All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Soft leading edge after session
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:33 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

There are two problems, taking the bladder out:

1. As you have NO idea where the hole is, you have to work very systematically along the bladder - it takes a huge amount of time.
2. Like you said - it can be VERY difficult to find a spot with sufficient room (it has to be outside), for the full bladder.
And always a risk of getting more holes, if in the garden with bushes and thorns etc (and cats maybe ha haa)
3. With most kites, being one-pump, you have no idea if it is a strut or one-pump connection (even with struts clipped off, you can not be certain it is "tight" - as we have to remember we are looking at a hole of a size where it takes half a day for the kite to become softer), so #1 might be a waste of time :(

I have never had any luck with soapy water for tiny holes, not on the bladder, nor on the kite - so always using the "dipping" method in both cases.
Maybe just me doing it wrong ?

Anyways - when you pump the whole kite up to the limit, it usually wont take long till you find the hole.
The bonus is, that if you DONT find the hole, you can still kite, and find it another day :thumb:
Would be impossible if the whole kite with clips and one-pump tubes and bladders and everything, is disassembled :( Even if only the front bladder is out - you will typically not just reassemble for a ride, untill the hole is located...
The downside is, if you dont have days/spots with offshore wind or calm weather - then it is not good to dip it in the sea, as you cant see anything :wink:
But easy around here - we have water in all wind directions :D

So in a few minutes, you can have the kite pumped and locate the hole (or not, but so what - you can still ride...)

8) Peter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:40 pm 
Frequent Poster

You can buy on of those plastic kiddie pools for about 15$. I have changed a bladder before , was not that hard to do. Personally if I could not find hole on first attempt I would just replace. I would isolate leak to leading edge or strut and buy a ne one. Not missing one good session is worth the price of new bladder IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:43 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Quote:
Maybe just me doing it wrong

No, you have your way and I have mine, others will have different ways, what ever works for you.

I only posted because you said that it couldn't be done my way which it can

Finding a small leak in a kite is a PITA period/full stop. I find it easier just to remove the whole bladder, saves time in the long run I have found.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:45 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

matth wrote:
You can buy on of those plastic kiddie pools for about 15$. I have changed a bladder before , was not that hard to do. Personally if I could not find hole on first attempt I would just replace. I would isolate leak to leading edge or strut and buy a ne one. Not missing one good session is worth the price of new bladder IMO.

Really :o you must have money to burn, bladders aren't cheap and the you have to wait for them to be delivered etc, surely quicker to repair than wait a few days for one through the post??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:16 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
matth wrote:

Really :o you must have money to burn, bladders aren't cheap and the you have to wait for them to be delivered etc, surely quicker to repair than wait a few days for one through the post??

Agree :x

Sometimes, some brands will have you buy a full set, and the price for the frontbladder can be ridiculous high :wink:
More important, with so many brands that shops got now, they most often DONT have bladders on stock.
Would be impossible, because there is a different set of bladders for every kitesize.
Multiply this with the number of kites in all brands ranges - and you'll see why it is almost impossible.

Getting bladders by mail order is possible, but the waiting time where you can not use your kite (AND the price) ?

One should also remember, that if you buy a new bladder because you can not find the small hole - you might have the same problem after using the new bladder :o

Cause, there can be a small thorn or similar stuck in the stitching f.ex - which might poke a hole in the new bladder :cry:

But if you have located the hole in your bladder, you will of course feel and check with your eyes and fingers, that there is nothing stuck inside the LE.

On light coulored LE's, one can see this if not in the stitching.
On dark ones, it is not as easy, and better to check.

I remember a guy who had his kite in a really bad thornlike bush.

First he patches every single hole up, so no leaks in the bladder (that was maybe 30 holes or more ?).
Reinserted - and when pumped it still leaked like crazy :-( (of course because small thorns were still all around in the LE)
He bought a new bladder, and even AFTER having felt with his fingers and removing anything inside, and having used a brand new bladder - it was still a "porcupine" and leaked like crazy.

He gave up and ditched the kite, seriously :roll: (and bought a new one)

So these small thorns in a huge number can be REALLY annoying...

8) PF

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:23 pm 
Frequent Poster

JGTR wrote:
matth wrote:

I absolutely would try to fix first, hence the pool suggestion!!!.
I do not have money to burn , but I also have no time to waste. If its cutting into my riding time , its getting fixed at any cost!!!!

Maybe bladderless kites are the future, then they could be repaired externally like a tire...

[ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2