All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Info on moving to Cape Hatteras area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:04 pm 
Frequent Poster

Sometime in the next year or so my wife and I may be looking to relocate to this area but I have a couple of needs. Which towns or cities, say within an hour or two from the cape provide the most culture, shopping and dining? My wife is not a kiter and would need some cultural vibrancy aside from beach combing.

Thanks

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: Info on moving to Cape Hatteras area
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:23 pm 
Rare Poster

Chesapeake or VA beach is your best bet. VA beach is 2.5 hrs away from Waves/ Rodanthe NC. You can kite Hatteras in the summer when its blowing SW and VA beach in the fall and spring when its blowing NW/NE.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:50 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Norfolk and Virginia beach, <2 hours from nags head.
You will likely prefer to live in nags head over hatteras,
if frequent access to mainland is important.
even if there are no bridge problems or washouts.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:52 pm 
Frequent Poster

Thank you. I like the idea of being near ORF for work travel. Can't wait to visit this spring.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:46 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Definitely a place to visit first. The kiting is awesome but wow do you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. I'm not a particularly outgoing person and I was going crazy after a week, just felt so isolated from civilization. I stayed in Rodanthe this summer and in Waves the summer before that. I think the closest I'd want to be is in Virginia Beach, not that you'd ever catch me living in VA.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:19 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Ouch that hurts my feelings as a Virginian.
But seriously now we have lots of transplanted Yankees Mexicans euros mid easterners etc. here in Va now, plus a clintonista mob leprechaun governor and all the commie that won't physically fit on the other side of the Potomac, and we farm out the job of hosting the populations of NJ NY and the entire Midwest to Florida!
So.
What's not to love about Virginia?
Oh wait I forgot.
We now also have the climate of Siberia, temps in the zero to twenty something range all week!
Fl looking pretty ok , at least in January! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:03 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Decide if you want to be at the beach or near the beach. 2 hours away I don't think is close enough if your goal is to have easily accessible Hatteras kiteboarding. You'll find yourself hampered by summer traffic and you won't get down there as often as you like. There are some great places to live near Virginia Beach or even across the bridge in Cape Charles, where you'll find good people and great kiting. BUT, if you are going for Hatteras, get yourself on the Outer Banks and live there. If you have to travel regularly for work, than get yourself closer to ORF. Pick your priorities first...
...and then decide if you have told your wife a lie or not and you can actually get her enough "culture." ;)
$.02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:20 pm 
Medium Poster

CaptainArgh wrote:
Decide if you want to be at the beach or near the beach. 2 hours away I don't think is close enough if your goal is to have easily accessible Hatteras kiteboarding. You'll find yourself hampered by summer traffic and you won't get down there as often as you like. There are some great places to live near Virginia Beach or even across the bridge in Cape Charles, where you'll find good people and great kiting. BUT, if you are going for Hatteras, get yourself on the Outer Banks and live there. If you have to travel regularly for work, than get yourself closer to ORF. Pick your priorities first...
...and then decide if you have told your wife a lie or not and you can actually get her enough "culture." ;)
$.02

CaptainArgh pretty much nailed it. The only culture on the OBX is beach culture. What you're looking for is in the Va. Bch/Chesapeake area, a.k.a. The South side of Hampton Roads. Right in between Cape Charles and Hatteras. You'll have plenty of kiting opportunities within your 1 to 2 hour window, and you're wife will not leave you because you moved her to an island with limited opportunities. Hampton Roads is a wonderful place to live with tons to do from Richmond to the beach. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 pm 
Medium Poster

This depends on your schedule. If you are a weekend kiter than I would think you are far better off living in the Triangle region (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). If you ever tried to get to Hatteras on a Saturday in the summer (May - Sep) on 168 from Tidewater, you would gladly get a root canal instead. Coming in from Raleigh on 64 is a cake walk even in the busiest summer day. So you are talking an hour difference without traffic, but a world of difference if you have to drive on a turnover Saturday. If you can get away whenever you want then live in Tidewater, if not consider Triangle region.
Quote:
but wow do you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere

Yeah it felt like that in the 70s, but you sure as hell are not going to feel that way now on Saturday morning at 11:00 driving south through Nags Head.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 am 
Frequent Poster

Don't do it.
...or try it out for a few months like November to February. That place is dead in the colder half of the year. Cultural vibrancy and Outer Banks are opposites!

[ 10 posts ]