All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alaia: Seaglass Tuna 6'2 Review
PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:38 pm 
Medium Poster

I had a chance to ride my new 6'2 glass Seaglass Tuna alaia board and my 17m Cloud earlier this week. I also own a Naish Alaia and a BRM Paipo

Positives:
- Due to the displacement of the Tuna it's a fantastic light wind upwind machine. In fact I was pointing way farther upwind than my friend whom was also out on a 17 and a Glide.
- Really sticky. The board feels like it has fins, and doesn't have that wood alaia or even Paipo feeling
- The rocker helps in chop
- You can jump it a bit.
- Fast once on a plane

Negatives:
- The ST constantly catches and wants to turn hard upwind, so you have to ride it flat. The feeling it very similar to riding a snowboard where the edge on the nose hasn't been detuned properly. I'm sure for pure surfing it's awesome though.
- Really sticky. Feels like your riding fins. While this can be a plus I found it hard to do sliding spins, but perhaps I just haven't figured out how to ride it.
- The high amount of displacement makes getting up feel very similar to kiting on a standup paddle board, and thus takes a bit of practice to get one's water starts dialed.

All in all the Tuna is better for light wind than either my Naish or my Paipo, but the Paipo will still be my go to board when not on a TT.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Alaia: Seaglass Tuna 6'2 Review
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:06 am 
Frequent Poster

Glad you like the board. I recommend a full deck pad to prevent heel dents. You didn't mention your weight. I've tried both the 5' and 6' Tuna. For me at 200#, I preferred the 6'.
For those unfamiliar with this board, here is a video:
http://vimeo.com/24568405

Last edited by sflinux on Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:31 am 
Medium Poster

Not familiar with these boards. But love my Paipo with fins and my Axis New wave strapless.
FYI both fun rides. Remember kiting is a "board sports."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:46 am 
Medium Poster

Got any pics?

[ 4 posts ]