All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review- Light wind kites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 pm 
Frequent Poster

loco4viento wrote:
I'd be interested in a light wind kite comparison that evaluates which kites can get people riding (upwind) in the lightest of light winds.

Most comparisons seem to be in somewhat light winds (10-12 knots) when lots of kites work. I'd like to know which kites would be the last ones out when the wind is dying. The kites that allow someone to ride when it's otherwise not possible. Maybe in 6-9 knots. And to compare kites effectively, of course they should all be compared on the same boards.

That might not interest some, but it would sure interest me.

When we did the Lightwind test the wind was 8-9 mph. So it was very much in the bottom end of the wind range. Also there was a bit of a current, so that took a little wind out of the sails. On a regular twin tip and not a race or foil board, the Contra, Flite, and Turbine are all in the same area.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:05 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:
When we did the Lightwind test the wind was 8-9 mph. So it was very much in the bottom end of the wind range. Also there was a bit of a current, so that took a little wind out of the sails. On a regular twin tip and not a race or foil board, the Contra, Flite, and Turbine are all in the same area.

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:02 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

You are forgetting the INFINITY V3 kite OceanAdventures. This is why loco4viento I am willing to send you the INFINITY V3 for you to demo in 6 to 9 knots to see what you think because I know the results. But again in 6 to 9 knots you are going to need a big board. Me personally as you can see from these videos I am using the INFINITY V3 with an SUP board in less then 6 knots out there.
If you don't believe me than take the chance to demo the INFINITY V3 and you will see it from yourself what this kite is all about.
For the past 7 weeks now I have been sending the INFINITY V3 all around the world because of the request from people watching this topic and 8 out of 10 have been very impressed with the performance of the INFINITY V3.

P.S. But again in 6 to 9 knots it's a different ball game and you need to be an expert in flying the kite while trying to stay up on the board. So in few words its not for the average joe kiter.

h[youtube]ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HDqDaIlzlk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 pm 
Frequent Poster

In the winds we tested not one of the riders could ride the Infinity upwind. I'm sure it was probably something with our board riding skills though. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:58 pm 
Frequent Poster

Yesterday was a no wind day here in the tropical paradise of Northern Ontario (i kid as it has been stupid cold) and I decided to take the Infinity v3 out to see how little wind that this kite would fly in. Now snow kiting requires much less wind to ride in but flying the kite is the same. Well upon arrival the projected wind was not there (10km\hr or about 5 knots) so I gladly pumped up the kite to wait and see if the wind would fill in at all. I would get small gusts of wind that was definitely under 5 knots (more like 2 to 3) and I was amazed to see the kite fly in the air! There was no way that this kite could pull me but still impressive that it would fly in such little wind. Now once the wind died out the kite wouldn't fly anymore but no kite that I have owned could even fly in those light winds. I don't claim to be a light wind rider but I can see why the XLkite guys like these big kites. The potential to ride in such light winds (I am certain that I would need at least 5-6 knots snow and 7+ knots water) has my interest peaked so I bought an Infinity :thumb: I am eager to see the full potential of LW kiting has to offer and look forward to increasing my kiteable days. I would recommend anyone to try this kite and see if it is the kite for them (it's always fun getting to try new gear)!

James

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 am 
Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:
In the winds we tested not one of the riders could ride the Infinity upwind. I'm sure it was probably something with our board riding skills though. ;)

Yikes! I really liked your review, and thought the format was pretty good, and I have assumed by your location (having ridden there myself) that you guys know your light wind kiting.

That being said, while I might understand not liking the V3 compared to the other kites, I find it extremely hard to believe that none of you could stay upwind on that kite. Granted, I have a V2 so I assume the V3 is better. I am a VERY AVERAGE kiter although I do spend a lot of time working light winds, and I have no trouble at all staying upwind on my V2. As a matter of fact, most of the time that I kite around other lightwind kites, I am often the only one holding my ground, and some of the kites you reviewed are having to walk back upwind. Sure, that is all about kiter ability and what board you are on, but I just can't believe you guys had that much trouble.

