosting and upwind.

Bigger fins help you hold more power too... more power = more height.

Now I'm not 100% sure about flex. I suspect you need a stiffish board with fast rebound properties. A carbon board its probably going to give you good pop.

problem with a stiff, rectangle shape board is that it will be harsh on landings. and harsh through chop. Riding Chop requires an opposite set up to boosting, You need rounder tips, more flex......

So. to get a rectangle shape stiffer board going smooth in chop. Add some rocker. Look for a board with good tip flex while still keeping its stiffness through the center.

Also look for woodcore. That will be more robust that a foamcore board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:32 am 
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

The problem I seem to have with boards that I try is smaller boards will leave me slogging in lulls, and seem to have the same upwind disability. When the wind is ripping they will hold down more kite, but this is Florida, and the ripping days here are few and far between. I just hate lugging around more than a single board to a session, but it might end up to be a necessity.

Regarding the shape, I noticed that the Monk is a rounder shape, and it's fairly decent in chop and will keep it together in a fast land on uneven water, while my Rival is a little more square-ish, has decent chop handling (probably for the flex), but will gladly buck me off in a hairy landing.

Funny thing though, I thought the Monk would be much better at loading. It has a thicker stiff center, and some flex at the ends.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:48 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Love my Origin... I keep banging on about it but it really is just about perfect for me. Good enough bottom end, no problems over-powered, reasonable pop, great through the chop and no (I mean NO) spray...

What Plummet said +1.

Have a look at the Flyradical boards... squarer but with flex tips and not as soft as the Origin, but not has stiff as a freestyle board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:51 am 
Very Frequent Poster

plummet wrote:
Also look for woodcore. That will be more robust that a foamcore board.

Is ANYONE not doing a wood core these days? Most of the boards are a hybrid of some sort...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hi,

What is your weight?
I'm a big Monk fan and the negative side what you described makes me wonder if the board was too big or you didn't have the correct stance or whatever...
Surely there are stiffer boards out there with greater upwind capability, but that would hurt your/my knees. How old are your knees?

Cheers
Caesar 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:14 am 
Medium Poster

For me if the kite and board can't take me upwind well then it makes 60% of the time kiting bad. The Monk is very bad for getting upwind unless powered. Same as Speedball. Tried both and my smaller HP2 can be 30-50m more upwind on 1 tack. If powered then any board (or kite) is fine, but so many times here we are powered, then so so then a lull. Thow in a jump and you often can only jump once every 2 tacks. Furthermore if the lull is for several minutes then now you are downwind and have to tack 4-6 times. Another point is if I need to go upwind to kite in a better area or away from other kiters, then upwind ability of the board (and kite) is #1 priority for me. Too many times that I have been on a kite or board that I am trying tack after tack to get upwind but end up back at the same spot where I left, especially after a small jump. It is truly Mowing the lawn for me. :D

I wonder why this is not a priority or talked about more by other kiters? I am guessing many of you guys live in places where winds are always good or wave riding?

That said the guys that kite all in the same area doing handle passes seem to be riding these kinds of boards usually and they seem to never go upwind anywhere and stay in the same spot showing their tricks. Mind you they all weigh about 65kgs and riding 138-140cm boards So must be fine for them. As a big guy 97kgs wanting to get upwind in all conditions the type of kite and board is imperative for me to have good fun. I guess different things work for different people. :thumb:

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next