All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sri Lanka next week..
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:38 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi all, I'm arriving in Sri Lanka on saturday 25th. I was supposed to be surfing but the mate I was meeting out there got dumped by a wave and broke his pelvis. As I'll be on holiday alone now I thought I might take my kites and have a few questions..

Does anyone know about the wind conditions? Windguru says Kaliptiya has a fairly constant 14 - 15 knots. Is this correct? Do they ever get stronger days? Not sure if I should bother with my 9m or just 12m. The wind is NE which means it is coming over the land. Are there problems with the wind shadow caused by this? Where on the lagoon is the best place to stay and kite?

Thanks for your help!
Dan

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Sri Lanka next week..
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:40 am 
Rare Poster

I am in the last couple days of a month long tour of the island and have kited in a couple places around the island. I was in kaliptiya for 4 days. The general trend seems that it doesn't pick up till around 1ish. If that's the only place you are planning to be I would suggest just taking your 12. I also kited at negombo(was weak), hambontota(was really strong, tricky launching), and hopefully today on the south coast. I ride foils, and had my 12 fall apart on my first day so I've been using my 21 and a 8. Let me know if you need suggestions for places to stay and kite spots. Wish I went further north to Mannar and Jaftna but rain kept us away.

=Jason-

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:17 pm 
Rare Poster

Hi guys,

the wind here in Kalpitiya is blowing since mi-january on an average of 6 days a week, from 15 to 20+ knots. Depending on the day it can start in the morning and drop mid-afternoon or start around 1-2pm till 6.

And Gisela Pulido is here with us training for PKRA since 2 weeks...

here is a video filmed these days on various spots around Kalpitiya.

More infos : http://www.srilankakite.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:16 pm 
Frequent Poster

I'd definitely take the 9 as well.
Last year in Feb, we had about 5 days per week on average kiteable wind, mostly thermically re-inforced, and building around 1pm, lasting until sunset. Typically, when there was wind, it was good for the 9 (20knts or so).
We kited south of Kalpitiya, on the ocean of Thoduwawa/ Madurakuliya.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:55 pm 
Rare Poster

Thanks for the info - had a fantastic week.. windy 7 days out of 8 and even felt I needed a 7m on one afternoon. Thanks for the great stay at srilankakite!

p.s. Stef, I am trying to get hold of Jurgen and Christine who were staying for the weekend and gave me a lift to the airport - do you have any contact details?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:24 am 
Rare Poster

Hi, thanks for the good review! And the wind is still blowing everyday!

I've sent Jorgten's mail by pm

[ 6 posts ]