All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Kiting in the BVI..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm 
Rare Poster

Who has kited in the British Virgin Islands..? Heading out there in a couple of weeks and looking for some local tips, spots, and info.. :D

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Kiting in the BVI..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:20 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

wife and i just got back from there. Best spots in our opinion:

Bitter End on Virgin gorda - Scott, George, and Ross are probably the coolest crew you'll ever meet. Small beach setup, kind of sharp objects in the sand so bring booties when you are launching others. Beautiful spot! Amazing kiting.

Sandy Spit on Jost Van Dyke - omg epic, epic spot. Probably my favorite. Check it out on google maps. You got waves on one side and flat water on the other. Lots of snorkelers/divers in the mid day.

We got trades every day and were lit on our 12m (RPM)/13 (Vegas).

My wife packed a 10 Vegas which we could have used but preferred riding powered.

We had no luck with the food- it was terrible and wayyyy expensive. Couldn't believe that seafood was so unpopular! - It's all about chicken down there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:38 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks a lot consumer..:-) Sandy spit looks amazing...what a paradise out there..!! I will be staying on Virgin Gorda so will have to explore as many places as I can.. Will pop by and see the crew at bitter end for sure, although I heard there was a new school starting this year.. Fusion.. Might have to check them out as well...! They do SUP rentals/tours as well..would be good for no wind days..and a little yoga to repair my old body..hahah

Little sad to hear the food wasn't up to scratch, I love my seafood..will just have to catch it myself I reckon... :lol:

Can't wait to get out there.. It looks so untouched... Just what I am looking for.. Pristine beaches and reefs...without the usual crowds..

Thnx again..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:38 am 
Very Frequent Poster

You can launch off Google island just a bit below Branson's Island and it's beautiful. Butter end is to the East of Google Isle. Anywhere out between the two is great. Sandy Spit: wowwww! Amazing!!! Anegada Rocks also!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:44 pm 
Rare Poster

Hey guys. So I've been living, kiting and teaching in the BVI for the best part of a decade so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents:
Consumer - agree with you, Bitter End (BEYC) is a good place to launch and the Carib Kiteboarding guys are a cool crew. If you're not staying at the BEYC then make sure you check with Scotty or Ross before launching as the wind has to be easterly or slightly north of east for an easy launch. Definitely concur on the footwear as there can be Conch shells and you do NOT want one of those through your foot (trust me!) although the Carib boys do a good job of clearing them away (don't kill them, they are massively overfished like everything else in the sea).
You can also launch of Prickly Pear if the wind is due east and Sandy Spit is a good option too although again, can't handle any south in the breeze as you get turbulence off Tortola.
Anegada is by far the best spot (possibly one of the best worldwide!) but hard to get to and you are on your own. Don't do anything stupid out there as there is little to no support whatsoever. Do NOT kite at the West End, stick to Loblolly Beach (aka Big Bamboo) or Cow Wreck Beach but please respect other beach users and keep downwind of snorkelers and swimmers at all times.
Sevenseas - You will love VG and yes there is a new outdoor activity company that is launching there this month called Fusion BVI www.facebook.com/fusionbvi and they will be offering Kiteboarding lessons, SUP rentals and guided tours and Pilates classes, anyway look them up.
Food is good, you just have to know where to go! The BVI does not have any fertile land or much rainfall so all produce has to be imported hence high prices and lots of American influenced fried food! You can find healthy(ish) options though, check out CocoMaya, Saba Rock and Fat Virgins which are my favourite local eateries.
14ToeSide - Eustatia Island which is what you are referring to as Google Island is private just like neighbouring Necker so please respect the privacy of guests there and call ahead if planning to launch. It's also onshore and there are often kids playing on the beach so please contact the watersports manager on 1 284 346 7703 or email charlie@eustatia.com
The small strip of sand in between the two is also a good place to launch in almost any wind direction (Eustatia Sound and BEYC get's gusty in SE) and is known locally as "The Sand Spit" not to be confused with Sandy Spit and Green Cay off Jost van Dyke!!
Have fun and please leave "Nature's Little Secrets" the way you found them :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:46 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks cskiteboarding ...!! That's some great info... Can't wait to get out there and maybe never leave..haha.. Looking at the forecast is getting me stoked already... Such a beautiful place and with conditions like that it truly looks like a kiting paradise..!! I will post some news when I get there, and will for sure get in touch with Fusion.. http://www.facebook.com/fusionbvi..

Will post some pics and session reports for all those others coming this way.. And like always will leave it just as I found it... :D

[ 6 posts ]