All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 am 
Frequent Poster

I am the one who complained about the turbine bar below the bar trim. I love the Turbine kite - love it so much that a year+ ago I bought one knowing I was not going to like the bar and eventually I would have to mod it.

If somebody thought I was bashing the Turbine then I failed!! I I love my Turbine and have no intention of switching to another LW kite for many years
-- that said if I was buying one today I would fly the Flite in heavier winds to make sure it could take it, then I would buy the Flite

I'll say it again - all 4 of these kites were GREAT LW performers - I don't think you would be disappointed in any of them.

ride baby ride & lets keep this focused on the reviews

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Hello guys,
Just wanted to let you know that I was able to test the INFINITY V3 that XLKites/OceanAdventure shipped back to me. And the reason why the kite did not fly the way it should fly was because of few minor things on the bar set up. Just so you know, the kite was perfectly fine. This is what was making the kite not perform the way it's know to perform:
1) One of the steering lines were 10cm too long
2) The Depower strap was fully pulled in so I hope they did not fly the kite with the strap full depowered. Its like driving a car with the Hand Break on.
3) The bar had the 5 meter extension lines added to the 22 meter. People have to understand that the INFINITY comes with 5 meter extension lines in the bag, so riders over 240 lbs can add these extension lines for more power, but they will loose some of its performance such turning speed and direct feel of the kite. But for riders that are between 150 to 230 lbs the INFINITY V3 performs the best with 22 meter lines. So fly the kite with the 22 meter lines. No need to make it 27 meter lines. All the videos you see of me in very light wind is with 22 meter lines only. All the testimonials we have from magazines and kiters is with the 22 meter lines. Rarely you will be using these 5 meter extension lines.

So in few words I removed these 5 meter lines, fixed one of the flying lines of the bar and made the bar perfectly straight and launched the INFINITY V3 on 22 meter lines. The kite flew perfectly the way its suppose to.
I did sent an email to XLKites/OceanAdventures and told them I was going to try to ship the kite today and if I can't make it to the Fed Ex location will send it tomorrow morning so they can test it again and see what this kite is all about. But I asked them to test it in light wind 7 to 12 knots max because 15 to 20 knots all kites fly well.
Any way I did sent an email to the factory and ask them to pay more attention when setting up the bar & lines.

P.S. If you want to read more about this and see pictures then go to the EPICKITES 4G link in order to get a better understand to what I did.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2381074&start=400

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:18 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Great .. to know the truth ...glad it clears your nice kite :cheers:

I feel the same about the extensions (3m) that comes in the bag of the Core Riot XR3 19 :wink:

Not necessary at all ....unless you are a real big rider ...230 to 240+
.....and need the extra power of a longer down stroke / upstroke ....
.....to get board on a plane and need to feel more pull from the kite...
..... that will end up parked and locked lower in the window

It is no wonder the testers concluded that the 19 on 27m lines got them overpowered rather soon

I am pretty sure also that the back lines were not adjusted correctly...they were too tight

They needed to be loosened by at least 3 inches

My 2 cents.....after over 70 days / sessions on my favorite.....blimp :lol:

I know my LW kite ...........just like Dimitri knows his LW kite...we have lots of LW hours...
.....under our harnesses power belts :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:14 am 
Frequent Poster

You know - days after it was all over i wondered about whether the line extensions might have affected things. Trim was pulled in because we usually had a bit of a walk every time we came in because of the current - if i was flying it last i always pulled trim to max for the walk up the beach

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:43 am 
Very Frequent Poster

knot_moving wrote:
You know - days after it was all over i wondered about whether the line extensions might have affected things. Trim was pulled in because we usually had a bit of a walk every time we came in because of the current - if i was flying it last i always pulled trim to max for the walk up the beach

The maximum amount of trim you can apply is only 5 1/4 inches on the Core......
....4 to 1 ratio system which means that 21 inches of trim line pulled equals only 5.25 inches

Yes having extensions affected things....it affects depower trow especially with new shorter bridle

When using those 3m extensions....you need to adjust the back lines 4 inches looser...before launch

The XR3 does not have more low end than the XR2 had

The illusion is created because with the shorter bridle the kite has a bit less depower from trow

The back lines essentially do not loosen as quickly when bar is pushed away...(feel more power)

Fly the kite again on 24m lines and set kite on fast turning speed...not superfast

Loosen back lines 2 inches under the bar floats...and set all the way out on wingtip pigtail

On LE setting adjust to the least amount of bar pressure

You will have a great 7-8 kn to 18 kn range that way :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:08 am 
Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
knot_moving wrote:

The maximum amount of trim you can apply is only 5 1/4 inches on the Core......
....4 to 1 ratio system which means that 21 inches of trim line pulled equals only 5.25 inches

Core does not have a 4:1 depower system.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:46 am 
Rare Poster

Good to hear the infinity is good to go and I'm looking forward to the comparison with the flite and contra.

I've had good feedback from my demo's on this kite, not everyone buys one but nobody has given negative feedback as yet.

Do you guys still have the other kites as well?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:51 pm 
Frequent Poster

EastCC wrote:
Good to hear the infinity is good to go and I'm looking forward to the comparison with the flite and contra.

I've had good feedback from my demo's on this kite, not everyone buys one but nobody has given negative feedback as yet.

Do you guys still have the other kites as well?

Yes we do.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:

I wrote about trim line...4 to 1 ratio system.....( i did not write the word depower )

When you pull in 4 inches of trim line the kite's front lines get shortened by 1 inch

For example my North Trust bar is a 2:1 ratio system

Pull in 4 inches and it shortens the front lines by 2 inches

The Sensor bar trim line is very Ez to pull in because of 4:1 plus it will never slip in the cam cleat

You will have 21 inches of trim line on the velcro...when front lines shortened to the max 5.25 inches

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:27 pm 
Frequent Poster

SupaEZ wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:

I wrote about trim line...4 to 1 ratio system.....( i did not write the word depower )

When you pull in 4 inches of trim line the kite's front lines get shortened by 1 inch

For example my North Trust bar is a 2:1 ratio system

Pull in 4 inches and it shortens the front lines by 2 inches

The Sensor bar trim line is very Ez to pull in because of 4:1 plus it will never slip in the cam cleat

You will have 21 inches of trim line on the velcro...when front lines shortened to the max 5.25 inches

Core does not have a 4:1 trim system...

[ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 42  Next