If you are looking for a lightwind kite, I would say to take all this "can't get upwind on the Infinity" talk with a grain of salt. I do know and believe it flies differently, but I have hours of really boring video that proves you can stay upwind on this kite in very light wind.

Sorry dudes, but it had to be said.

Peace.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 am 
Frequent Poster

KYLakeKiter wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:

Yikes! I really liked your review, and thought the format was pretty good, and I have assumed by your location (having ridden there myself) that you guys know your light wind kiting.

That being said, while I might understand not liking the V3 compared to the other kites, I find it extremely hard to believe that none of you could stay upwind on that kite. Granted, I have a V2 so I assume the V3 is better. I am a VERY AVERAGE kiter although I do spend a lot of time working light winds, and I have no trouble at all staying upwind on my V2. As a matter of fact, most of the time that I kite around other lightwind kites, I am often the only one holding my ground, and some of the kites you reviewed are having to walk back upwind. Sure, that is all about kiter ability and what board you are on, but I just can't believe you guys had that much trouble.

If you are looking for a lightwind kite, I would say to take all this "can't get upwind on the Infinity" talk with a grain of salt. I do know and believe it flies differently, but I have hours of really boring video that proves you can stay upwind on this kite in very light wind.

Peace.

Completely understand, and when the wind picked up we were able to ride the infinity upwind without much of an issue. And around 9 knots is light wind for a lot of people.

What people need to realize is the day we did the light wind test, people were playing frisbee on the beach around our kites. We were all in the bottom range of all the kites. In the super light wind on twin tips the pull of the kite guys were flying downwind. Bigger surfboard fins might have helped, and that's part of the reason I think we see Dimitri on Sups in lighter winds.

We never said the V3 wasn't a good kite, just that it didn't meet what we consider good for our light winds, which is less than a lot of peoples light wind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:50 am 
Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:
KYLakeKiter wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:

Peace.

Completely understand, and when the wind picked up we were able to ride the infinity upwind without much of an issue. And around 9 knots is light wind for a lot of people.

What people need to realize is the day we did the light wind test, people were playing frisbee on the beach around our kites. We were all in the bottom range of all the kites. In the super light wind on twin tips the pull of the kite guys were flying downwind. Bigger surfboard fins might have helped, and that's part of the reason I think we see Dimitri on Sups in lighter winds.

We never said the V3 wasn't a good kite, just that it didn't meet what we consider good for our light winds, which is less than a lot of peoples light wind.

Personally, I think it can do lower than 9kts, but arguing wind speeds on this forum can be a 500 page waste of time. :lol:

I hope to get down there some time this spring and see what you guys have got. :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:31 am 
Very Frequent Poster

OceanAdventures wrote:

That is very well said and furthermore for my light winds on a surfboard in the waves ...
...i could never be fully satisfied owning a medium size LW Inf V3...17 Flite... Contra 17...Turbine 17
...especially knowing that a larger kite that turns fast..loops fast..
...is readily available for max power / low end etc....etc...
:pump: :surf: :sun:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:32 am 
Frequent Poster

Hey Kurt,

I have read the last few posts that you have written on the infinity v3 and I cannot see how you feel that you need at least 9kts to go upwind with this kite? I have had very limited time on this kite, I am guessing it is probably the same amount as you, and I find that I can get this kite going in some very light winds. My first time out we had some lulls in around 5kts range (granted snow kiting) and the kite had adequate power to keep me riding. I really played around in the lulls to see how far I could push the kite to not pull me and I was able to constantly ride. I haven't had the pleasure to ride all the kites that you have but I am very familiar with the Epic feel so the kite felt familiar to me. Upwind on this kite seems to be a huge complaint for you but I am certain that you would have figured that out if you spent a little more time on the kite (also having the bar with equal line lengths would make a huge difference as well). I do have to thank you though.... if it wasn't for all the reviews that you put out, I wouldn't have really put too much thought in the LW specific kites. It made me curious to try out the Infinity v3 and now my wife thanks you for the money that I have spent buying one :lol: Keep the reviews coming brother and I am looking forward to seeing the cloud video. Also thanks for mentioning the bars that you used and what ones you found the most success on as it has been a concern for many!

James

[ 413 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 42  Next