All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Attention Rebel Veterans
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

When the fifth is too slack the kite will have no power and range. On this type of a kite the two fronts and the fifth form a simple bridle. So if out of adjustment the bridle is out of wack. To understand what is happening lets change the names of lines and pretend you look at the kite from the side. So the fifth is in the front of everything. Second in line are primary lines(fronts) and third in line are secondary lines(backs) follow me so far? So primary lines close the kite first but you don't feel a thing because they go to your hook. Then the secondary close some more and that is what you feel on the bar. So you see if your fifth is too short your front lines don't help and your back lines are overloaded.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:15 am 
Frequent Poster

marlboroughman wrote:
When the fifth is too slack the kite will have no power and range. On this type of a kite the two fronts and the fifth form a simple bridle. So if out of adjustment the bridle is out of wack. To understand what is happening lets change the names of lines and pretend you look at the kite from the side. So the fifth is in the front of everything. Second in line are primary lines(fronts) and third in line are secondary lines(backs) follow me so far? So primary lines close the kite first but you don't feel a thing because they go to your hook. Then the secondary close some more and that is what you feel on the bar. So you see if your fifth is too short your front lines don't help and your back lines are overloaded.

Thanks, I've always checked back and top lines for equal length & then just made sure the 5th had "a bit" of slack........ I'll now want to make sure thats it's not too much.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

marlboroughman wrote:

I like it....makes sense...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Allow me to beat a dead horse....

As I look down my lines tuning my bar, I put a TINY bit of slack in the 5th ABOVE the Y (I will say I have 1 inch of sway hanging down when the fronts are pulled tight by the strong center loop at the ring). I put a LOT of slack in the 5th line BELOW the Y (I will say I have 3 inches of sway hanging down below the Y when I pull the bar to the chic powered up). Sound like a good ratio?

(Some are saying the above the Y needs some micro-slack as well - mixed messages here?)

Sorry to be obsessive compulsive, but as I understand it the Rebel does have an obsessive cult following so me thinks Im not acting too unreasonable...
:yumyum:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:11 am 
Very Frequent Poster

I test my lines visually once on the beach kite at 12 bar pulled in and then on the water the same I pull the bar all the way in and watch those lines so the fifth doesn't get more tension than fronts in the end that's what matters.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 am 
Very Frequent Poster

marlboroughman wrote:
You have to adjust fifth line length. I bet it is too short. Park the kite at 12 and pull the bar in all the way. The fifth should have just a tat more slack then front lines. On the other hand if you make the fifth too long you will lose power the kite will feel gutless.

Many years of flying Rebel, I don't agree (maybe true for other North models, Dice Vegas etc.)

On Rebel the 5th needs to be tensioned, not have more slack than the other front lines.
5th too long, you get less upwind and jumping performance
5th too short, kite feels gutless and on/off (depower is not smooth), heavy bar pressure

An keep in mind that it's Y BRIDLE AND FRONT PIGTAIL SHRINKAGE as well as bar lines affecting this. So you need to measure the bridle as often as you measure the bar lines (Armin made a great post a while back explaining why Dyneema shrinks)

Last edited by sarc on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:22 pm 
Frequent Poster

If you only have one bar and lines, buy another and use it to compare. You should have at least one spare bar anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:58 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

If you own an old Rebel and the lines are a mess you could replace them with simple five lines set up without Y it will make maintening the fifth fronts relationship easier

Last edited by marlboroughman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:06 pm 
Frequent Poster

William Munney wrote:
If you only have one bar and lines, buy another and use it to compare. You should have at least one spare bar anyway.

This is a very good point, especially for any kite which needs a specific bar.
I was recently on a trip with a fried who has a 2008 Rebel 16m, the kite would not fly right, we checked the line length on the ground and it all seemed ok, when in the air however the back and front lines stretched under flight load so much as to make it uncontrollable. I gave him my spare bar to try and the kite flew perfectly. If the original poster is still having doubts as to his setup then
finding someone else's bar to use for reference would be useful.

[ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3