*


All times are UTC + 1 hour



Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2206
Location: Save a life...adopt a Pitbull
SupaEZ wrote:
Yes in 5 mph LW specific kites will fly in the Florida winter (coastal winds) on a SW-SSW wind.
Well done Curt :thumb:
You could have easily rode an SUP :D
Yup, nothing new with some kites in the last couple of years.
As far as standing up on a SUP on the water, and going upwind....we've seen several videos of who can do that. :wink:
I don't see it in the video above...but there is certainly room to edit in additional footage....good luck.! :thumb:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:35 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2689
matth wrote:
That's pretty impressive. I am thinking of getting a North Nugget or similar board to go with my new Flite. Do you think that combo would work @ around 9/10 mph, I weigh 185lbs?


I think you could with that nice 17m2
Are you thinking of the 2014 Nugget? I have the 2013 at 165 lbs combo 19 XR3 @ 8/9 mph is fun!
Winter light wind is very different in power than summer light wind..so keep that in mind
So if you are going to maximize your light wind fun year round the 2014 5'5" should make it easier
:surf:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:39 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2689
Oldnbroken wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
Yes in 5 mph LW specific kites will fly in the Florida winter (coastal winds) on a SW-SSW wind.
Yup, nothing new with some kites in the last couple of years.


You added your 2-4 cents to Supa's quote
I will say that yes nothing new with some kites (like Inf V2 & V3 no real difference there)...but..
... soooooooo many got way ahead of that so called ultimate light wind machine in the past 2 years

You bin out how many days this year :?:
You ride a bigger kite than 14m :?:


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:18 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:16 am
Posts: 783
"Yup" U can stand on anything from your head to an SUP and even the USS 2-4 Aircraft carrier, BUT you ain't goin anywhere in 2-4 where the Kite is Flying! PERCEPTION IS REALITY!

:housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff: :kiff: :holiday: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :pump: :tv: :tv: :tv: :tv: :tv: :tv:
14


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2206
Location: Save a life...adopt a Pitbull
SupaEZ wrote:
You added your 2-4 cents to Supa's quote
I will say that yes nothing new with some kites like the Infinity and others.
You bin out how many days this year?
You ride a bigger kite than 14m?
Yes, larger than 14M.
I think the word you are looking for is been not bin.
But no, the water's colder than what is fun for me since the new year, so zero kite days in 2014, but I don't see it as some sort of contest. :wink:
Should warm up enough in the next three weeks to inspire me to go have some kite fun.
I still won't waste my time when it's super light though.
Several other fun activities take priority when the wind is shite.

Anyway, many of the light wind specific kites can float overhead in very light coastal winds like in the video provided by Curt above.
My point is that what he saw is not "head shaking new" to many who have seen and experienced this in the last few years, in coastal conditions.
The sarcasm about whether or not he could do anything with the kite, like going out on a SUP and going upwind, is just a bit of a joke, we all know who can get it done, and with what kite.. don't we? :lol:


Last edited by Oldnbroken on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:01 am 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 297
Oldnbroken wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
You added your 2-4 cents to Supa's quote
I will say that yes nothing new with some kites like the Infinity and others.
You bin out how many days this year?
You ride a bigger kite than 14m?
Yes, larger than 14M.
I think the word you are looking for is been not bin.
But no, the water's colder than what is fun for me since the new year, so zero kite days in 2014, but I don't see it as some sort of contest. :wink:
Should warm up enough in the next three weeks to inspire me to go have some kite fun.
I still won't waste my time when it's super light though.
Several other fun activities take priority when the wind is shite.

Anyway, many of the light wind specific kites can float overhead in very light coastal winds like in the video provided by Curt above.
My point is that what he saw is not "head shaking new" to many people who have seen and experienced this in the last few years, in coastal conditions.
The sarcasm about whether or not he could do anything with the kite, like going out on a SUP and going upwind, is just a bit of a joke, we all know who can get it done, and with what kite.. don't we? :lol:


Agreed, most kites can do that. My amazement was usually if you sheet in too much kites will backstall, I teach enough lessons in lite winds with death gripping students. This kite just wouldn't backstall, I could have unhooked and flew it like a trainer kite.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 am 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:17 am
Posts: 2206
Location: Save a life...adopt a Pitbull
OceanAdventures wrote:
Agreed, most kites can do that.
My amazement was usually if you sheet in too much kites will backstall.
I teach enough lessons in lite winds with death gripping students.
This kite just wouldn't backstall, I could have unhooked and flew it like a trainer kite.
The most interesting thing being that OR finally made a kite that didn't backstall like crazy.
I really liked their power and lift and construction.
But their typical backstall tendencies is what finally made me move on to Blade/Epic/Wainman kites, which have not had this issue, which is why I was surprised to hear you folks mention stalling issues.
I have had zero with Wainman/Blade/Epic.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 am 
Offline
Medium Poster

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:10 am
Posts: 197
i started out on wainman kites and have had blades/epic...the 12m OR razor does backstall in light winds, 12/13 knots and under, typically i depower it a bit in flukey winds, but man those other kites don't compare to the lift and power of the razors


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:50 pm 
Offline
Frequent Poster

Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 297
Oldnbroken wrote:
OceanAdventures wrote:
Agreed, most kites can do that.
My amazement was usually if you sheet in too much kites will backstall.
I teach enough lessons in lite winds with death gripping students.
This kite just wouldn't backstall, I could have unhooked and flew it like a trainer kite.
The most interesting thing being that OR finally made a kite that didn't backstall like crazy.
I really liked their power and lift and construction.
But their typical backstall tendencies is what finally made me move on to Blade/Epic/Wainman kites, which have not had this issue, which is why I was surprised to hear you folks mention stalling issues.
I have had zero with Wainman/Blade/Epic.


Wainman is definitely that way, one reason I rode them for so long. We will get to try out the blade here soon. The epic flew pretty well but you could see in the video it wanted to stall when we did the loop test, and it was the only one that did that, that was why we sent it back to make sure the kite wasn't defective.


Top
Profile
 Post subject: Re: Average Joe Kite Review - OR Flite 17m
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:14 pm 
Offline
Very Frequent Poster

Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:47 pm
Posts: 2689
Oldnbroken wrote:
SupaEZ wrote:
You added your 2-4 cents to Supa's quote
I will say that yes nothing new with some kites like the Infinity and others.
You bin out how many days this year?
You ride a bigger kite than 14m?
Yes, larger than 14M.
I think the word you are looking for is been not bin.



I said bin for special effect....instead of : have been
Was talkin cool like "Bille" :wink:

What is your kite bigger than 14.0?......is it a 14.5 Big Mamma ?..or a 17....what brand..what year ?
What is your low end ?
Why don't you like light wind ?
It shows on the thread that you did some editing at 3:05 am....what time was it really in Texas ? :sleeping:


Top
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic
 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], donohu90, FrederikS, lchen, Yahoo [Bot] and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group