All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: North Carolina Newbie Looking for Advice.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:34 am 
Rare Poster

I too agree Ty Luckett is the best! He also recommends using a shorts/seat harness so maybe wait to see if you like that before buying and/or getting a waist harness.

Given your size, you may want to try the Nobile Flying Carpet or a Spleene Monster Door. Easier to get up and riding on. Not so great in chop... but those boards are great for getting started on and become a light wind Twin Tip later on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:14 am 
Medium Poster

Stop by Radikal Kiteboarding and talk to Ed there. He'll get you up and riding on that Flying Carpet in no time.
I believe he offers the lowest prices on the island too.
First kite shop when entering tri-vilages, on your right, you can't miss it.
Jetskis and beautiful launching area behind the shop - right off NC12.
It is the new kite school in OBX, I'm sure he'll appreciate your business. Best service guaranteed.
www.radikalkiteboarding.com

Attachments:
IMG_3569.JPG
IMG_3569.JPG [ 114.53 KIB | Viewed 286 times ]
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG [ 103.41 KIB | Viewed 286 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:17 pm 
Rare Poster

I spoke to Ty for a good while yesterday. He's going to work me in on the schedule in March. I'm going to do three full days with him. Hopefully I can pick it up quick. I really appreciate the recommendations. :D Since I live close we are going to play it by ear next month. Seemed like a great guy, so I can't wait to start.

On Thursday I spoke to the good people at Kitezombies after recommendations I read, and I ordered all my gear. Bill spent close to two hours on the phone with me, and answered all my questions. As he was making recommendations I was searching the forum for reviews. He didn't pressure me into anything, and could have sold me anything being a newb. However it was apparent he really just wanted to help. He will get my business again.

I do a lot of diving, and one major no-no is solo diving. I'd imagine the same goes for kite-surfing as well. I'm hoping I can tag a long, and meet some members soon. I live on Pamlico River around Washington. The Outer Banks are all of 2 hours away.

My trainer kite should arrive in the next few days. I hope to spend a few days playing with the trainer before meeting Ty.

When I commit to something it's 110%. I'm sure this year I'll be burning a lot of gas going between the home and the Outer Banks. Any other recommendations for beaches closer to me would be appreciated. I hope to find an area/beach on the Pamlico River members frequent.

Again thanks for the advice! :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 am 
Rare Poster

Great decision to speak with, and ultimately work with Ty. He has forgotten more than people know about the sport and is a great teacher. He taught me and a buddy four years ago and we still see him a couple times a year. Worth every penny and then some. You can't beat being on a boat with three or four different boards and at least three different size kites - there is no time wasted.

Come back and let us know how you made out.

[ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2