All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:25 am 
Rare Poster

soul19 wrote:
...decision on the ultimate travel kites!

Hey James,

I've packed down the 12m and the 17m Cloud during these trials. I'm talking a 12m & 17m kite, harness, 2 bars & shorty probably in a 22" roll-aboard suitcase. Rent a board on location. That could be money and sounds pretty ultimate if you travel a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:47 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Really interested to see how the Fat Lady, Cloud, and Flite compare. Is there anyway you can use the same bar and line set-up on all three kites? I own the Fat Lady and Blade bar but prefer to use a 23in bar with 27m lines when flying a kite that big. I wish Blade would make a specific bar(bigger) for the Fat Lady rather than using the stock bar of the "Triggers"
Great job on the reviews. :thumb: My only comment is that not everyone rides twin tips in light wind or even own one. Would be nice to see what's possible with those kites with a surfboard in waves.
Would love to try to pull off one of these "Average Joe" reviews down here in San Diego. :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:28 am 
Frequent Poster

iblocalsurfer wrote:
Really interested to see how the Fat Lady, Cloud, and Flite compare. Is there anyway you can use the same bar and line set-up on all three kites? I own the Fat Lady and Blade bar but prefer to use a 23in bar with 27m lines when flying a kite that big. I wish Blade would make a specific bar(bigger) for the Fat Lady rather than using the stock bar of the "Triggers"
Great job on the reviews. :thumb: My only comment is that not everyone rides twin tips in light wind or even own one. Would be nice to see what's possible with those kites with a surfboard in waves.
Would love to try to pull off one of these "Average Joe" reviews down here in San Diego. :D

We will do as much testing as we can. As for the surfing, there is more chop than waves, so as we have become very good at light wind riding twin tips, we kind of neglect the surf boards around here. We will do what we can brother.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:54 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Don't get me wrong. The tests you are conducting still have significant value and it's really nice to see you guys taking the time in your schedules to put it together. You can see from the all the views that people are paying attention to this and I'm sure appreciate your efforts as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:24 am 
Very Frequent Poster

ronnie wrote:
So the other 17m kites vary from 43% heavier than the Cloud to 63% heavier.

Bigger gap than I expected and the Cloud doesn't use a lightweight bladder like some of the other kites.

Wow! That is pretty damn impressive when you look at it like that.

Is this new cloud a lot lighter than the original?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 am 
Very Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
ronnie wrote:
So the other 17m kites vary from 43% heavier than the Cloud to 63% heavier.

Bigger gap than I expected and the Cloud doesn't use a lightweight bladder like some of the other kites.

Wow! That is pretty damn impressive when you look at it like that.

Is this new cloud a lot lighter than the original?

I've seen the C1 quoted as 3.2 kg with the original bridle and Greg, the Cloud designer has shown how to copy the C2 bridle layout using parts of the original C1 bridle and after that mod, the C1 would weigh 3.02 kg.
There seems to be a consensus that the C1 top end is better with the bridle mod.

Yeah 2.74 kg is very light. Doesn't take much wind to produce 2.74 kg of lift from a 17m.

From the C1 relaunch video it looks like the technique is to turn the kite so the LE is always trailing the canopy behind it. Don't scoop water onto the canopy.

So when its on its back, he lets one end drift downwind and keeps the other end stationary in the water, then adjusts it so its at the optimum angle to the wind for the wind to get under the upwind end and flip it over.
Then from the parked position let one end drift away and position the other end so the opening under the canopy presents as big an area as possible to the wind and let the wind fill it and peel the canopy off the water.
Probably going to be similar for the C2.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:36 am 
Rare Poster

One thing that was never mentioned in the tests of all those kites, build quality!
It's one thing it can fly with almost no wind but for sure it's going to crash so I would not like a kite to tear after 1 year of usage.
I've also noted on 2 slightly used Slingshot kites (2012 and 2013 Turbine) that I looked at and noticed that the zigzag stitches were broken on the leading edge at 2-3 different places. I do not know if this is normal but I would be afraid it could lead to a canopy tear if the kite drop leading edge down quickly on the water surface.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:21 am 
Very Frequent Poster

Kitego wrote:
One thing that was never mentioned in the tests of all those kites, build quality!

I don't put too much stock into people's reviews of build quality based on visual inspection on the beach. I think the only way to tell the build quality is to see what happens after a year or two. A kite can have super heavy duty cross stitching and bumpers all over the place, but if there is a flaw anywhere that could cause a complete failure.

On the topic of build quality, I have to update what I have said about my very lightweight built 2011 Dyno lasting me years without issue. However, this past week, 10 minutes after self launching and heading out on the water, I was just riding along in a straight line when the leading edge fabric and bladder burst about 3 feet from the wingtip.

After getting back to the beach I noticed in the area where i had launched, what I thought were small brown pebbles in the sand were actually small sharp sharp chunks of a broken up piece of steel :( So I think that's what caused the disaster. Even if that wasn't what caused the issue, I'm still happy with how well this kite has lasted without any issues considering the lightweight construction and lightweight bladders. I've had no other issues in probably almost 100 sessions since I purchased it in Fall 2011.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 am 
Frequent Poster

davesails7 wrote:
Kitego wrote:

I don't put too much stock into people's reviews of build quality based on visual inspection on the beach. I think the only way to tell the build quality is to see what happens after a year or two. A kite can have super heavy duty cross stitching and bumpers all over the place, but if there is a flaw anywhere that could cause a complete failure.

On the topic of build quality, I have to update what I have said about my very lightweight built 2011 Dyno lasting me years without issue. However, this past week, 10 minutes after self launching and heading out on the water, I was just riding along in a straight line when the leading edge fabric and bladder burst about 3 feet from the wingtip.

After getting back to the beach I noticed in the area where i had launched, what I thought were small brown pebbles in the sand were actually small sharp sharp chunks of a broken up piece of steel :( So I think that's what caused the disaster. Even if that wasn't what caused the issue, I'm still happy with how well this kite has lasted without any issues considering the lightweight construction and lightweight bladders. I've had no other issues in probably almost 100 sessions since I purchased it in Fall 2011.

Thats around 20$ per session. Sound like a good deal to me.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

I got it new at the end of the season for $990 so less than 10 per session :thumb:

And I will be fixing it so it will fly again

[ 402 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 41  Next