All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: CrazyFly Sculp 2013 for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:49 pm 
Rare Poster

Anyone has experience with CrazyFly Sculp 2013? Would it be good for a beginner? How's its quality, manoeuvrability, speed, etc?

I'm a beginner and planning to buy my first kite (for at least 2 seasons). Am thinking of Sculp 2013 11m (with a 2014 bar). The new set with a board is at least 300 EUR cheaper than any other option. Does the lower price come at a cost of quality? Or a beginner won't see the difference?

Not may CF users out there, so would appreciate any feedback!

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 Post subject: Re: CrazyFly Sculp 2013 for a beginner?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:59 pm 
Medium Poster

2013 Sculps are very good kites for beginners. Relaunch is excellent, and I was really surprised that the upwind was so good for a deep kite. Those are going to be big priorities for you. Actually the upwind was good to where some friends I was riding with commented on how far I had traveled with a few tacks.

Turning speed is moderate, sometimes it benefits from a little pre-steering twitch to unlock itself from the edge of the window. Once the turn is initiated it generates plenty of power. No indication of it wanting to backstall through the turns. The bar pressure is on the high side. Jumping was good, hangtime was noticably long while height was ok. Ability to spill power when riding is good, not specialized wave-kite good but I've made some pretty tight turns with the kite low and stayed close to the face.

One thing I noticed that you want to watch - the "flat delta" shape means that the LE isn't really flat across it's center. When you put it down on the beach the center of the LE is well off the sand and the points of contact are a little further out than might be optimal. I observe mine bucking a little more than my other kites and usually am more attentive to keeping it pinned down.

The difference you can expect between CF and the other big brands is name recognition when you go to sell it in a few years. On the other hand, they have only been making kites for 2-3 years so they might be a more visible presence when it's time to upgrade.

Disclaimer - I sell a few CF kites a year. Not enough to make stuff up.

Post subject: Re: CrazyFly Sculp 2013 for a beginner?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:11 pm 
Rare Poster

I took my lessons last summer using CrazyFly Sculps and loved them, very beginner friendly kites.

[ 3 posts ]