All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Airush Slayer 60, short review and video
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:22 am 
Medium Poster

Hi. As you know the Slayer is a new shape concept coming from Airush. This board is mainly aimed to the strapless riding but in this regard due to its weight and generous size I’ve found difficult to throw aerial tricks especially grabbing and flipping the board. Instead of Chinese construction I would have preferred a Cobra one. Nevertheless the little brother, the 54, should be a better choice for that kind of style! So I put on it the straps and I discovered one of the best light wind directional freestyle board out there….probably the best one. Notice that I also own the North Nugget but the light wind capabilities of the Slayer are, simply, by far better. Obviously strapless the Nugget wins. Said that, I rode the Slayer in very marginal conditions with the Naish Fly, the Ozone Edge 13 and the RRD Obsession 13,5…..what a pleasure! I turned race sessions in freestyle sessions with a lot of different low mid air tricks. The Slayer can point upwind effortlessly but It is not as fast as a pure freerace board. Jibes and tacks are easy and very smooth. In those days I had a lot of fun and I learned a couple of new moves :D . Here’s a video showing the Slayer 60 in action.
Cheers
Carlo

https://vimeo.com/84030775#at=2

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Airush Slayer 60, short review and video
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:01 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Nice :)

How do those kind of things feel on the knees/ankles, throwing them around in the air?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:07 am 
Medium Poster

Hi. Dear Kamikuza I've never had a problems with those tricks. The most important thing (I'm not very young) is to keep the body in good shape which is, after all, very important in every sports. That being said, doing these low/mid air moves with a heavy/large board needs kites that in their DNA have a very good lift and a great hang time especially in marginal conditions; in this regard jumping with no efforts and soft landing are the most important things. Needless to say It is safer and easyer to learn new moves with big kites and steady light breezes :thumb: .
Cheers
Carlo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:16 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Its a wide board. Do you find the leverage needed to edge it tiring?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm 
Medium Poster

Ive got the 60 on demo in the shop, which we have mostly prefered to ride strapless. The board doesnt really need to be edged hard with the three standard fins in it, they offer enough grip so you can ride it a bit flatter, which is better in light wind anyway.

I bought a 54 for myself and at my weight 75kg definitely prefer the slightly smaller size, it's easier to carve, its a bit lighter to pop and carry about (still quite heavy and very beefed up compared to a surfboard) and it fits in my car easier. I ride it mostly strapless in flat to small windblown waves and it's a keeper for sure.

The interesting thing with the current slayer is that you have 5 mini tuttle boxes in it, so its actually extremely versatile. You can set it up with a couple of sector fins and turn it into a really compact freerace board that rips upwind (put straps on!) or you can loosen it right up with smaller fins and slash about in small waves. My next thing will be to try setting it up as a quad or a twin fin.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

haiku wrote:
Hi. As you know the Slayer is a new shape concept coming from Airush. This board is mainly aimed to the strapless riding but in this regard due to its weight and generous size I’ve found difficult to throw aerial tricks especially grabbing and flipping the board. Instead of Chinese construction I would have preferred a Cobra one. Nevertheless the little brother, the 54, should be a better choice for that kind of style! So I put on it the straps and I discovered one of the best light wind directional freestyle board out there….probably the best one. Notice that I also own the North Nugget but the light wind capabilities of the Slayer are, simply, by far better. Obviously strapless the Nugget wins. Said that, I rode the Slayer in very marginal conditions with the Naish Fly, the Ozone Edge 13 and the RRD Obsession 13,5…..what a pleasure! I turned race sessions in freestyle sessions with a lot of different low mid air tricks. The Slayer can point upwind effortlessly but It is not as fast as a pure freerace board. Jibes and tacks are easy and very smooth. In those days I had a lot of fun and I learned a couple of new moves :D . Here’s a video showing the Slayer 60 in action.
Cheers
Carlo

https://vimeo.com/84030775#at=2

... nice vid dude, " like " as my kids would say!!!! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:50 pm 
Medium Poster

Hi. Thanks Puetz. Ronnie no need to leverage the Slayer and not only: It can easily eat chop, so ride with it is a real pleasure. g0nz0 i would prefer the 54 because strapless is better for aerial tricks but when the wind is enough for It I can use a wide and more compact surfboard. Moreover my home spot is not much windy so the 60 It's a better choice :thumb: .
Cheers
Carlo

[ 7 posts ]