All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cabrinha Overdrive question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:52 pm 
Medium Poster

I have put both the 2011 and 2013 IDS system back together on the water after accidental deployment in Maui. That leaves no doubt that it can be done. It would be tougher in cold water.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:18 am 
Frequent Poster

Good to know, thanks.
Ya think it could happen by accident or in the case of a friend the other day he hit coral and all a couple inches under the water, he deployed the safety just so he wouldn't face plant on it. It was a 5th line North but it just laid on it's back refusing to roll over, so I kited over to it and launched it for him while holding my kite.

After these kite companies have been in the business for 13+ years you would think they would get this sorted out by now. Plus why no stopper ball on this $600 bar? I would pay them the extra 25 cents to put it on.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:44 am 
Frequent Poster

Okinawa Kiter wrote:
Good to know, thanks.
Ya think it could happen by accident or in the case of a friend the other day he hit coral and all a couple inches under the water, he deployed the safety just so he wouldn't face plant on it. It was a 5th line North but it just laid on it's back refusing to roll over, so I kited over to it and launched it for him while holding my kite.

After these kite companies have been in the business for 13+ years you would think they would get this sorted out by now. Plus why no stopper ball on this $600 bar? I would pay them the extra 25 cents to put it on.

The Overdrive does have a stopper ball on the plastic sheath around the center lines. It can be adjusted pretty easily but you have to use the Phillips head screw driver that comes in the repair kit. it is not designed to be an on the fly adjustable stopper ball. I really don't get why Cabrinha over engineers their bars to the degree they do. I think it is all safety related as to why they do. Their quick release still is terrible IMO. I'm not familiar with the 2013 IDS or if it is similar or different than the Overdrive bar but I would love to see someone shoot a video of putting the Overdrive back together in the water with decent pull on the kite.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:00 pm 
Rare Poster

I have a question relating to how Overdrive affects the bottom end of the kite. I haven't had the pleasure of using the 2014 bar yet... so I'm wondering: if using for example a Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, if I put the bar into "Overdrive" when the wind gets down to say around 10-12 knots, would it essentially help with trying to create apparent wind? I understand that it should make the kite turn faster, hence help in lighter wind. Am I right or wrong?

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:57 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Video of a 2014 Switchblade being flagged and relaunched, but doesn't show exactly what he did. It didn't take long, but the kite was well depowered.

At 5 minutes into video.

http://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/actio ... /page/345/

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 3:37 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

First time I saw a 2012 bar - my mates in Thailand - I grabbed it and pulled the QR. By the time he had finished saying "OMG what have you done!", I had it back together. First time I'd touched that version of the QR...

There are better systems around, for sure but it does some things well.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

kiteontario wrote:
I have a question relating to how Overdrive affects the bottom end of the kite. I haven't had the pleasure of using the 2014 bar yet... so I'm wondering: if using for example a Cabrinha Switchblade 12m, if I put the bar into "Overdrive" when the wind gets down to say around 10-12 knots, would it essentially help with trying to create apparent wind? I understand that it should make the kite turn faster, hence help in lighter wind. Am I right or wrong?

The standard size overdrive bar included with a complete 12m Switchblade should be in override mode in most conditions. In override mode, the bar is 57cm wide which is more appropriate for a 12m than the 49 cm setting. So... I would ride all the time on the 12m in override (widest setting) mode. If you were riding wakestyle and unhooking a ton and just want the kite parked without moving it, then the 49cm setting would be more appropriate on the 12m.

I hope this helps!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:05 pm 
Frequent Poster

Cabrinha kites have a feature called "depower on demand". This is a not easy to explain term that is actually a pretty important feature. Basically, it means that the kite is designed to depower very well when pushing the bar away, especially when compared to other kites in the industry. When compared to the average other kite in the market, Cabrinha kites achieve more depower than others simply by pushing the bar away and this avoids having to activate the QR on the Cabrinha in some situations. Other brand kites might require that the user activate the QR to reach a level of depower that the Cabrinha can achieve through pushing the bar away.

So, Cabrinha have a security system, but the idea is to not have to use it all the time. Thus we put "depower on demand" right in your hands so the first stage of security on a Cabrinha kite is to push the bar away and the kite will achieve a very good level of depower. If more depower is required, then you would deploy the QR1 to flag the kite on a single line.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:35 am 
Medium Poster

Yep, I was going to point that out too. Thats what the big spring is there for - it takes the place of a stopper ball, keeping your bar within reach, and stopping it fully depowering when you let go of/ spin the bar. The advantage it gives is that you push the bar away, compressing the spring, it fully depowers and falls out of the sky - so you dont need to pull the safety at all. Another advantage of the spring is that when you crash and let go of the bar, it can compress itself, thus automatically depowering the kite and taking some of the 'oof' out of your crash.
If I got into a situation where I had to pull the safety, I'd just be glad it worked, and more than happy to return to the beach to reset it, still alive.
That said, I have fired it by accident a couple of times in waist deep water and managed to reset it, and I have the 1st version (2012 I think) which is the most tricky to do.
I really love the system, and I'll find it hard to accept any other bar, with all their bloody flappy bits, finger rubbing ropes in the middle, twisting trim straps, and limited depower. But thats just me.

[ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2