Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: yes
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for NKB/Ion in North America

Re: North Neo 2014

Postby Dan-at-North » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Er Presidente-
That response was from Don, not me. One letter makes a big difference.

I have an email into Ken right now for clarification. And be aware that it is totally plausible that the single-line safety will be reverse-compatible with many of our earlier kites. When we started working with 4-line releases it was many years ago, and I believe we were having problems with older (2009ish) Evos when released to a single front-line going into a spiral. Once we designed our bar as a double front-line release, we designed the kite to work with the double front-line, but that does not necessarily mean they won't work on single front-line, simply that we never tested them for that. In fact I think the switch may have happened because we tested some 2013 and 2014 kites on single front line and found that they were no longer going into death spirals as some of the older designs were.

But like I said, I've already pinged a few guys for a more official word of compatibility of 2014 Neos (and other older North kites in general) with 2015 quad bar and will report what I learn.

-Dan

Er Presidente
Medium Poster

Postby Er Presidente » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:19 pm

oops Dan
sorry for the confusion thank you very much for clarification.
lets see what Ken says..
thank you again

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Dan-at-North » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:00 pm

Final word from Ken: 2014 Neo works on the 2015 single front-line release system. I suspect that many of our older kites will work on this bar, but I cannot guarantee any others.

-Dan

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby mr moon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:26 am

One question about lines:
Can we ride an 11m NEO on 22m or do we need the bigger bar on 24m lines?

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-North » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Not sure what you mean by 'can we'... You can ride any of our kites on any of our line lengths. I would not hesitate to ride the 11m Neo on 22m lines, but if you'd prefer the slightly faster turning of a slightly wider bar, go with the 24m bar.

-Dan

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone

Postby mr moon » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 pm

Dan-at-North wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'can we'... You can ride any of our kites on any of our line lengths. I would not hesitate to ride the 11m Neo on 22m lines, but if you'd prefer the slightly faster turning of a slightly wider bar, go with the 24m bar.

-Dan
Yes I meant if we don't loose too much turning speed. I guess the 22m lines for wave riding will be more suitable to a 7 or 8m..
I just wonder how these kites would perform on shorter lines, as opposed to the standard 24m length.
cheers

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:06 am

Hey Dan, how far up the line is the split on the north quad bar? I have a 12m Dice otw and plan on using my OR bars (i have 2014 5 line trust too) and am wondering if those splits are similar.
Ive read the low y split bars open up the kite a bit offering better low end, but take away from the top end.
Anyways, ill keep u posted but wouldn't mind specs please.

Dan-at-North wrote:Not sure what you mean by 'can we'... You can ride any of our kites on any of our line lengths. I would not hesitate to ride the 11m Neo on 22m lines, but if you'd prefer the slightly faster turning of a slightly wider bar, go with the 24m bar.

-Dan

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-North » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:38 pm

I don't have any official specs but I just laid out the two 2014 bars I have in the office and this is what I found (this is very inaccurate, using a tape measure that was too short and a good bit of eyeballing but it's probably accurate to within half a meter at least):

2014 24m 5th Element bar splits about 13m from the pigtails (measuring from kite end down to split)
2014 24m Quad bar splits about 20m from the pigtails.

Be aware that due to the differing safeties of 5th vs quad the 5th element distance above the split is maintained as you switch different line lengths, with the change in center line length happening below the split, so the 13m measurement is the same whether using 19, 22, 24, or 27m lines
Whereas the Quad maintains the length below the split, so a 22m Quad will split about 18m from the pigtail, and a 19m quad will split about 15m from the pigtails.

These numbers should generally hold for all our bars pre-2015.

I think in 2015 we have moved the split on the 5th Element down to be 14m and the quad up to 18m (according to a recent email from Ken) but I do not have a bar with which to measure.

Just to repeat my experience with using various height splits... It doesn't make a huge difference with any kite. I never noticed it on any kite before the Dice, and I've come to believe that my one negative experience on the Dice with the high split was due more to being grossly overpowered than some huge difference caused by the height of the split. I flew the Dice on various length quad bars the rest of the season and never noticed any performance difference due to the changing height of the Y that naturally occurs on the different length quad bars.

If you have any more questions feel free to hit me up here or on PM.

-Dan

atomic-chomik
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:28 am

You the man Dan! Appreciate you taking the time with that, thank you.

martyman

Dan-at-North wrote:I don't have any official specs but I just laid out the two 2014 bars I have in the office and this is what I found (this is very inaccurate, using a tape measure that was too short and a good bit of eyeballing but it's probably accurate to within half a meter at least):

2014 24m 5th Element bar splits about 13m from the pigtails (measuring from kite end down to split)
2014 24m Quad bar splits about 20m from the pigtails.

Be aware that due to the differing safeties of 5th vs quad the 5th element distance above the split is maintained as you switch different line lengths, with the change in center line length happening below the split, so the 13m measurement is the same whether using 19, 22, 24, or 27m lines
Whereas the Quad maintains the length below the split, so a 22m Quad will split about 18m from the pigtail, and a 19m quad will split about 15m from the pigtails.

These numbers should generally hold for all our bars pre-2015.

I think in 2015 we have moved the split on the 5th Element down to be 14m and the quad up to 18m (according to a recent email from Ken) but I do not have a bar with which to measure.

Just to repeat my experience with using various height splits... It doesn't make a huge difference with any kite. I never noticed it on any kite before the Dice, and I've come to believe that my one negative experience on the Dice with the high split was due more to being grossly overpowered than some huge difference caused by the height of the split. I flew the Dice on various length quad bars the rest of the season and never noticed any performance difference due to the changing height of the Y that naturally occurs on the different length quad bars.

If you have any more questions feel free to hit me up here or on PM.

-Dan

Dan-at-North
Frequent Poster

Postby Dan-at-North » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm

For those of you looking for info on compatibility of older 4-line kites with the newer 4-line bar and vice versa, here's what I've got so far:

Evos and Neos from 2012 on should work on the newer bar. All Dice should work on the newer bar. I have not heard that Fuses and older Evos will work on the new bar.

I believe that most 2015 Evos and Dice and Neos should work on the older bar, but I can't guarantee that. My feeling is that they should lay over as in the past, but my guess is that the worst that happens is that the kite will depower and sit straight downwind and sit nose-down in the relaunch position., but I'd recommend testing and always being prepared to pull the secondary if the primary doesn't work as expected.

Hope this helps.

-Dan

Return to “Kitesurfing”