Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: Tom Hebert the uncrowned Red Bull King of the Air

Postby Bille » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 am

longwhitecloud wrote:cool. I think riding in very high winds like this is just as risky , if not more so than wakestyle. as has been said - if you lose orientation and pull the bar wrong - you crash faster that gravity from 80 ft up?! huge consequences, surprised him and jesse stayed conscious... glad they did!

Not just High winds, but :
If kites get much better than what they are now , then people will start dieing ; even the Big-Boys
were getting hurt in that last Big-air comp. 25M jumps are Huge ; not much room for error
from that altitude. When flying HG's or PG's ; i feel Most at risk with anything below 300-400ft
because that's the altitude needed for a reserve deployment ; 80 to 100ft, is kinda the
Dead-Mans range, with no hope of coming out unscathed , if things go Bad !!

That last comp, with those near 25M jumps ; is that the highest jumps actually
documented with altitude recording devises ?

Bille

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Westozzy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:52 am

Toby wrote:superglue works for me!

just cut off an old foot pad ;-)

Fair enough. Might have to watch ya vid again..Free through the new streaming option as I've already bought one..lol :D

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 pm

Billie, now you know why I use an 18 and don't go smaller in strong winds.
Yes, the boys jump much higher, but do less tricks up there. The risk is huge, and I don't take that risk. If I tried, I would have already been injured big time, maybe wouldn't be able to kite anymore. I am 42 and the brain is on...us guys don't do that ;-)

In my winds with 18 sqm I can do way more tricks, since it leaves room for errors. If I crash I am less likely to get injured. This is why I can push so much further with tricks than anyone with a smaller kite.

The secret to all my tricks is my gear setup.

Kudos to the kids going for that risk and putting up a show!
But they all know it could be there last ride...I had kites stalling in me in kiteloops...so trust me, I am more than happy if all riders survive it...it could be really bad.

Fingers crossed for the future events!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Bille wrote:
longwhitecloud wrote:cool. I think riding in very high winds like this is just as risky , if not more so than wakestyle. as has been said - if you lose orientation and pull the bar wrong - you crash faster that gravity from 80 ft up?! huge consequences, surprised him and jesse stayed conscious... glad they did!

Not just High winds, but :
If kites get much better than what they are now , then people will start dieing ; even the Big-Boys
were getting hurt in that last Big-air comp. 25M jumps are Huge ; not much room for error
from that altitude. When flying HG's or PG's ; i feel Most at risk with anything below 300-400ft
because that's the altitude needed for a reserve deployment ; 80 to 100ft, is kinda the
Dead-Mans range, with no hope of coming out unscathed , if things go Bad !!

That last comp, with those near 25M jumps ; is that the highest jumps actually
documented with altitude recording devises ?

Bille

It is not the kites that make these guys go so high...

Of course the kites get better, and less loss, and easier to jump max - but IMO it is the conditions and skills almost only, that determines the height.

They are, IMO, not going higher now, than 3-4 years ago :roll:

Difference is, that now they got a device to measure the height - but take a look at older videos, or Ruben or Kevin when going high in Big Bay or other similar spots in past years - the same (AMAZING) height :rollgrin:

Would even say, that some of the really good riders could go practically same height in 2002 and forward, when the almost standard front line flying 4 lined C kites came, and conditions and timing were just bullseye :cool2:

Riders are getting better though, every year - so apart from conditions which is the primary height limiter, then rider stability, talent, and training and focusing on getting better and better, especially milking the power of the waves too for extra height, is IMO the very key here :naughty:

So the conditions and riders are the reason why we see these high jumps, and I dont think we will ever see consistent jumps approaching lets say the double height, no matter what gear we'll see in the future :wink:

Meaning - it is the riders that are better, going higher and doing more risky moves - because they are better.
Which of course leads to much bigger risk, WHEN it goes wrong :roll:

Its not the gear we can blame for any of the injuries IMO, it is ourselves.

But if you dont go for it and take a risk, it might be boring as hell - also a fact.

8) Peter

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:13 am

OH --YEA Peter !!

Ya made a ,"Really GOOD" case, for your point of view ; Ya got a convert !!
As Ya know, I'll fight hard for my point of view ; not much i can argue against,
with That one. :thumb:

Bille

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 am

Except. All other aspects being equal. Some kites will take you higher than others.

So the kite does have effect on height !

This was quite obvious with this event.

jedi1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jedi1 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:30 am

plummet wrote:Except. All other aspects being equal. Some kites will take you higher than others.

Not really in my opinion. Which kites did stand out so much for you?

Tom has jumped the highest, because he took a 9m2 delta kite (at the beginning even an 11m2), which by its shape has more power then a 9m2 C kite which others were riding. It was the same with Andries with a bow kite and similar with Kevin who rode a 10m2.

And to add something to the topic, a big applause to Andries Fourie who during his heat took care of Tom in the water, before the medical staff arrived.

fdvj
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: lancing
Style: freeride
Gear: naish nobile

Postby fdvj » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:15 am

jedi1 wrote:
plummet wrote:Except. All other aspects being equal. Some kites will take you higher than others.

Tom has jumped the highest, because he took a 9m2 delta kite (at the beginning even an 11m2), which by its shape has more power then a 9m2 C kite which others were riding. It was the same with Andries with a bow kite and similar with Kevin who rode a 10m2.

And to add something to the topic, a big applause to Andries Fourie who during his heat took care of Tom in the water, before the medical staff arrived.

What I did notice is how unstable the core and Draft kites looked!! Respect for looping that core so low.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 12
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 am

fdvj wrote:
jedi1 wrote:

What I did notice is how unstable the core and Draft kites looked!! Respect for looping that core so low.

I have to say I noticed that on the core kite as well, seemed to stall hey on the way up...

Return to “Kitesurfing”